	From drux3!druxy!ken Wed Dec 31 17:00:00 1969
	From: ken@druxy.UUCP (Ken Herman)
	Newsgroups: dr.general
	Subject: NET.NEWS and ARG logins at DR
	I have received the following statement concerning
	recent NET.NEWS and ARG activity.

	Ken Herman

	Although we recognize the value of open and uninhibited
	communications in our work environment such as can be provided
	by NET.NEWS, we continue to experience abuses with NET.NEWS and with
	the anonymous login for ARG.NEWS.

	In order to cope with these problems in the short term, and until long
	term solutions are found, the following actions have been taken:
	Effective Friday Nov 4, non-project related news groups have been
	turned off. Effective Monday Nov 7, the anonymous login for ARG.NEWS
	has been eliminated.

	In the near future we will be exploring new policies and ways to
	implement improved communication mechanisms. The above subjects
	will be discussed at the 11/15 ARG meeting.

						A. Mizrahi

Things to note:

	management doesn't even know the name of the system ("NET.NEWS"?)

	"ARG" stands for "Action Research Group" - it is the official gripe
		system.  For several months, there has been a "dr.arg"
		newsgroup which could be posted to annonomously (via
		a public login).

	Their definition of "non-project related news groups" includes
		all netnews from outside of our Denver location:
		att.all, btl.all, bell.all, and net.all.

	The "abuses" referred to include (I suppose) several complaints
		about the recent elimination of net.jokes from our
		machines (because of the unusually offensive joke from
		Shell Oil Co).  Some of these complaints were anonomyous
		and expressed the sentiment "Affirmative Action, get
		off my back!".  The most recent "offenses" were two
		articles which objected to the fact that the local
		United Way campaign says you can designate that your
		contribution go to a designated agency, but if you do
		so the total amount given to that agency does not change,
		because other "non-designated" funds are channeled away
		from that agency.

TWO EMPLOYEES HAVE BEEN SEVERLY REPRIMANDED for those United
	Way articles (which were signed).
	THIS IS FRIGHTENING!

FOR THE FIRST TIME I'M WORRIED ABOUT SIGNING MY NAME!