[comp.sys.amiga] Fish disks 4 FTP, disk space and CD-ROMs..

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (09/18/90)

In article <1096@tau.sm.luth.se>, d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) writes:

> Well, ff -350 are at ux1 in /amiga/fish/. You can't ftp anything above 350
> yet. Sorry. You can try mailing Mike Schwager or Lionel Hummel or..
> (d**n I forgot the third guys name!) and ask *them* what's up.
>
> If you read this Mike or Lionel, please post a message telling us about
> the present situation. I suggest you post a message here in c.s.a every
> time you are delayed or 20 disks after Fred's distribution (like now).
> Give us some info - good or bad, but don't leave us in the cold, please.
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Guys, guys, guys (and gals!)..... I've seen at least 3 postings by Mike or
Lionel in the last two months (maybe 3) telling us that they've run out of disc
space. When they get more space, they said they'll put up the newer discs.

Nothing personal Michael B., but please remember that these guys are doing us
a *huge* favour - careful how you phrase your request....

Now, on a related note, how about the first USENET whip-around, pass-the-hat ?
Everybody send a small donation to Mike/Lionel to be able to buy a new
600M or so disc...hmmm, about that CD-ROM...how 'bout getting that for
discs 1-360, and using the valuable magnetic stuff for the newer discs...
Can it be done ? Anybody ?  (Seriously!)

Cheers,

>       Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
>   //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se
> \X/   U of Lulea, SWEDEN      ARPA:     d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> 			      UUCP:  {uunet,mcvax}!sunic.se!sm.luth.se!d88-mbe

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

v069qqqc@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Michael Carrato) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.094740.2847@csc.anu.oz.au>, myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes...
>Guys, guys, guys (and gals!)..... I've seen at least 3 postings by Mike or
>Lionel in the last two months (maybe 3) telling us that they've run out of disc
>space. When they get more space, they said they'll put up the newer discs.

How about temporarily purging some of the earlier disks to make room for the
new ones? I don't think anyone would miss disks 1-20 since (a) Most of us
have them by now, (b) Most of the programs have been updated on subsequent
disks, and (c) those that haven't probably aren't that stable on anything later
than 1.1. Maybe they could put disks 1-30 or so on magnetic tape and use the
space for the new ones..

>Nothing personal Michael B., but please remember that these guys are doing us
>a *huge* favour - careful how you phrase your request....

Yes, it is a great service they provide. And don't forget they're also the
guys that brought us PDC in its present form..

> Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
> Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
> PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
> markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

Mike Carrato
(no .sig)
^^^^^^^^^ but I guess technically that is a sig, right?? :-)