[comp.sys.amiga] FTP

BROWN_DA%DENISON.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (02/17/89)

HEEELLLPPP!!!!

How do you FTP (get files) if you only have BITNET service????

Much appreciated.
David Brown
Brown_DA@Denison

alj@bilver.UUCP (arthur johnson) (02/18/89)

 Speaking of BITNET - how does one 'xmail' a message from UseNet to someone
on BITNET?
 The answer might relate to the FTP mail question, I hope.

--
Arthur Johnson Jr. -=> {uiucuxc, hoptoad, petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!alj
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  -=> alj@bilver.UUCP

janhen@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Jan Hendrikx) (02/20/89)

In article <411@bilver.UUCP>, alj@bilver.UUCP (arthur johnson) writes:
>  Speaking of BITNET - how does one 'xmail' a message from UseNet to someone
> on BITNET?

If xmail is a regular mailer, just mail to user@host.bitnet.  Example:
mail u211344@hnykun11.bitnet. The mailer should know the gateway
(cunyvm.cuny.edu), otherwise you might need to type
cunyvm.cuny.edu!u211344@hnykun11.bitnet.

>  The answer might relate to the FTP mail question, I hope.

I'm afraid not.

> Arthur Johnson Jr. -=> {uiucuxc, hoptoad, petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!alj

-Olaf Seibert

akcs.fbalady@tronsbox.xei.com (Freddy Balady) (08/21/90)

I'm new to usenet and i'm confused on how to use FTP.  I know it is some
kind of file transfer using UUCP but I have no idea on how to use it.  Is
there some kind of help file I can request that will tell me about FTP
and how to get a list of Amiga files, etc.  Also, is it possible to get
Fred Fish disks via FTP?
                                        Fred

UUCP : akcs.fbalady@tronsbox.xei.com
         or uunet!tronsbox!akcs.fbalady

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (08/24/90)

Well, thanks to all who responded about FTP.  I guess I should elaborate
on two points.  First of all, I have a mainframe account that I normally
use (this BBS just happens to have Comp.Sys.Amiga, and it's handy).  I
wouldn't think I could FTP from here.

Anyway, what I really need is help from someone who has used FTP from
an IBM VM/CMS system, since that's what I've got access to.  I also
have access to a Digital system if that's any easier.  I managed to
get into FTP, but when I tried the host, it just said "unknown host".
(I lost the host name too in a fit of organization).

The VM/CMS system has on-line help for FTP, but if you thought UNIX
documentation was twisted...

Thanks again.

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer

David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Plummer) (09/01/90)

Well, I can get into FTP from my VM/CMS system, but no matter what
node address I specify it says "destination unreachable from here"
or something to that effect.  Do you know of an FTP address that for
sure you can reach and that should be fairly simple to reach?

Thanks,
Dave

--
David Plummer - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!alberta!herald!weyr!70!David.Plummer
Domain: David.Plummer@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Standard Disclaimers Apply...

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (09/12/90)

        I hate to be such an incredible weenie but I have a silly
question...  In the sense of UUCP v1.03 and.or v1.06D.B, what is FTP?  I
know enough that it is a method of getting files that have been in
comp.binaries.amiga (so I was led to believe).  I just don't know how it
works, how to use it and what it can do for me.  I figured comp.sys.amiga.*
was as good a place as any to ask this because that is the computer I have
AND I'm talking about AmigaUUCP.  Any help or direction to help is much
appreciated.

        Post, Mail I don't care....but I'm sure someone somewhere does :-).

 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  or  ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (09/19/90)

        In some ways this is a general question but it has some relavency
(sp?) to the Amiga so I put it here (I also read this group regularly and
that helps too :-)

        I _REALLY_REALLY_ hate sounding ignorant in front of the world but
I have NEVER seen a message answering my question in 1-2 years so I thought
I'd finally ask it....What is FTP.  I know this much : you request and
receive files (archived) from a humungo machine somewhere that keeps every
binary passing through and maybe more.  What I want to know is :

        o How do I FTP?
        o What software do I need?
        o Do I need a special "connection" (ie. phone, data type etc)
        o Is it free?
        o Is it a local call? (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)
        o How do the files arrive at your machine?
        o Will my home machine be able to FTP?
        o much more

        In general I need an overview of FTP and how to use it.  There have
been many times when I'd like to but I'm uninformed (believe me, I've
looked for the answer locally but nobody really knows.  At least nobody I
know does.)

eb15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward D. Berger) (09/20/90)

Craig Lemon writes:
>o How do I ftp?

You execute the ftp program on your computer.

>o What software do I need?

You need TCP/IP software installed on your computer, this is available from
many vendors, for many types of hardware.  There are also freely distributable
versions available for many popular computer systems.

>o Do I need a special "connection" (ie phone, data, etc.)

