[comp.sys.amiga] .lzh files

pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) (09/18/90)

Hi all,

A quick question -- all the LZH unpacker routines on abcfd20 that I could
find were already compressed via one of those same routines.  How do I
unpack the unpacker?  (Note:  I only downloaded LZ090.lzh & LZ090.Readme
from the /incoming/amiga directory after searching around.)  The Readme
made no mention of this problem so I decided I would need to use some
net bandwidth to ask this -- sorry if it's too simple or obvious.

-Phil

--------
Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.

castorca@EA.USL.EDU (Christian Castor) (09/18/90)

In article <30754@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>A quick question -- all the LZH unpacker routines on abcfd20 that I could
>find were already compressed via one of those same routines.  How do I
>unpack the unpacker?  (Note:  I only downloaded LZ090.lzh & LZ090.Readme
>from the /incoming/amiga directory after searching around.)  The Readme
>made no mention of this problem so I decided I would need to use some
>net bandwidth to ask this -- sorry if it's too simple or obvious.
>
>-Phil
>
>--------
>Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)
>Disclaimer: ME? I'm only a non-smoking cat; can't believe a word I meow.

(Gee, this sounds like "who was the first, the egg or the hen."  :-)
Here is a way you can decompress it, although it is a little
bit laborious:
- From abcfd20, on directory /amiga, extract the files "zoo-2.01.pak" (in
  case you don't have it) and "lharc-1.0.zoo".
- Unpak zoo. (To do this, just run the file "zoo-2.01.pak" on the Amiga.
  The .pak extension means that this is a self-extracting file)
- Now you can use the zoo decompressor to decompress "lharc-1.0.zoo"
- With lharc, you finally can decompress LZ090.lzh.

Note that lharc and lzh are functionally equivalent. Lzh, however, is
many times faster than lharc.
Hope this helps.

                   - Chris C -

    ///  Christian Castor: (318) 232-2045 (voice) - INET: castorca@ea.usl.edu