[comp.sys.amiga] motorola/intel

thamilton@ch3.intel.com (Tony Hamilton, WF1-81, x48142) (09/12/90)

To whoever posted the idea that Intel chips just don't compare to Motorola's,
I can not agree more.  They DON'T compare, because they follow two entirely
different principles.  Motorola utilizes memory-mapping, while Intel uses
Isolated I/O.  Each has various advantages and downfalls.  When saying they
don't compare, I surely hope you infer that they are nothing alike, and not
that one is better than the other.  The unfortunate thing is that most users
can only see the advantages of memory-mapping, while Intel chips are
appreciated most in the high end of the market.

Defending Intel interests across the globe...

                    Tony Hamilton

                 THamilton@ch3.intel.com

griffith@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Michael Griffith) (09/12/90)

thamilton@ch3.intel.com (Tony Hamilton, WF1-81, x48142) writes:

>Isolated I/O.  Each has various advantages and downfalls.  When saying they
>don't compare, I surely hope you infer that they are nothing alike, and not
>that one is better than the other.  The unfortunate thing is that most users
>
>Defending Intel interests across the globe...
>
>                    Tony Hamilton
>
>                 THamilton@ch3.intel.com

It is true that there are advantages and disadvantages to memory mapped I/O
and isolated I/O, but I still must disagree. Motorola chips are better, in
my own opinion (in other words, please no flames. Go ahead and disagree but
please don't get mad.) because of the somewhat higher degree of portability
and the support of the 68000 which enables the upgrade to full 32-bit code
to go so smoothly. The basic register set of the 68000 is still better than
that of the 386 (I don't have full stats on the 486 lying around, so I can't
tell you if that one does), with 8 general purpose data registers and 7
general purpose address registers (although a7 is most commonly used as the
stack pointer the use of a7 or any register as a stack is not strictly
enforced by it). I must say, I feel very hampered when programming assembly
on an 80x86 based machine because of the lack of registers and the strict
rules enforced by the use of segmentation/offset registers and the fact that
the four "general purpose" registers are hardly ever available for general
purpose. However, I don't want to mislead you into thinking I find no fault
with Motorola. The 68000 series has, I believe, around four different
exception frames for the stack. Also, I could have wished for an instruction
which provides chip identification so that it would be a bit easier to
recognize which version of the chip a program is running on. But for power
vs. price vs. performance I think I would always have to pick Motorola over
Intel. (Or rather when forced to choose between the chip series MC68000 and
i80x86.)

| Michael Griffith                     | If I had an opinion it certainly   |
| griffith@eecs.ee.pdx.edu             | wouldn't be the same one as        |
| ...!tektronix!psueea!eecs!griffith   | Portland State University anyways. |

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (09/12/90)

#define SARCASTIC_FLAMING :-)

In article <30140@nigel.ee.udel.edu> thamilton@ch3.intel.com (Tony Hamilton, WF1-81, x48142) writes:
>To whoever posted the idea that Intel chips just don't compare to Motorola's,
>I can not agree more.  They DON'T compare, because they follow two entirely
>different principles.  Motorola utilizes memory-mapping, while Intel uses
>Isolated I/O.  Each has various advantages and downfalls.  When saying they
>don't compare, I surely hope you infer that they are nothing alike, and not
>that one is better than the other.  The unfortunate thing is that most users
>can only see the advantages of memory-mapping, while Intel chips are
>appreciated most in the high end of the market.

Just exactly what "high end of the market" are we speaking of?  The high end
of the market either uses someone else's RISC processor (usu. NOT Intel's  --
MIPS tends to get a larger share of _that_ high end market) or makes their
own (i.e. supercomputers and the like).  If you're talking about high end PC's,
you're _still_ mistaken.  At least from _my_ experience, most programmers
prefer Motorola assembly over Intel.

I also have a few questions about your statements:

1)  Just what advantages are there in "Isolated I/O"?  (IMNSHO, "Isolated I/O"
    is a PR term describing the song and dance one has to go through to do
    I/O on an Intel machine.)

2)  Just what disadvantages are there in memory-mapping?

3)  Why isn't there a popular Intel machine with an OS better that MessyDOS?
    (OS/2 ("Half OS") and Windows don't qualify as better -- just different.)

4)  Do you really believe that the reason that the market has clung onto the
    IBM "standard" is the Intel processor in it?  (Analogy:  We've known
    that cigarettes were bad for us twice as long as we've known that Intel
    was  --  it's just habit.)

And lastly:

5)  How can you defend a company that constantly breaks away from the standard
    and starts their own?  (Remember EPROMs?  Couldn't make them ROM pin
    compatible.  Noooo...)

>Defending Intel interests across the globe...

Defending the globe from Intel... :-)

>                    Tony Hamilton
>
>                 THamilton@ch3.intel.com

#undef SARCASTIC_FLAMING

...of course, _some_ Intel chips are nice.  Just NOT the 80x86 or the i860.

greg...

        _ _  Disclaimer:  "What I _really_ meant was..."
AMIGA! ////
      ////   "Don't look so frightened.  This is just a passing phase -- one of
_ _  ////  my bad days." --Roger Waters, Pink Floyd's The Wall, One of My Turns
\\\\////
 \\XX//           Greg Harp                greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/13/90)

In article <30140@nigel.ee.udel.edu> thamilton@ch3.intel.com (Tony Hamilton, WF1-81, x48142) writes:
>To whoever posted the idea that Intel chips just don't compare to Motorola's,
>I can not agree more.  They DON'T compare, because they follow two entirely
>different principles.  Motorola utilizes memory-mapping, while Intel uses
>Isolated I/O.  Each has various advantages and downfalls.  When saying they
>don't compare, I surely hope you infer that they are nothing alike, and not
>that one is better than the other.  The unfortunate thing is that most users
>can only see the advantages of memory-mapping, while Intel chips are
>appreciated most in the high end of the market.
>
>Defending Intel interests across the globe...
>                    Tony Hamilton
>                 THamilton@ch3.intel.com

Well, I'm going to indulge myself, just this once, in this public forum...

I think Intel made these mistakes in the original 8086 16-bit architecture,
and programmers have been paying for it ever since:

  Foremost, segmented memory, irritated further by the 64K segment size.
  No definition of a privileged supervisor mode.
  Specialized-purpose register set.

The 286 had a particularly nasty mistake: the new protected mode would
not run real mode 8086 programs, because it redefined the interpretation
of segment values.  This seems particularly idiotic to me, especially
when it should have been clear to Intel at the time that a large part of
their future would be governed by the IBM PC and it's the ability to run
it's applications.  At least it has a compatible real mode, but you
still only get a 1 Meg address space.

On the other hand, Motorola had particular foresight when it designed
the 68K to be a 32 bit architecture.  This is probably the reason why
all the engineering workstations (machines that really needed to be
fast) designed in the early 80's used it.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

As Larry has said here, it is impossible to both understand and appreciate
the Intel architecture.

In article <30140@nigel.ee.udel.edu> thamilton@ch3.intel.com (Tony Hamilton, WF1-81, x48142) writes:
>To whoever posted the idea that Intel chips just don't compare to Motorola's,
>I can not agree more.  They DON'T compare, because they follow two entirely
>different principles.  Motorola utilizes memory-mapping, while Intel uses
>Isolated I/O.

You're missing the point.  First of all, dedicated I/O instructions are an
extremely archaic concept.  I imagine the only reason they existed on the
8088 in the first place was because the 8088 was designed to be relatively
close to assembly-source level compatible with 8080/8085 machines.  The use
of this technique in the 8080 was mainly to get around address space limits
(you could have 64K AND I/O devices at once), but it's a horrible waste of
instruction decoding, and the rest of the world does fine without it.

You will find that this architectural foolishness is just about nonexistant
outside of the 80x86 family.  Even other Intel chips, like the i860, do
things the modern way, by memory mapping.  I don't know of any modern
microprocessor that supports I/O-only instructions.

The generic objections to the Intel architecture, however, have absolutely
nothing to do with I/O mapping.  They have to do with segmentation.
Segmentation is one of the more truely evil concepts in the microprocessor
industry.  Again, this was something Intel adpoted to make the transition
from 8080 to 8088 less painful.  It worked to that end, but has been causing
endless pain every since.  Motorola, which was in a similar position in the
70's, chose instead to scrap any notions of pseudo-compatibility with their
8-bit line, and instead do a 16 bit microprocessor correctly.  Their solution
was to make the programmer's model a full 32 bit model, rather than kludging
around with a 16 bit model and some banking scheme (eg, everyone then knew
that 64K of addressing wasn't enough).

The end result has been that every subsequent generation of Motorola 680x0
uses the same programmer's model.  Every generation of Intel 80x86, execept
for the 80386->80486 jump, has had a new programmer's model and special
hardware modes to support the old models.  The reason they 80486 has the
same model as the 80386?  The 80386 was the first 80x86 CPU to support a
true 32 bit programmer's model, which made segments unnecessary.  So there
was no reason to change anything.

>The unfortunate thing is that most users can only see the advantages of
>memory-mapping, while Intel chips are appreciated most in the high end of
>the market.

The Intel 80x86 architecture isn't appreciated anywhere near the high end of
any market.  It's used by folks who find 80486 machines a good bang/buck, or
by folks who find that the installed base of 30-40 million MS-DOS machines
and growth of another 10 million or so a year tends to make rather esoteric
programs available on the market.  Or by people who don't know any better.
But there are few, if any, people who choose 80x86 machines because they
admire their architecture.  And I'm willing to bet just as many people buy
Ford Escorts for their styling.

>Defending Intel interests across the globe...

Now there's a lost cause...

>                    Tony Hamilton
      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/15/90)

Intel chips are appreciated mostly in the "high-end"?

Well, where do you define the "high-end"?  High-end of the PC market
maybe...but up until more companies supplying RISC based systems, Motorolla
dominated the workstation market.  I've heard from UNIX users, and read in
more than one book or magazine, that Intel chips aren't really cut out for
UNIX based applications.  Up until the i860 (the only chip they produce that I
think is worth a ....), Intel chips weren't really suited for graphic based
applications.

Intel based systems with FPUs have good math performance, I'll grant them
that.

Intel also has a problem with QC...

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

bernie@DIALix.UUCP (Bernd Felsche) (09/15/90)

In article <14427@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>As Larry has said here, it is impossible to both understand and appreciate
>the Intel architecture.

ditto

[quote deleted]

>You're missing the point.  First of all, dedicated I/O instructions are an
>extremely archaic concept.  I imagine the only reason they existed on the
>8088 in the first place was because the 8088 was designed to be relatively
>close to assembly-source level compatible with 8080/8085 machines.  The use
>of this technique in the 8080 was mainly to get around address space limits
>(you could have 64K AND I/O devices at once), but it's a horrible waste of
>instruction decoding, and the rest of the world does fine without it.

But, but what about the 680x0's MOVEP instruction?  It exists to
support the older 6800 chips.  And presumably consumes some
instruction decoding.

I know that "nobody" uses it, but it is there.  Or wouldn't you
class it as an I/O instruction?  Agreed, it is not I/O mapped. but
it *is* a special I/O instruction.

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

If we were all perfect, the world would be extremely boring.

bernie

jennifer@storm.UUCP (Jennifer Ann Hunter) (09/20/90)

In article <14427@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>The Intel 80x86 architecture isn't appreciated anywhere near the high end of
>any market.  It's used by folks who find 80486 machines a good bang/buck, or
>by folks who find that the installed base of 30-40 million MS-DOS machines
>and growth of another 10 million or so a year tends to make rather esoteric
>programs available on the market.  Or by people who don't know any better.
>But there are few, if any, people who choose 80x86 machines because they
>admire their architecture.  And I'm willing to bet just as many people buy
>Ford Escorts for their styling.

Our symmetry uses 80386's. This machine I am posting from is a 80486 based
machine, and benches faster than a Sun SPARCstation 1+ (well, about the
same, actually). I don't know much about the actual architecture of the
80386/68030, though I have done some (limited) assembly in SPARC, 80386,
and Motorola 68030 assembly. There are major differences, and I admit that the
80386 is a bit bewildering, but to be fair I started on SPARC, then moved
to 68030, then tried 80386. The 68030 is easier to program at an assembly
level than an 80386, but that isn't very important to the person who sits
and programs in C. The only time I ever even notice the differences between
the 68030, the 80386, and SPARC is when I have to write a fast routine in
assembly, and that is usually small or simple enough that the difficulty
to program is unimportant.

Here's a better idea: Just force everyone to use VAX CPU's. (would just
about obliterate the need for a high level language :)

I would be impressed to see a RISC based Amiga, something based off of
a MIPS R3000 or an IBM POWER chip, with the i860 as a graphics processor.
I guess commodore would have to rewrite a lot of stuff... oh, well, just
wishing. I wonder if a POWER or R3000 chip could simulate an Amiga...

--Jennifer

LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (09/20/90)

In article <566@DIALix.UUCP>, bernie@DIALix.UUCP (Bernd Felsche) says:

>But, but what about the 680x0's MOVEP instruction?  It exists to
>support the older 6800 chips.  And presumably consumes some
>instruction decoding.

They are not restricted to 68XX perpherial chips.  The 8-bit perpherials
can also have async bus cycles.  The bus controller hardware determines
whether the devices want async or sync (68XX) cycles.  There is no software
instruction to tell it what to use.

>I know that "nobody" uses it, but it is there.  Or wouldn't you
>class it as an I/O instruction?  Agreed, it is not I/O mapped. but
>it *is* a special I/O instruction.

Wrong again !!  ALF2 SCSI driver uses it.  It is a special I/O instruction
only in what it does - move alternating bytes to/from a data register.  This
can speed things up as it has a lower overhead (vs 4 instructions) to transfer
4 bytes to/from a 8-bit perpherial device.   Surely it can be replaced by
MOVE.B if Motorola decided that nobody uses it and they can't live without
that Silicon real-estate.

>bernie
>
>| bernie@DIALix.oz.au
>| I don't sign anything until I see the money. :-)

K. C. Lee
Elec. Eng. Grad. Student

P.S.  Please read up on 68000 User's Manual by Motorola.

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (09/20/90)

bernie@DIALix.UUCP (Bernd Felsche) writes:

>But, but what about the 680x0's MOVEP instruction?  It exists to
>support the older 6800 chips.  And presumably consumes some
>instruction decoding.
MOVEP not only supports 6800 chips but several other 8-bit peripheral
chips. It's a more universal concept.#

>I know that "nobody" uses it, but it is there.  Or wouldn't you
>class it as an I/O instruction?  Agreed, it is not I/O mapped. but
>it *is* a special I/O instruction.
If "nobody" is me, nobody uses it. I'm mainly programming STs, and the
MOVEP instruction sometimes serves me well to do some kind of interleaved
memory transfer or parameter shuffling. It is not at all worthless on
my machine, and I'd think there are many applications for it on Amigas, too.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de