[comp.sys.amiga] Animation:JOURNEYMAN

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/18/90)

I'm hoping that someone who is currently using HASH's Animation:Journeyman,
or, a rep. from HASH can answer a question for me.

I've read that Journeyman uses splines for motion paths.  Are there any
facilities for performing effects along those motion paths???  My main concern
is DECELLERATION...

I just got finished sweating for 2.5 weeks over an accident reconstruction
animation (the account was lost because my partner's 6MB A3000-25/40 blew
something, so we had no delivery system...sniff...my A3000-25/50 only has the
2MB it came with, so we couldn't even edit the 1200 some-odd-frame
animation!).  What was the real killer in this case was that a truck had to
show visual signs of deceleration along a curved path.  We constructed the
animation with Aegis/OXXI's Modeler 3D and VideoScape 3D.  I know, VS isn't
exactly SOTA, but it's motion files were easily edited with CED.

Will Animation:Journeyman make the next one, if not easier, POSSIBLE?

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

baer@qiclab.uucp (Ken Baer) (09/20/90)

In article <4465@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
>I'm hoping that someone who is currently using HASH's Animation:Journeyman,
>or, a rep. from HASH can answer a question for me.
>
>I've read that Journeyman uses splines for motion paths.  Are there any
>facilities for performing effects along those motion paths???  My main concern
>is DECELLERATION...

Yes, we call it motion ease.  Unlike most Amiga animation software, object
motion doesn't use keyframes, but rather motion channels (also known as
time graph editing.  This does not apply to relative actions (which are
keyframed).  In Direction, you draw a path (with splines and/or vectors),
load a character or object, (load appropriate actions if necessary), then edit
the channels for that path.  A channel is a graph representing some attribute
over time.  There are channel values for objects, lightsources, the camera,
and the target path (where the camera is pointed).  One of the channels
for characters (and the camera and target) is motion ease.  And the channel
graphing uses the same spline curves and/or vectors that are used for
motion paths and object modeling.  So, you have VERY fine control over
accelleration and decelleration.  The interface in Direction (where you
build the animation choregraphy) is very interactive, so you can do a lot
of fine tuning in the channels till you get what you want.  It is also worth
mentioning that the splines we use have very accurate shape control (unlike
B-splines, and Bezier curves, and even better than CTB splines).

>...my A3000-25/50 only has the
>2MB it came with, so we couldn't even edit the 1200 some-odd-frame
>animation!).

What kind of editing did you need to do?  If you were just manipulating the
frames, you could have used Animation:Editor which works on a frame by frame
basis, and can work with any size animation, as long as you can load 3
frames at that resolution.  2Megs would be plenty.

>Will Animation:Journeyman make the next one, if not easier, POSSIBLE?

It should make it MUCH easier.  JMan is designed for complex natural
motion, so the motion control is very advanced.

--
    //    -Ken Baer.  Programmer/Animator, Hash Enterprises / Earthling
  \X/     Usenet: baer@qiclab.UUCP  or  PLink: KEN BAER

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (09/22/90)

     Could someone post/send a comparison between Journeyman and Imagine!?
I am in the market for a GOOD 3d animation package.  I am quite familiar with
Sculpt/Animate 4D, but think that the rendering of animations is somewhat
jerky unless you have a ridiculous number of points on your motion paths.
(Still a bit inexperienced on the Animation side, but I managed to draw a
pretty convincing Enterprise!)
     Also, has anyone heard of "Live!"?  I heard it was a board that did some
real-time digitizing of video signals.  There was also a program that could be
used with it (but I forgot the name) that would trigger an event by doing
collision detection on the digitized image.  I.E. I could stick out my hand
and trigger a picture of a ball flying from my hand.  (This would be a good
way to synch animation to live action, which is what I had in mind, curiously
enough!).  Anyone know about it/have a price for it/know where I can get it
at all?  Thanks in advance!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |