[comp.sys.amiga] MultiMedia in PC-Week

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) (09/19/90)

I was just flipping through the August 13 issue of PC-Week, when I
came across a small article on multimedia on page 120.  As I read the
text of the article (a small portion of which I'll include after), my
jaw literally fell open.

	     "Last week [AutoDesk Inc., of CAD fame] launched a new
	multimedia business unit along with a new _low-cost_ [emphasis
	is mine] animation package, called 3D Studio.
	     The $2,995 package will let 386 users create 3-D graphics
	and snazzy special effects, such as cartoons and floating
	logos....
	     Although 3D Studio lacks sound capabilities...."

Do you see why my jaw dropped?  The "LOW COST" multimedia package THAT
HAS NO SOUND CAPABILITY costs MORE than my entire computer system!

AND THE AMIGA DOES MORE!  Sometimes I just can't understand the way
this industry works.  I can't understand why CBM in general is still
living down an awful reputation!  (And the fact that the awful
reputation was based on the best-selling computer of all time, the
C64, is anoth bit of irony to me.)

Please help me understand this.  Before I put my head through a window
or something.  (* Sigh. *)

+------///-+------------------| BRETT KESSLER |------------------+-\\\------+
|     ///  |         consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu          |  \\\     |
| \\\///   |              consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                |   \\\/// |
|  \XX/    |              (PeopleLink)  B.KESSLER                |    \XX/  |
+----------+-----------------------------------------------------+----------+

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (09/22/90)

In article <4052@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) writes:
> I was just flipping through the August 13 issue of PC-Week, when I
> came across a small article on multimedia on page 120.  As I read the
> text of the article (a small portion of which I'll include after), my
> jaw literally fell open.
>
> 	     "Last week [AutoDesk Inc., of CAD fame] launched a new
> 	multimedia business unit along with a new _low-cost_ [emphasis
> 	is mine] animation package, called 3D Studio.
> 	     The $2,995 package will let 386 users create 3-D graphics
> 	and snazzy special effects, such as cartoons and floating
> 	logos....
> 	     Although 3D Studio lacks sound capabilities...."
>
> Do you see why my jaw dropped?  The "LOW COST" multimedia package THAT
> HAS NO SOUND CAPABILITY costs MORE than my entire computer system!
>
> AND THE AMIGA DOES MORE!  Sometimes I just can't understand the way
> this industry works.  I can't understand why CBM in general is still
> living down an awful reputation!  (And the fact that the awful
> reputation was based on the best-selling computer of all time, the
> C64, is anoth bit of irony to me.)
>
> Please help me understand this.  Before I put my head through a window
> or something.  (* Sigh. *)

I advise people that mainstream computing is a MONOPOLY. It increments
technology at highest cost/profits and therfore is peddling
the Lowest Common demonimation junk that can be sold.

Still beleive we have a free market? The history of the PC is
of incrementing current technology, taking 3-4 years to catch up
to what it trashed ( CPM ) and then holding back progress
and trying prprietary advantage at every turn. I don't like
it, but they weren't wholloy sucessful ( witness clones, MAC, US! ).
Speaking of the MAC Apple was more successful at this game than IBM,
and it's catching up to them. ( ie MAC & Windows get to fight
for most snob appeal/least workable technology provider! )

MULTI-MEDIA computing is the first truly new application after
WP / DB / Spreadshets. Why, because of the AMIGA, and partailly
the MAC with DTP, and primarily because character DOS support not much else.

MM will be our salvation, trust me and send me all your money! 8^)

Or just wait & see!

Clyde