[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Disk transfer rates

In <4433@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>  Does anyone have some hard disk transfer rates for different controllers.  I
>currently have a 2090 (one of those original, faithful buyers) and am looking
>into trading for the GVP (as per magazine ads).  I have heard of the Nexus and
>that it's supposed to give around 800K per second.  Using Diskspeed or any
>other similar program, what are the transfer rates of the controllers any of
>you have?  I particular I am looking for the new GVP controller and the Nexus
>but I would like to hear all, and please, let me know what size chunks are
>being used to read and write.  Thank you.

My best DiskPerf times for the 2090 included a CDC Wren IV, 327 megs, clocking
in at over 800K/sec. The 2090 does have problems with retries during heavy DMA
activity, does not support the CBM RDBs, and is not autobooting, but if I were
you, I wouldn't change just for speed reasons.

File create/delete:	create 16 files/sec, delete 52 files/sec
Directory scan:		102 entries/sec
Seek/read test:		125 seek/reads per second
r/w speed:		buf 512 bytes, rd 87381 byte/sec, wr 29454 byte/sec
r/w speed:		buf 4096 bytes, rd 291271 byte/sec, wr 187245 byte/sec
r/w speed:		buf 8192 bytes, rd 436906 byte/sec, wr 262144 byte/sec
r/w speed:		buf 32768 bytes, rd 873813 byte/sec, wr 374491 byte/sec

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (09/16/90)

  Does anyone have some hard disk transfer rates for different controllers.  I
currently have a 2090 (one of those original, faithful buyers) and am looking
into trading for the GVP (as per magazine ads).  I have heard of the Nexus and
that it's supposed to give around 800K per second.  Using Diskspeed or any
other similar program, what are the transfer rates of the controllers any of
you have?  I particular I am looking for the new GVP controller and the Nexus
but I would like to hear all, and please, let me know what size chunks are
being used to read and write.  Thank you.

maffett@upas.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett) (09/18/90)

   The new series II in my machine (2500/30) does about
800k r/w (-+10k) on a Quantum 105S.  It does about 1,120,000K (+-10k)
on a 610MB WREN.  With diskspeed 3.0 under CPU and DMA contention
these numbers do not change at all.  I have the Series II with the
8MB option (4MB populated).
   tim