[comp.sys.amiga] Mac convert needs help

rekula@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Venkat Rekula) (09/19/90)

Greetings,  I am in the process of selling my Mac SE/30 in order
to buy an Amiga 3000.  I have been a Mac user/programmer for a year and
a half now and just grew insanely sick of everything the Mac is.

I have a couple questions.

  1) What do you folks consider the best C development system
     for the Amiga? or would you suggest a combination of tools?
     Or do you suggest another language? I am also interested
     in the quality of code suggested compilers produced.

  2) Could someone direct me to ftp sites for Amiga stuff.

  3) Is there anything I should know about buying a 3000?

  4) If there are any organizations,sites,companies, etc that you think
     I should know about please send me info.

Chris Lloyd    - cabbagehead@saturn.ucc.umass.edu

Send to the above address, please not the reply address on this message.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/19/90)

rekula@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Venkat Rekula) writes:

> Greetings,  I am in the process of selling my Mac SE/30 in order
> to buy an Amiga 3000.  I have been a Mac user/programmer for a year and
> a half now and just grew insanely sick of everything the Mac is.
>
> I have a couple questions.
>
>   1) What do you folks consider the best C development system
>      for the Amiga? or would you suggest a combination of tools?
>      Or do you suggest another language? I am also interested
>      in the quality of code suggested compilers produced.

SAS/C 5.10. It's made for use with AmigaDOS 2.0. This is the first
compiler that I know of to do so. It's also the same compiler Commodore
used to write much of the AmigaDOS 2.0 code.

>   2) Could someone direct me to ftp sites for Amiga stuff.

abcd20.larc.nasa.gov
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
a.cs.uiuc.edu
mars.ee.msstate.edu
uafcseg.uark.edu
ftp.ecs.clarkston.edu
alfred.carleton.ca
pilot.njin.net (only has ftp list)
trantor.umd.edu

>   3) Is there anything I should know about buying a 3000?

Just remember that it contains a new OS version and that it isn't fully
compatible with older Amigas. (yet)

>   4) If there are any organizations,sites,companies, etc that you think
>      I should know about please send me info.

Remember to stay away from buying mail order from Montgomery Grant. I
like Computability. The only problem I've had with them was when they
accidentally sent me two copies of Tetris during the Christmas rush.
Also, Creative Computers and BriWall are also good companies to buy from.

> Chris Lloyd    - cabbagehead@saturn.ucc.umass.edu
>
> Send to the above address, please not the reply address on this message.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/19/90)

In article <2364@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, rekula@lectroid.sw.stratus.com
(Venkat Rekula) says:

>  1) What do you folks consider the best C development system
>     for the Amiga? or would you suggest a combination of tools?
>     Or do you suggest another language? I am also interested
>     in the quality of code suggested compilers produced.

Both Manx and SAS/Lattice are fine.  There are also pretty good PD
compiler communities growing up, but maybe someone new to the Amiga
should stick to the mainstream at first.

There are also good Modula2 and Forth development environments.

In any case, it can't hurt to have lots of memory.  A 3 MB machine can
be very pleasant to develop on even with only 2 floppies.

>  2) Could someone direct me to ftp sites for Amiga stuff.

There are several.  abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov is an excellent place to start.
Or, get Fred Fish's collection of 360 floppies of good stuff on CD-ROM.

>  3) Is there anything I should know about buying a 3000?

There is a very good educational discount?  It is a good machine?
It hasn't been out a year?

>  4) If there are any organizations,sites,companies, etc that you think
>     I should know about please send me info.

I think this group is a great source of all sorts of info.  You
might invest in becoming a developer (about $100?) and getting all
Commodore's Developer's technical info.  Buy a copy of the RKM manuals
from Addison-Wesley (1990).