[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive Purchase

ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) (02/22/89)

I know that I should've been paying attention to this topic the millions
of times others have asked, but hindsight is the best foresight...

I am going to buy a Harddrive for my 2000.  I currently have a 2052 2 meg
card as the only plug-in in the machine.

Of the three packages below, which is recommended and why?

GVP/Quantum hardcard (which version?)
Hardframe hardcard (which version?)
2090A + Make your own suggestion for a drive

I would really like to hear some suggestions.  If I choose the 2090A,
I would probably prefer an EXTERNAL drive to an internal one, since
I have two internal 3.5" drives and am awaiting the AT-Bridgeboard's
arrival.

I also would like at least a 40Meg drive, and not more than 80Megs.

Feel free to send me email, so that the net doesn't get all cluttered
up with the replies.

Thanks.

Phil Kasten
AT&T Bell Labs
!att!mvuxj!ksp

eve@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Eve) (02/26/89)

In article <1485@anuck.UUCP>, ksp@anuck.UUCP (p.s.kasten) writes:
> Of the three packages below, which is recommended and why?
> GVP/Quantum hardcard (which version?)

I just installed the GVP 40 meg quantum drive.
This is a hard card setup, and takes up just one A2000 slot.
The drive has a rated access of 19ms and a 50,000 hour MTBF.
Installation was very easy with the included software.
For autoboot operation you will also need to purchase 3 other
components:
(1) GVP Proms
(2) Commodore 1.3 Software
(3) Commodore 1.3 Proms
The drive is very quiet, and, for those of us who work with bigger machines
all day, makes the A2000 respond "like a real computer".  Now if I only had
more memory ...

aiki@watserv1.waterloo.edu (chfn) (12/11/89)

    I know this has been discussed countless times, but I've never had
the cash to buy.......UNTIL NOW.
    I have to buy a hard drive before the end of December(end of fiscal year)
and do not know which drive is better.....A590 or the GVP.
    I welcome email from the net as too which one offers better performance,
reliability, price, ease of setup(ie good docs).
    If I don't get any responses, I'll purchase the A590, from what I've
seen on the net I don't think I'd be disappointed

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (12/12/89)

I've got the Impact A500-45, with two megs of expansion ram, and I'm
delighted!  GVP has the easiest setup (just plug it into the side of the
machine, boot off the disk they give you, click on the Install icon, and
follow the directions) and the best customer support I've ever seen from a
hardware vendor.  They're always available for telephone consultations, and
if there's a problem with anything, they get back to you, even if it's long
distance.  I had a problem with the Seagate drive that was in my original
model, and rather than just replace the Seagate, they sent me a brand new
drive, with an upgraded board.  I haven't had a bit of trouble with
compatability, and I've run some pretty exotic combinations of applications!

GVP's the way to go, if you want your money's worth, >>after-purchase<<, as
well as a quality product!

Bill

Duncan.Lewis@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (09/23/90)

Well yet another question on Amiga's.
I am sure this problem has been beaten to death but I missed it.
I am tired of floppies on Amiga so I am in the process of buying
a hard drive for my Amiga2000.  I have the 1.2 roms.
The card/drive combo has to have the following features

 1) use scsi drives so when I buy a syquest  unit later on I can chain it
    onto the existing setup.
 2) have onboard memory expansion using dips,simms etc at least so I can
    go to 4-8megs.
 3) autoboot option <--- I hate the Long bootup time off floppy.
 4) cheap is very important, if you happen to be selling a controller,HD or
 combo, please e-mail me.
What are the best rated controllers by price,performance and reliability.
Thanks to all.
Considering the massive volume on this newsgroup, I'd appreciate e-mail

 -Duncan