[comp.sys.amiga] Our hero....tad! :-)

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (09/14/90)

In article <30344@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, pmorris@bbn.com (Phil Morris) writes:
>>From: Tad Guy <tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov>
>>
>>>         VIEW      -   Allows you to view to contents of an ARC, LHARC, or ZOO
>>>                       archive.  (Lets see you do that with FTP :-)
>>
>>Oh!  A CHALLENGE!!
>>
>>I've added this feature to the FTP server on abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov,
>>
>>HA!
>>	...tad
>
> Go Tad, go!  Yeah team.

Uh, tad... if you're gonna whip up so much enthusiasm, including advertising
it in the abcfd20 message-of-the-day in CAPITAL LETTERS, could you at least
spell 'new feature' correctly ? :-) :-)

On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
you to examine a .readme file over the link ? It just has to scroll past
the screen, and then one can use the review buffer on the emulator (VLT)
to scan it properly. It's a pain having to GET the readme, finding out it wiped
the other file called readme on your disc... `!'escaping from ftp, reading it,
realising you got the wrong one, exiting...

or is this *too hard*.......:-)

> Phil Morris (pmorris@dgi0.bbn.com)

BTW: three rousing cheers to Tad for doing a great job as c.s.a/c.b.a.
moderator ! It's appreciated! (you missed getting a centenary cheer at
issue #300)
 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank

pfalstad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul John Falstad) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
>On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
>you to examine a .readme file over the link ? It just has to scroll past
>the screen, and then one can use the review buffer on the emulator (VLT)
>to scan it properly. It's a pain having to GET the readme, finding out it wiped

Doesn't "get README /dev/tty" work?

  I think there should be more race prejudice.  <slap> LESS race prejudice.

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
>On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
>you to examine a .readme file over the link ?

Why not use
ftp> get README /dev/tty
This works for me.       -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (09/15/90)

   TAD!!!!! I throw down the gauntlet...........

        Do that with .wrp file!!!!!!     HA!!!

   You don't have to deal with non ADOS disks at all (Just to make it easier).

   If you can do it come to UTA and I'll buy you a beer.

:-) :-) :-) :-)

--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (09/15/90)

In article <30491@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
> >On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
> >you to examine a .readme file over the link ?
>
> Why not use
> ftp> get README /dev/tty

Don't assume everyone uses UNIX (yet).

	...tad

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
> Uh, tad... if you're gonna whip up so much enthusiasm, including advertising
> it in the abcfd20 message-of-the-day in CAPITAL LETTERS, could you at least
> spell 'new feature' correctly ? :-) :-)

Oops.  It was late.  Yeah, that's the ticket...

> would it be possible to add another command which allows you to
> examine a .readme file over the link ?  or is this *too hard*.......:-)

Several people suggested this.  It's now the non-standard XCAT command...
In UNIX ftp style:

	ftp> quote xcat /README

does what you want.  Curiously, this tickles a bug at least one ftp
client program I've tried.  If you get a core dump from ftp program,
your client can't handle such a large reply (oh well...)

Oh, and I've rewritten the README and /etc/motd files... :-)

	...tad

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (09/16/90)

From article <TADGUY.90Sep14155249@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov>, by tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy):
> In article <30491@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>> In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
>> >On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
>> >you to examine a .readme file over the link ?
>>
>> Why not use
>> ftp> get README /dev/tty
>
> Don't assume everyone uses UNIX (yet).
>
> 	...tad

I always used:

ftp> get README -

From our ftp manual (yes it is bsd unix).  But should this be
standard for all ftp implementations?

from man ftp:

FILE NAMING CONVENTIONS
     Files specified as arguments to ftp commands are processed
     according to the following rules.

     1)   If the file name "-" is specified, the stdin (for read-
	  ing) or stdout (for writing) is used.

RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (09/18/90)

In article <TADGUY.90Sep14155249@abcfd21.larc.nasa.gov>, tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:
> In article <30491@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
>> In article <1990Sep14.202505.2828@csc.anu.oz.au> myb100@csc.anu.oz.au writes:
>> >On another note, would it be possible to add another command which allows
>> >you to examine a .readme file over the link ?
>>
>> Why not use
>> ftp> get README /dev/tty
>
> Don't assume everyone uses UNIX (yet).
>
> 	...tad
ok then try
ftp> get README TT:

IN VMS.
*  Brian Ridout                     Internet: ridout@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil    *
*  wl/scev                                                                 *
*  Kirtland AFB NM 87117            My Apple is better than your Orange.   *