[comp.sys.amiga] Kodak Photo CD

bkahn-ut@kodak.com (09/19/90)

Date: 09/19/90 09:52:13
To: AMIGA   --KODAKR

>From: Bruce E. Kahn, Ultra Technologies, M.C. 00501, K-NET 23-87315
Subject: Kodak Photo CD (long)
The following is a press release that was released yesterday about a CD system
to record scanned photographic (conventional) images onto a CD player. While
not directly related to the Amiga, I thought that it might be of interest to
the amiga community, particularly concerning the recent interest in CD
applications. What I find incredible, is that your friendly neighborhood
photographic processor will be able to put a whole roll of film onto a CD
(compatible with audio systems) for < $20! What kind of CD could this be? A
WORM drive? Note: I work for Kodak but do not have any involvement in this
project, and any opinions expressed are my own.

Kodak Announces New Photo CD System -- 9/17/90

  Author: Andree Mastrosimone, Employee Communica  Dated: 90/09/17 21:23

 The following was released at 10:00pm, ET on Sept. 17, 1990:

 KODAK PHOTO CD SYSTEM PUTS SNAPSHOTS
 ON COMPACT DISCS FOR TV VIEWING

 (KODAK, PHILIPS NOTE PHOTO CDs WILL PLAY ON
 CD INTERACTIVE AND ON CD ROM XA SYSTEMS)

 Eastman Kodak Company today announced a new photographic
 system -- jointly developed with Philips -- that can scan
 35 mm images and write them on compact discs.  These
 pictures can then be played back on television with new
 Kodak Photo CD players manufactured by Philips.

 Kodak called its announcement "a turning point in the
 history of photography."

 Kodak said the system offers quality far superior to that
 of current electronic still photography systems.  Officials
 noted Photo CD will yield opportunities for other Kodak
 businesses as well as consumer photography.

 The Kodak system includes:
     o   A new category of CD players made by Philips.
         Users will be able to enjoy either high resolution
         television display or digital quality CD sound from
         their Photo CD players.

     o   Blank recordable Photo CDs made by Kodak, each
         capable of holding up to 100 images.

     o   A photofinishing workstation consisting of a
         scanner developed and manufactured by Kodak, a
         computer made by Sun Microsystems, and a Photo CD
         discwriter made by Philips.

     o   Thermal printers and paper made by Kodak.

 The system will become available in 1992.

 Consumers will take their film to photofinishers for
 developing and receive standard prints as they do today.
 On request, the photofinishers will use the workstations to
 "read" processed 35 mm negatives and slides.  They will
 "write" digitized pictures onto Photo CDs.  Consumers will
 receive a gold-colored compact disc containing all the
 exposures on the roll.

 The Photo CD will be packaged in an attractive "jewel case"
 box--similar to those containing audio CDs.  The case will
 contain an index print cover sheet, with a grid that
 displays miniature pictures of all images on the Photo| CD,
 each with a number showing its sequential position on the
 roll and on the disc.

 Very high quality prints may be made directly from the
 Photo CDs with Kodak thermal printers.  Color, sharpness,
 and granularity are similar to those of prints made on
 photographic paper from original negatives.

 The first Kodak Photo CD player is expected to start at a
 list price under $500.  Photo CD service will be offered
 through traditional photofinishing outlets worldwide.
 Photofinishers will establish prices, but, since Photo CDs
 will not be sold to consumers until 1992, prices are
 difficult to estimate.  Kodak said a disc containing 24
 pictures could be priced "comfortably below $20."

 Kodak Photo CD players will have features and audio
 performance equal to today's CD players.  Kodak and Philips
 officials said models could include such picture oriented
 features as random access viewing, zooming and panning,
 editing and others.  Specific models and features will be
 described at the time of availability in 1992.

 SILVER AND SILICON: THE FUTURE OF MEMORIES
 According to Kodak chairman and chief executive officer,
 Kay Whitmore, the Photo CD system provides "a path to the
 future of memories."