Your computer needs a "network interface" connected to a TCP/IP network,
which is hopefully part of the Internet, on which all those wonderful FTPsites
reside.  This can be a static connection, like ethernet always plugged into
the network, or it can be dynamic, like a dialup SLIP (Serial Line IP).
Yes, you do need a special "connection" otherwise you'll only be able to FTP
your own machine/network, which may not be any fun :-(

>o Is it free?

Somebody, somewhere, pays for the network connection, the software, and the
hardware.  It may come as a unexpected privlege with your education, job,
but it isn't as free as a lifetime supply of air.

>o Is it a local Call?

TCP/IP isn't really related to telephones per se.  It is usually sent over
ethernet, token-ring, dedicated data-phone-lines, though access to it may
be done via dialing up a SLIP server, that is not the norm.

>o How do my files arrive at my machine?

They arrive as IP datagrams, at your network interface, and are reassembled
into files, by your TCP/IP software.

>o Will my home machine be able to FTP?

Yes, your home machine will be able to FTP, if it has the appropriate software
and network "connection", though most people couldn't afford much more that
9600bps, dialup slip for their network connection.  Business may have much
higher speed network connections that are always available for mail, etc.

>o Much More

I can't answer that question....

-Ed Berger
eb15@andrew.cmu.edu

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerrold Heyman) (09/20/90)

In article <02532.AA02532@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>I'd finally ask it....What is FTP.

ftp is an application written on top of TCP/IP.  It stands for File Transfer
Program, and is used as its name implies - to transfer files.  Files can be
transferred in either direction, and it handles wild-carding with '*' if you
use the 'mget' or 'mput' commands.

>        o How do I FTP?

This has already been discussed in a previous posting.  Basically you sit down
at your terminal and type 'ftp'.  If you get the ftp> prompt you've started,
if not check with your administrator as to what you need to add to your PATH
to access ftp.

>        o What software do I need?

ftp is part of the user applications that run with TCP/IP.  It will not exist
without TCP/IP, so you will definitely need to have TCP/IP to execute it.

>        o Do I need a special "connection" (ie. phone, data type etc)

To get to the various machines that are mentioned in this newsgroup, you will
need access to the Internet (but if you're posting here you probably have that)

>        o Is it free?

Depends on how your account is charged.  For the most part it is, but depending
on the accounting practices of the machine where you have access, you may be
charged for it somehow.

>        o Is it a local call? (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada)

Again, this depends on whether or not the machine where your account is local
or not.  You don't call into ftp, you log into a machine that has an Internet
connection.

>        o How do the files arrive at your machine?

The files arrive either as binary or ascii (depending on what mode you chose)
and then you have to download them to your Amiga (unless your Amiga is the one
thats connected to the Internet).  In my particular case, I get the files to
my account and then use Xmodem to send them down the phoneline to my Amiga.

>        o Will my home machine be able to FTP?

Yes and no.  The software is available for the Amiga (forget who sells it),
but to get to the various mentioned machines, you'll have to have your Amiga
somehow connected to the Internet.  The connection to the Internet costs
money.

>--
> Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
> lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  or  ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon

jerry
--
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ

martens@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (09/20/90)

Two hints:

1) if you're on a Unix system, type:  man ftp

2) there's a monthly ftp list here in comp.sys.amiga, so go back and
find that or wait for the next one.
--
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

	Currently popular among Iraqi tank commanders:  little yellow
	signs proclaiming "Child on board."

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (09/21/90)

You can also access FTP through mail by mailing BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
and sending the message HELP with no subject line....

/********************************************************************
 *      All of the above copyright by the below.                    *
 * Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys                        *
 *  "You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever."  *
 *              Larry Anderson                                      *
 ********************************************************************/

edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Rik Harris) (09/21/90)

jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com (Jerrold Heyman) writes:

>In article <02532.AA02532@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>>I'd finally ask it....What is FTP.

>>        o Do I need a special "connection" (ie. phone, data type etc)

>To get to the various machines that are mentioned in this newsgroup, you will
>need access to the Internet (but if you're posting here you probably have that)
NO!!!!   Internet is not Usenet.  You post messages to USENET, not INTERNET.
Internet is only a _carrier_ for usenet.  UUCP is another _carrier_ for usenet.
Check Craig's mail address '.UUCP' (looks like it's from his home computer).

This generally means that the article came from a machine that does it's
usenet postings using UUCP, not tcp/ip (that doesn't mean the machine can't
use internet).

for craig: you seem to be connected to the internet anyway (the .ca on your
first address in your .sig means this).  It looks like xenitec, your feed
computer has internet, but you don't (you're using uucp).  If you can log
into xenitec normally (ie not the uucp login), then you should be able to
use ftp (and then uucp the stuff to your home computer).

>>--
>> Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
>> lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  or  ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon

>jerry
>--
>Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry@heyman.austin.ibm.com
>AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
>AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
>*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's
                                                               ^^^ ^^^
		pity, does that mean I _can't_ blame ibm for this :-)

good luck
rik.
--
Rik Harris - edp367s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au           | Build a system that
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology,      | even a fool can use,