[comp.sys.amiga] Fred Fish fried in a FTP skillet

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (09/16/90)

What happend to the Fred Fish on the Internet FTP?

Mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu stopped the archive, and said that it would be
continued on 128.174.5.59, but they have done nothing yet.

All I can find are the occassional disks found on New Xanth.

What's up?

<<<=================--------- Cheap Ad ---------===================<<<
Phil Dietz                       SWL Lincoln    550 MEGS! 2 lines
252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu         (402)421-1963  IBM, GIFS, MAC, AMIGA

kchiu@triton.unm.edu (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep16.012014.24240@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>What happend to the Fred Fish on the Internet FTP?
>
>Mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu stopped the archive, and said that it would be
>continued on 128.174.5.59, but they have done nothing yet.
>
>All I can find are the occassional disks found on New Xanth.
>
>What's up?

	Yes!!! Where can I find the 350-370?!?!?!??!?? They are getting
VERY OLD!!!!!!

--
kchiu@triton.unm.edu

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (09/17/90)

252u3130@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>Mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu stopped the archive, and said that it would be
>continued on 128.174.5.59, but they have done nothing yet.
>
>All I can find are the occassional disks found on New Xanth.
>
>What's up?

Well, ff -350 are at ux1 in /amiga/fish/. You can't ftp anything above 350
yet. Sorry. You can try mailing Mike Schwager or Lionel Hummel or..
(d**n I forgot the third guys name!) and ask *them* what's up.

If you read this Mike or Lionel, please post a message telling us about
the present situation. I suggest you post a message here in c.s.a every
time you are delayed or 20 disks after Fred's distribution (like now).
Give us some info - good or bad, but don't leave us in the cold, please.

Michael
--
      Michael Bergman         Internet: d88-mbe@sm.luth.se
  //  Undergrad. Comp. Eng.   BITNET:   d88-mbe%sm.luth.se@kth.se

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/18/90)

> Well, ff -350 are at ux1 in /amiga/fish/. You can't ftp anything above 350
> yet. Sorry. You can try mailing Mike Schwager or Lionel Hummel or..
> (d**n I forgot the third guys name!) and ask *them* what's up.
>
> If you read this Mike or Lionel, please post a message telling us about
> the present situation. I suggest you post a message here in c.s.a every
> time you are delayed or 20 disks after Fred's distribution (like now).
> Give us some info - good or bad, but don't leave us in the cold, please.

Yes, we live...

We've kinda been- well, I'll try to be kind- we've been hosed.  Nobody's
fault, really.  People gobbled up the disk space on our wonderfully huge
partition very quickly.  It was being shared between Fish stuff and Mac
stuff and (ick) IBM stuff.  So- we ran out of space.  I don't see any
coming up any time soon.  Lionel is probably going to eliminate some of the
earlier ones, and then we'll put the latest ones up there.

I'm sorry for all the hassle.  I didn't want or expect this much
uncertainty.  I just wanted to sit here in my little office and feed disks
to my Amiga at 9600 baud, and upload them for the world to enjoy.  I have
money to buy disks with, I have equipment to upload with, but I don't
really have the time to do lots of error correcting.

Tell you what- I'll put 'em on a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1) within 24
hours of this note.  They'll be in ~ftp/tmp/fishes.  Anonymous ftp works over
there.  But be forewarned- they can possibly removed at any time.

For the future, I don't know.  I'll have to talk to Lionel about this.  We
might have to turn ux1 into a Fish FIFO...
-Mike Schwager                             |"We must never permit the voice of
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu              | humanity within us to be silenced.
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager| It is man's sympathy with all
BITNET:schwager%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd        | creatures  that first makes him
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.| truly a man." -Albert Schweitzer

schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/19/90)

Ok, I've put up the fish disks on a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1) in
~ftp/tmp/fishes .  This is 351-370 only.  Be forewarned!  This is an
unofficial posting, and could disappear at any time... but if they do over
the next few weeks, I'll just re-upload 'em.  So send me email if you find
them missing, and I'll re-put them up.

In order to alleviate some uncertainty surrounding this, I'll maintain the
disks on a.cs.uiuc.edu through September.  After that if the directory
disappears, I'll rebuild it only if there's enough space.  Don't depend on
it being there after October.

-Mike Schwager                             |"We must never permit the voice of
INTERNET:schwager@cs.uiuc.edu              | humanity within us to be silenced.
UUCP:{uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager| It is man's sympathy with all
BITNET:schwager%cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd        | creatures  that first makes him
University of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci.| truly a man." -Albert Schweitzer

lhummel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (09/20/90)

I have just removed Fish Disks 001-029 from ux1 and installed disks ff351-370
in their place.  If you still have need for any of the earliest disks, please
look to one of the other archive sites or contact me or Mike.

Before anyone goes off asking why 20 disks are bumping off nearly thirty, I'll
tell you that it is because Fred is putting more compressed material on his
disks.  Thus, we are getting less additional compression per disk.  I don't
expect to hear any complaints because you're getting at least as much material
as before.

If you find any problems with corrupted or missing files in this batch, go bug
Mike since he uploaded and packed 'em ;-)

< Lionel

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (09/21/90)

>In article <7200204@m.cs.uiuc.edu> schwager@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>
>Ok, I've put up the fish disks on a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1) in
>~ftp/tmp/fishes .  This is 351-370 only.  Be forewarned!  This is an
>unofficial posting, and could disappear at any time... but if they do over
>the next few weeks, I'll just re-upload 'em.  So send me email if you find
>them missing, and I'll re-put them up.

I tried to get to this site using BITFTP.

I received the following respomse:

>>>Access to CS.UIUC is not currently supported.

What gives? I get the same message if I use the IP address.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,moray}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

d88-mbe@sm.luth.se (Michael Bergman) (09/21/90)

lhummel@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have just removed Fish Disks 001-029 from ux1 and installed disks ff351-370
>in their place.  If you still have need for any of the earliest disks, please
>look to one of the other archive sites or contact me or Mike.

Well, that's ok with me. (I already have the useful things on ff <100 on
tape :-) The only way to reduce space taken by the ff archive seems to be
repacking everything with lharc.

I know this might not be a very good idea because lharc is only available for
some mainframe systems (like SunOS and 4.2/3 BSD, but it's all I could come
up with.

Mike