[comp.sys.amiga] Where is Imagine?

bbs00244@uafcseg.uucp (Viet Ho) (09/16/90)

Hey, it's about that time, isn't it?   What's keeping
Impulse?  I've been slaving w/ Sculpt <-> TurboSilver
for two months now!  Where the heck is Imagine?

On another note.  Someone can give a review of Journey
Man???

In the mean time...back to
  Sculpt -->TurboSilver
          \
            Rayshade
            \
             DKBTrace

  -Viet

   Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu

besst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian E. Schwadron) (09/17/90)

In article <5265@uafhp.uark.edu> bbs00244@uafcseg.uucp (Viet Ho) writes:
>Hey, it's about that time, isn't it?   What's keeping
>Impulse?  I've been slaving w/ Sculpt <-> TurboSilver
> <Stuff deleted>
>On another note.  Someone can give a review of Journey
>Man???
>  -Viet
>   Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu
   I got a brief letter from impulse on Friday, Sept. 14th.  In it, impluse
claims that "IMAGINE should be in your hands in less then two weeks from the
time that you receive this letter...if you have ordered the upgrade"
   Interestingly enough, the Firecracker/24 is apparantly finished (it has
passed FCC testing) and has had its price changed to $1200 for the 1 meg
version and $1600 for the 2 meg version.  "You can order now, and you will
most likely receive the board by the end of October, maybe even sooner...
The paint program LIGHT will not be done until December..."   Hmmm...
   Sorry, I have no experience with Animation:Journeyman; I wasn't even aware
it was finished yet.
						Brian

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (09/17/90)

> bbs00244@uafcseg.uucp writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <5265@uafhp.uark.edu>
>
> Org.  : College of Engineering, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
> Person: Viet Ho
>
> On another note.  Someone can give a review of Journey
> Man???
>

>   -Viet
>
>    Viet.Ho@samba.acs.unc.edu

I was over at a friend's place the other night looking at A:J and I must say I
wasn't that impressed on the whole. There were two reasons for this:
1) The version I saw was not ready for release. It (1.0) is very buggy running
on an '030 machine. It may not be as bad on the '020 or 68000 but my friend
sure doesn't care to take steps backward to find out.
2) As usual, there's is the way everyone else does things - then there's the
Hash Enterprises method. The colour sliders are upside down. I'll be the first
to admit that there is no law saying that full saturation should be at the top
and absense of colour at the bottom, but it sure helps a person learn a piece
of softward faster when it adheres to a general sort of layout found in every
other piece of quality software available.
Just to qualify my first statement under (2):
        Roll - think of an airplane
        tilt - think of chair tilting back against the wall
        swivel - think of a swivel chair

        None of these analogies will get you closer to understanding Hash
Enterprises 3-space.
        Yes, the software is inovative. Yes, it's the only currently available
character-animation approach. Yes, it's inexpensive. Yes, the support is great.
Yes, yes, yes. I like the software and the ideas behind it. I just find it
agrivating that words I've used for most of my life have suddenly taken on a
new meaning.
There, I've said it. My apoligies to Mr. Hash and Mr. Baer.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (09/18/90)

Does anyone know if there is any work on  an Amiga version of Renderman?

--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (09/20/90)

In article <38733@unix.cis.pitt.edu> besst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Brian E. Schwadron) writes:
>   Sorry, I have no experience with Animation:Journeyman; I wasn't even aware
>it was finished yet.
>						Brian

Journeyman has been shipping since early August, and we are hoping to ship
the V1.1 upgrade this week.  The upgrade includes a myriad of bug fixes,
greatly improved ray tracing, algorithmic texture mapping (wood, marble,
wavy, etc.), extrusion along a spline path (for modeling), morphing along
a spline motion path, and probably several other features Martin hasn't
told me about yet.  Current owners of JMan will receive the V1.1 upgrade
at no charge.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER