[comp.sys.amiga] Amax w/ Non apple Laserprinters

v078p6g8@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Richard M Wasserman) (09/13/90)

	Does anyone have any experience using Amax with a HP Lasejet IIp
or compatible printer (esp. for graphics output).  I've seen a program called
MacPrint that lets a Mac use a non Apple laserprinter but I've been pretty
hesitant to shell out around $100 just to see if it works.  Thanks in advance
for any help/advice you can offer.
	Rich Wasserman

mjv@brownvm.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (09/20/90)

In article <35818@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v078p6g8@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu
(Richard M Wasserman) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience using Amax with a HP Lasejet IIp
> or compatible printer (esp. for graphics output).  I've seen a program
called
> MacPrint that lets a Mac use a non Apple laserprinter but I've been
pretty
> hesitant to shell out around $100 just to see if it works.  Thanks in
advance
> for any help/advice you can offer.
>         Rich Wasserman

 Hi!
 I use MacPrint with a LaserJet III on my Spectre GCR (the Atari Mac
emulator) almost everyday and it works wonderfully.  Since MacPrint
is clean enough to run under Spectre I'd suspect it would be ok under
Amax.  If you try MacPrint, try buying it from a place that will give
a return period. I ordered from MacConnection because they had a 30
day MBG incase I didn't work.
 Here's another thing to try. There is a PD DeskJet driver out for the
Mac and since the IIp understands the DeskJet's language (I believe its
HP-PCL level 4 vs. level 3 for the DeskJet? Correct me here if needed.)
you might be able to get by using this.

 If you want some more info on MacPrint just e-mail me.

Enjoy,
Marshall

--mjv@brownvm.brown.edu