 "Photo CD combines the best aspects of silver-halide and
 silicon technologies," Whitmore stressed.  "This is the
 answer for consumers who have wanted both the astonishing
 quality of 35 mm photography and the convenience of digital
 storage, display and manipulation.  Users can enjoy
 traditional photographic quality, and view their pictures
 on TV."

 The timing of today's announcement, nearly two years before
 availability, is deliberate.  "We want to allow
 photographic, electronic, computer and software companies
 time to prepare for the emerging market we foresee for high
 resolution digital still images," Whitmore said.  "This
 technology will provide the focal point for Kodak's
 electronic imaging strategy."

 CUSTOMER BENEFITS
     The new system's advantages for users are numerous.
     o   Users can enjoy pictures on television,
         alone or with others.
     o   The Photo CD player fits easily into the home
         entertainment center, and it plays audio CDs as
         well as Photo CDs.
     o   Disc "albums" can be created from any 35 mm
         original: color negatives, black-and-white
         negatives, and slides.  Customized video scrapbooks
         can be created on any theme or subject.
     o   Users can obtain high quality prints from the Photo
         CD itself, thus allowing use of the Photo CD as an
         "electronic picture file."
     o   Users can get high quality images for TV display
         from their 35 mm cameras without investing in new
         cameras.
     o   Since Photo CDs can contain up to 100 images, they
         can be returned to the photofinisher to add new
         ones.
     o   The Photo CDs will also produce high quality
         photographic display on Philips' new Compact Disc
         Interactive (CD-I) players.

 Images on the Photo CD are compatible with all TV systems
 worldwide.  Image quality exceeds all HDTV standards under
 consideration in the TV industry.

 PHOTO CD ON INTERACTIVE COMPACT DISC
 Philips announced that in 1991 the first Interactive
 Compact Disc players from Philips and other manufacturers
 will be introduced in the United States and Japan.  Europe
 will follow in 1992.  These players will have the ability
 to play the Photo CDs as well.

 PHOTO QUALITY ON PCs
 Kodak and Philips announced the Photo CDs will be playable
 on virtually any personal computer worldwide equipped with
 CD ROM XA disc drives.  (ROM is an acronym for "read only
 memory," a standard commonly used to record text and
 images.  XA refers to "extended architecture" that permits
 audio and video to be included).  This will give
 professional and commercial customers easy access to photo
 quality images in computer formats.

 Scott G. McNealy, president and CEO of Sun Microsystems, a
 leading Unix workstation manufacturer, sees numerous
 business opportunities for Photo CD.  "Photo CD is a
 leading-edge technology that will support a new wave of
 multimedia applications that are expected to dominate the
 next phase of computing" said McNealy.

 "The fact that our workstation is integral to Photo CD
 suggests the degree to which computers are already
 affecting commercial markets.  Sun customers in industries
 like transportation, insurance and medical imaging should
 find that Photo CD brings another level of simplicity to
 their tasks."

 LONG-RANGE GROWTH PREDICTED
 "We wanted to do it right," Whitmore said.  "We wanted to
 set standards for electronic imaging that would ensure the
 quality people have come to expect from Kodak."

 Whitmore added that Kodak's Photo CD will go beyond the
 home entertainment domain.  "While Photo CD was conceived
 and developed by the Consumer Imaging Division, with close
 cooperation from Philips' interactive media systems group,
 both the photographic and information sectors will
 capitalize on this innovation," he said.

 "For more than 150 years, photography has enabled people to
 capture their happiest moments," Whitmore noted.  "Photo CD
 suddenly offers a new means to manage those memories.  And
 many of the 250 million 35 mm cameras used in the world are
 employed in the service of every imaginable vocation and
 avocation.  We can imagine dozens of applications that will
 benefit our business.  Photo|CD thus represents something
 of a golden key.  We expect to be surprised and delighted
 by the doors it will open for a long time to come."
                              #

~

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/20/90)

The announcement stated that this "breakthrough technology" will be available
"in 1992."  Sounds like Tandy's THOR R/W CD technology anouncement from a
couple of years back.  I'd like to take this opportunity to announce a few
new technologies like HDTV, optical computers, and cold fusion which will
be available "in a few years."
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and