[comp.sys.amiga] What's the Status of Transformer

jimce@sssab.se (Jimmy Cederholm) writes:

>I've used version 1.23 of the Transformer on my A1000 with kickstart 1.3

This is an open question/request to CBM.

Is the transformer released as freeware yet?

You (CBM) no longer sell it or support Transformer any longer, so if it is
not already so, can you release it to the public? If not as PD then as
copyrighted freeware? It would be fun to hack around with and see what
happens to it.

[would be very nice if the source code got distributed too :-) ]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

In article <3164@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>jimce@sssab.se (Jimmy Cederholm) writes:
>
>>I've used version 1.23 of the Transformer on my A1000 with kickstart 1.3
>
>This is an open question/request to CBM.
>Is the transformer released as freeware yet?

NO

>You (CBM) no longer sell it or support Transformer any longer, so if it is
>not already so, can you release it to the public? If not as PD then as
>copyrighted freeware? It would be fun to hack around with and see what
>happens to it.

Problem is that the Transformer was not made by Commodore itself, it
is a product bought from another software company (forgot the name).
So they still hold the original copyright.

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/18/90)

In article <3164@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>You (CBM) no longer sell it or support Transformer any longer, so if it is
>not already so, can you release it to the public? If not as PD then as
>copyrighted freeware? It would be fun to hack around with and see what
>happens to it.
>
>[would be very nice if the source code got distributed too :-) ]

I would love to see CBM dump the source to the PD and let people hack on it.
It won't happen though.  CBM is probably afraid that something like that
would eat into their BridgeBoard sales.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - <AmigaMan>) (09/19/90)

In article <407@epicb.com> jerry@epicb.UUCP (Jerry Thompson) writes:

>I would love to see CBM dump the source to the PD and let people hack on it.
>It won't happen though.  CBM is probably afraid that something like that
>would eat into their BridgeBoard sales.

While I too, would like to see this happen, if you've ever used Transformer,
you know that it will NOT cut into BB sales!

"Well, it might work every 4 or 5 times"
Would have to be put on the outside of the packaging!

>Jerry Thompson

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)