[comp.sys.amiga] How did I break Duplicate?

robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) (09/19/90)

All of a sudden, the Workbench menu command `Duplicate' has stopped
working for me.  This is WB1.3 on a hard disk.  The behavior is as
follows:  the new `copy of blah.info' file gets created for the icon but
then, immediately as far as I can tell, the machine gurus.  This happens
independent of the kind of file I'm trying to duplicate (directory or
data file).  If I do the (more or less) equivalent of `Duplicate' by
hand it works fine, so it's not like my file system is so screwed up
that no new files can be created or anything like that.

Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong?  How, exactly, does
Duplicate work?  If I wanted to assume that I somehow have a bad copy of
Duplicate itself, what do I restore from originals to get back to a good
one?  LoadWB?

Thanks for any help!!

--
Robert Reynolds                 inet: robert@hubcap.clemson.edu
CS Dept, Clemson Univ.    	uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!robert

gimme@solan4.solan.unit.no (Olav Gimmestad) (09/20/90)

In article <10515@hubcap.clemson.edu>, robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) writes:
|> All of a sudden, the Workbench menu command `Duplicate' has stopped
|> working for me.  This is WB1.3 on a hard disk.  The behavior is as
|> follows:  the new `copy of blah.info' file gets created for the icon but
|> then, immediately as far as I can tell, the machine gurus.  This happens
|> independent of the kind of file I'm trying to duplicate (directory or
|> data file).  If I do the (more or less) equivalent of `Duplicate' by
|> hand it works fine, so it's not like my file system is so screwed up
|> that no new files can be created or anything like that.
|>
|> Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong?  How, exactly, does
|> Duplicate work?  If I wanted to assume that I somehow have a bad copy of
|> Duplicate itself, what do I restore from originals to get back to a good
|> one?  LoadWB?
|>
|> Thanks for any help!!
|>
|> --
|> Robert Reynolds                 inet: robert@hubcap.clemson.edu
|> CS Dept, Clemson Univ.    	uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!robert
|> phone: (803) 656-6783

I do not know what's wrong in your case, but I think I have found another bug in duplicate or copy. When I click on a disk I want to copy, then select duplicate from the WB menu, then I click on the disk I wanted to duplicate so it not is higliighted anymore, then I select CANCEL on the requester an the Amiga GURU.
I use Kickstart 34.5 and wb 34.4. Is this an old bug? Is it ixed in V2.0?
		Olav Gimmestad

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (09/20/90)

In article <10515@hubcap.clemson.edu> robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) writes:
>All of a sudden, the Workbench menu command `Duplicate' has stopped
>working for me.  This is WB1.3 on a hard disk.  The behavior is as
>follows:  the new `copy of blah.info' file gets created for the icon but
>then, immediately as far as I can tell, the machine gurus.  This happens
>independent of the kind of file I'm trying to duplicate (directory or
>data file).  If I do the (more or less) equivalent of `Duplicate' by
>hand it works fine, so it's not like my file system is so screwed up
>that no new files can be created or anything like that.

I had something similar happen to me when I added an A590 to my system.
I'm running one of those memory gauge/clock programs which reports the
amount of chip and fast RAM available.  Whenever I use 'duplicate', the
fast RAM trips quickly down to zero, then the chip RAM goes down to
almost zero, then they both come back up to their former levels.  This only
happens if I duplicate something on the hard disk; duplicating things
on floppies doesn't do this.

Well, at the time, I was running FaccII and the asdg-lomem.library
and whenever the memory dropped during a duplicate, my system would
crash.  I took out the low memory library and now it doesn't.  The
free RAM still drops down to next to nuthin' when I duplicate something
on my hard disk, even something small, but it doesn't cause any other
problems.

By the way, does anybody know why 'duplicate' under 1.3.2 causes free
ram to drop the way it does?  I'd like to know...

_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet, @unc.bitnet    _buy_ them.
   |  || utoddl@next1.mscre.unc.edu
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

robert@hubcap.clemson.edu (Robert Reynolds) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.123701.772@uncecs.edu>, utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
> I'm running one of those memory gauge/clock programs which reports the
> amount of chip and fast RAM available.  Whenever I use 'duplicate', the
> fast RAM trips quickly down to zero, then the chip RAM goes down to
> almost zero, then they both come back up to their former levels.  This only
> happens if I duplicate something on the hard disk; duplicating things
> on floppies doesn't do this.
>
> Well, at the time, I was running FaccII and the asdg-lomem.library
> and whenever the memory dropped during a duplicate, my system would
> crash.

Thanks, Todd!  This is exactly what was happening to me.  I must admit
that when I first read your posting I thought you had to be kidding.
So, please -- will somebody explain why Duplicate behaves this way?!
If you don't believe it, just try it!

Please pardon this
useless extra text
required to get