[comp.sys.amiga] A little help from our friends

unland@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Special Projects) (09/06/90)

September 5, 1990

	Hi All,

	I recieved this letter in the mail today from a friend of mine
in the Barco corporation.  In this letter is a request which I will
reproduce here in the hopes of reaching many more than would be
possible in the conventional sense.

Beginning of Letter

	Dear Rick,

This letter was sent to us by a friend, requesting help for Craig
Shergold.  We would be grateful if you could respond to this
request.

Craig is a seven year old boy who has a tumor on his brain and
has very little time to live.  It is his ambition to have an entry in
the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of GET
WELL CARDS ever recieved by an individual.

	Please send a card to:

        Craig Shergold
	36 Selby Road
	Carshalton
	Surrey SN8 1LD

Then please send a cover letter and a copy of the enclosed list to
another ten companies of your choice, adding the names of those
companies to the list.

end of letter

As I am not able to reproduce the list in this news group due to
it's size I hope that all who read this might start letters of there
own of a similar nature and pass them on to another ten companies
with a new list.

Thanks Everyone!

Rick Unland

In article <14224@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Special Projects) writes:

>	Hi All,
>
>	I recieved this letter in the mail today from a friend of mine
>in the Barco corporation.  In this letter is a request which I will
>reproduce here in the hopes of reaching many more than would be
>possible in the conventional sense.
>

>Beginning of Letter
>
>	Dear Rick,

	This story is old. I've heard two responses. The first is
that it is all a fake. The second is that he has already received
the cards. I have heard this story many months ago.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait
NumCountries--

randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson) (09/06/90)

It was reported on CNN well over a month ago that Craig Shergold WILL
receive an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records (in a category
that was created especially for him).  He, his family, and the British
postal service are asking people to please NOT send any more get well
cards.   Craig himself appeared on the report, so I believe the report
was accurate.

Randy
randy@csseq.tamu.edu

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (09/06/90)

unland@cbmvax.commodore.com (Rick Unland - Special Projects) writes:

>September 5, 1990

>	Hi All,

>	I recieved this letter in the mail today from a friend of mine
>in the Barco corporation.  In this letter is a request which I will
>reproduce here in the hopes of reaching many more than would be
>possible in the conventional sense.

>Beginning of Letter

>	Dear Rick,

>This letter was sent to us by a friend, requesting help for Craig
>Shergold.  We would be grateful if you could respond to this
>request.

>[The infamous "Craig Shergold wants to be in Guinness so send him
>get-well cards" story]

>As I am not able to reproduce the list in this news group due to
>it's size I hope that all who read this might start letters of there
>own of a similar nature and pass them on to another ten companies
>with a new list.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

         DON'T PERPETUATE THIS STORY!  LET IT DIE!  AAUUUUUGHH!

This is an *>*OLD*<* story!  Craig Shergold is no longer collecting cards
and DOES NOT WANT ANY MORE!  In fact an agency in Atlanta is stuck with
a few tons' worth after collecting them on his behalf.

	 LET THIS STORY DIE!  DON'T PERPETUATE IT!  AAUUUUUGHH!

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Working to forget Craig Shergold in your lifetime...
Kenneth Herron

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (09/06/90)

This issue is about a year old.  Please stop posting stuff on this topic.

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   | - Batman (original)

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/06/90)

In article <14224@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Special Projects) writes:

>Craig is a seven year old boy who has a tumor on his brain and
>has very little time to live.  It is his ambition to have an entry in
>the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of GET
>WELL CARDS ever recieved by an individual.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!   NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (09/07/90)

September 6, 1990

	Hi All,

	I recieved this letter in the mail today from a friend of mine
in the Barfo corporation.  In this letter is a request which I will
reproduce here in the hopes of reaching many more than would be
possible in the conventional sense.

Beginning of Letter

	Dear Humanoid,

This letter was sent to us by a friend, requesting help for Craig
Shergold.  We would be grateful if you could respond to this
request.

Craig is a seven year old boy who has received 100 million post cards and
has very little time to live.  It is his ambition to have an entry in
the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of companies
*NOT SENDING GET WELL CARDS* to him.

	Please *NO NOT SEND A CARD* to:

        Craig Shergold
	36 Selby Road
	Carshalton
	Surrey SN8 1LD

Then please send a cover letter and a copy of the enclosed list to
another ten companies of your choice, adding the names of those
companies to the list.

end of letter

As I am not able to reproduce the list in this news group due to
it's size I hope that all who read this might start letters of their
own of a similar nature and pass them on to another ten companies
with a new list.  If this letter lasts as long as the previous one,
it may be possible to get *EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD* to *NOT SEND
A POSTCARD* to Craig!

Thanks Everyone!
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/07/90)

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) writes:

> This issue is about a year old.  Please stop posting stuff on this topic.
>
> AMH
>

> * Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you jus
> * Indiana University |-----------------------------------|  can't get rid of
> *    //	 Amiga Man   |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  bomb!"
> *  \X/	 At Large!   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   | - Batman (original)

It seems that a lot of old letters have come down the pipe. At first, I
thought is was local. Then, Andy (Who's only a machine away_) said that
this letter was old, and now I know.What is causing this?

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
 bugs! Just undesirable features!

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (09/13/90)

In article <14224@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Special Projects) writes:
[request for cards for Craig shergold]

AArgh. Please please please do *NOT* act on this request. Craig Shergold
does *NOT* want any more cards. This has been documented several times
in alt.folklore.urban

Jesper.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts

rmk@frog.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (09/18/90)

In article <14224@cbmvax.commodore.com> unland@cbmvax.UUCP (Rick Unland - Special Projects) writes:

>September 5, 1990
>	I recieved this letter in the mail today from a friend of mine
>in the Barco corporation.  In this letter is a request which I will
>reproduce here in the hopes of reaching many more than would be
>possible in the conventional sense.
>
>	Dear Rick,
>
>This letter was sent to us by a friend, requesting help for Craig
>Shergold.  We would be grateful if you could respond to this
>request.
>
>Craig is a seven year old boy who has a tumor on his brain and
>has very little time to live.  It is his ambition to have an entry in
>the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of GET
>WELL CARDS ever recieved by an individual.
>
>	Please send a card to:
>

>        Craig Shergold
>	36 Selby Road
>	Carshalton
>	Surrey SN8 1LD
>
>Then please send a cover letter and a copy of the enclosed list to
>another ten companies of your choice, adding the names of those
>companies to the list.

Take This Away!  This has been up and down USENET 10000000 at least.
Craig Shergold made the Guiness many many months ago.  He has gotten
all the cards he needs.

This thing is harder to get rid than herpes.

Rick Kelly	Charles River Data Systems	508-626-1011	rmk@frog.UUCP

nicthu@mcorp.UUCP (Nick "The Watchdog" Thurn) (09/19/90)

> >Craig is a seven year old boy who has a tumor on his brain and
> >has very little time to live.  It is his ambition to have an entry in
> >the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest number of GET
> >WELL CARDS ever recieved by an individual.
>
> Take This Away!  This has been up and down USENET 10000000 at least.
> Craig Shergold made the Guiness many many months ago.  He has gotten
> all the cards he needs.

Hopefully we have learned from this incident that this type of pyramid scheme
sounds good at the start (and obviously works), but is very difficult to stop,
and only gets more annoying the more times one see it.  (Just think of his
poor mailman!)
Rest in peace, Craig.  And may your letter, also!