[comp.sys.amiga] "Video" users...

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (09/18/90)

Marc Barrett <BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu> complains:

>    When a company has to resort to hacks to stay alive, that company is
> in dire straits.  Most of the products you mentioned (DCTV and HAM-E,
> among others) are video hacks, and totally incompatible with most Amiga
> software.  All of these products require their own software, and
> software written for one of these products will NOT run on one of the
> other products.
>
>    They are all totally useless for anything other than video
> applications. Not all of us are use our computers for video
> applications.  Actually, very very few of us use our systems for video
> applications.  So, how do any of these products help applications like
> CAD, DTP, scientific, or multimedia applications that require a
> high-resolution non-interlaced display with lots of colors?  They answer
> is that they don't.
>
>    Absolutely none of these products offer a non-interlaced display
> (which is important for most real-world applications), absolutely none
> of them will work with standard Amiga applications, like the few DTP and
> CAD programs that are available for the Amiga.  To make matters much
> worse, none of them will so much as even work with the Amiga's O.S. at
> all.

IMHO, CBM should be actively and aggressively pursuing the video user.
There are an awful lot of adds for cam-corders in every Sunday paper.
Each and every one of these is a candidate for a home system that allows
easy editing and titling of home videos.  I'm not talking about the
fancy genlocks, framegrabbers and toasters (someday???), but just a
simple Amiga with some provision for producing composite video output.

I do a lot of videotaping of sailboat regattas and can produce
professional looking titles with no more than DPIII and a slide show
program.  My biggest complaint is that there is no composite output on
my A2000.  I use the A2000 to create all the titles and then have to
move them to my A1000 to actually put them on tape.

Does anyone out there know where I can get a reasonable quality adaptor
that would plug in to the A2000 23-pin video plug and provide an RCA or
BNC connector for composite output.  It would need to be compatible with
the flickerFixer as well.  I'd appreciate pointers to manufacturers,
dealers, or even anyone who has a used one that they don't need anymore
since they bought an RGB monitor.

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>   or
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
 I didn't buy my Amiga to do video--- I bought my Camcorder because I
 had an Amiga!

givler@cbmvax.commodore.com (Greg Givler - Product Assurance) (09/18/90)

In article <30711@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>Marc Barrett <BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu> complains:
>
>Does anyone out there know where I can get a reasonable quality adaptor
>that would plug in to the A2000 23-pin video plug and provide an RCA or
>BNC connector for composite output.  It would need to be compatible with
>the flickerFixer as well.  I'd appreciate pointers to manufacturers,
>dealers, or even anyone who has a used one that they don't need anymore
>since they bought an RGB monitor.

It is called the A520 Video Adapter, I think that it lists for around
$50.00. Your dealer should be able to order one for you.

>   --- Cal

Greg

Greg Givler                        | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance        | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       | The NET: givler@cbmvax.commodore.com
"I'm a Hawk, you're a Tiger... We're our own Zoo" -- Countess Charlotte Malcolm
    -- From the Musical -- _A_Little_Night_Music_ -- By Stephen Sondheim --