[comp.sys.amiga] Dynamic Hires

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Jeffrey R. Allegrezza) (07/27/90)

does anyone know of a program to convert *normal* ham images to dynamic hires?
I downloaded a viewer for it, but can make nothing to see!

jeff

jra1@ra.msstate.edu

colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (bennie colyer) (07/27/90)

jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Jeffrey R. Allegrezza) writes:

>does anyone know of a program to convert *normal* ham images to dynamic hires?
>I downloaded a viewer for it, but can make nothing to see!

DigiView 4.0 can perform this function very nicely.  It's a bit time
consuming and from what I've seen the results can be somewhat less than
impressive.  (In terms of time spent watching the screen
flash.........endlessly........)

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (08/02/90)

In article <52298@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> colyer@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (bennie colyer) writes:
>jra1@ra.MsState.Edu (Jeffrey R. Allegrezza) writes:
>
>>does anyone know of a program to convert *normal* ham images to dynamic hires?
>>I downloaded a viewer for it, but can make nothing to see!
>
>DigiView 4.0 can perform this function very nicely.  It's a bit time
>consuming and from what I've seen the results can be somewhat less than
>impressive.  (In terms of time spent watching the screen
>flash.........endlessly........)

The Art Department can also perform this task. TAD supports ARES (Dynamic
Hi Res) and AHAM (Dynamic HAM). The files are interchangable.

It is interesting to note that our ARES algorithm and Newtek's DHR
algorithm both attack  the same problem but from completely different
approaches. You'll find that DV4.0 produces good results on some images
which TAD does poorly on, and TAD produces good results on some images
which DV4.0 does poorly.

In general, you'll find that TAD generated ARES images contain several
times more color than the same DV4.0 generated DHR image. Sometimes,
it is the fact that we use a lot more color that causes poor results.

On the whole I would remind everyone that ARES and DHR are little more than
eye candy - not a real useful mode for general purpose computing.

pk
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

swann@acsu.buffalo.edu (stephen swann) (09/18/90)

I recently downloaded DynaShow from a bbs, and I was pretty
impressed with the sample Dynamic Hires pics they included in the
zoo file.  Now, I've trashed the disk I had it on, and I can't
find DynaShow anywhwere either.

Does anybody know where I could find it?  (Fred Fish, maybe?), and
also, maybe even more importantly, is there a (hopefully PD)
converter to make Dynamic Hires pics (out of Gifs or Sun Rasters)?

Thanks.

--
Steve Swann                  *     "Speak to me in many voices; make
v061q3x6@ubvms.bitnet        *         them all sound like one... "