[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX-II and HD

tombs@ee.rochester.edu (Thomas Tombs) (09/13/90)

Greetings,
	I am seriously considering the purchase of an A3000 in the very
near future and have a question concerning the use of AMAX-II.  I
would greatly appreciate any responses.
	The question: Will I be able to partition the hard disk
on the stock A3000/25 (50Meg Quantum) so that I can have a seperate
section for Amiga programs and one for Mac programs?
	I get the feeling that most standard Mac software runs without any
glitches (?) with AMAX-II but if anyone disagrees let me know.  I'm
particularly interested in running the following programs: MS Word,
Cricket Graph, KaleidaGraph, and MacDraw II.
	Finally, if anyone has any opinions on the dealers in my area, Rochester
aand Buffalo NY, I'd like to hear it.

	Thanks in advance,
		Tom

dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca (Dave Buck) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.172444.25136@ee.rochester.edu> tombs@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>	The question: Will I be able to partition the hard disk
>on the stock A3000/25 (50Meg Quantum) so that I can have a seperate
>section for Amiga programs and one for Mac programs?

Yes you can.  This is currently how I'm running AMax II.

>	I get the feeling that most standard Mac software runs without any
>glitches (?) with AMAX-II but if anyone disagrees let me know.  I'm
>particularly interested in running the following programs: MS Word,
>Cricket Graph, KaleidaGraph, and MacDraw II.

I've tried MS Word and MacDraw II.  Both run fine under AMax.  Sorry, but I
haven't tried the others.  I've seen very few programs which don't work,
actually.

David Buck
dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca

| David Buck                    | My employer is not responsible for|
| dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca         | my opinions.  I'm not even sure   |
| David_Buck@carleton.ca        | I am.                             |

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (09/13/90)

>  The question: Will I be able to partition the hard disk
> on the stock A3000/25 (50Meg Quantum) so that I can have a seperate
> section for Amiga programs and one for Mac programs?

	The answer is YES... I have a 5Meg partition om my A3000
	right now, and it is easy to set-up.

>	I get the feeling that most standard Mac software runs without any
> glitches (?) with AMAX-II but if anyone disagrees let me know.  I'm
> particularly interested in running the following programs: MS Word,
> Cricket Graph, KaleidaGraph, and MacDraw II.

	I know that MS Word and MacDraw both work, as soed most all
	productivity software, especially with systems equipped with
	an MMU like the A3000.  BTW, a performance test program running
	on AMAXII says that my A3000 runs faster than a MacII....
	(WIDE GRIN)    ..not bad at all.

	Good luck,   -Mike-

----------

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (09/14/90)

In article <730003@hpmwngf.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>	                        BTW, a performance test program running
>	on AMAXII says that my A3000 runs faster than a MacII....

Your 68030 based A3000 (running at least 16 Mhz ... you didn't say which model)
runs faster with AMaxII than a Mac II... do you mean the 68020-based, 16Mhz
Mac II?  I hope it runs a good deal faster than that!  I would hope that
it runs as fast or faster than a 68030-based Mac with the same clock speed.

If not, I would have to wonder why.  AMaxII shouldn't have THAT much overhead,
should it?

>	(WIDE GRIN)    ..not bad at all.

It depends.  Faster than WHICH Mac II, and HOW MUCH faster???
I'd really like to know.  I plan on purchasing AMaxII sometime soon.  The
college that I attend may also purchase several copies of it (along with
several Amigas) based largely on my opinion.

>	Good luck,   -Mike-

Rodney (Curiousity is killin' this cat) Ricks

--
                                                                             //
                                                                       \\  //

Kevin.Mack@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Kevin Mack) (09/18/90)

Yes, Amax II will allow you to have both AmigaDos and Amax partitions on
the same drive.  I have found that MS Word, Cricket Graph and MacDraw
work fine, don't know about the other one, but if it is like most Mac
applications, it should work.

--
Kevin Mack - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!Kevin.Mack