[comp.sys.amiga] CDTV

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (06/12/90)

In <1990Jun12.025450.22009@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
                es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

|        Considering that CDTV was just announced, I'm surprised
|at the complete lack of discussion here.

    I have wondered about this as well. I think it is probably
  because the CDTV seems to be another household appliance, ie.
  the computer angle is not being played up. [I know that there
  is most of an A500 inside it, but hell, it doesn't even come
  with a keyboard!]
    What I personally want is to put a supported CD ROM player
  on my A2000. Does the CDTV get me any closer to this goal?
    <-Harvey

|CBM Techs: how does it work and what can it do?
|CBM Sales: Who is writing for it and what are they writing?

    "Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them."

 Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
 uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
 a186@mindlink.UUCP

	Considering that CDTV was just announced, I'm surprised
at the complete lack of discussion here. There has been almost
nothing mentioned about the system. CBM Techs: how does it work
and what can it do? CBM Sales: Who is writing for it and what are
they writing?
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

bryant@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jon Woolsey) (06/13/90)

Does the CDTV have an RGB monitor built in?  I think this would make a clear display advantage over other game machines.

jmartin@cbnewsd.att.com (john.m.martin) (06/14/90)

In article <1990Jun12.025450.22009@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

> 	Considering that CDTV was just announced, I'm surprised
> at the complete lack of discussion here. There has been almost
> nothing mentioned about the system. CBM Techs: how does it work
> and what can it do? CBM Sales: Who is writing for it and what are
> they writing?
> 	-- Ethan

Does anyone know if the "so called Baby" is going to be able
to write CD roms? This could possibly be the best hard drive
backup system around! :-)

       John

ab980@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Carwil James) (06/14/90)

When will the CD-ROM device in the CDTV be available for Amiga users?
How soon will it be available?
What is the driving language? Can software be written with AmigaVision?
Do developers get CD recorders?
Virtually,

--
|Carwil James-FreeNet BBS List Editor |InterNet: ab980@Cleveland.FreeNet.Edu|
|    / / Only Amiga  First In CD-TV   |Phone: (216)371-5729                 |

poirier@ellerbe.rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (06/15/90)

In article <9006131932.AA16222@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> ab980@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>What is the driving language? Can software be written with AmigaVision?
>|Carwil James-FreeNet BBS List Editor |InterNet: ab980@Cleveland.FreeNet.Edu|

My big, obvious question is: can you use CDTV as a computer???  I.e., can you
feed it AmigaDOS floppies and run Workbench and CLI on it?  Which is boss, the
CD or the Amiga?  Or both?

	Another follow-up question from,
	Charles Poirier   poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com

In article <1990Jun15.012118.768@dg-rtp.dg.com> poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (  Poirier local) and
<9006131932.AA16222@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> ab980@cleveland.Freenet.Edu write:

>What is the driving language? Can software be written with AmigaVision?
>
>My big, obvious question is: can you use CDTV as a computer???  I.e., can you
>feed it AmigaDOS floppies and run Workbench and CLI on it?  Which is boss, the
>CD or the Amiga?  Or both?

Well, as noone else of C= answers, here some infos of someone who has at all
SEEN this device (hope this all isn't secret anymore...):
It IS an A500 1 MB with a CD Player. Normally it is supposed to come only
with a remote control to use it as an intelligent CD player. There shall
also be an infrared remote mouse, joystick, and the normal A2000-like
keyboard, all of this optional. So the A500 IS the master, but normally
it doesn't show.
(All info subject to change every minute...)

--
Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel      //     E-Mail to
Commodore Frankfurt, Germany      \X/      rutgers!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

terry@comcon.UUCP (Terry LaGrone) (06/29/90)

In article <10728@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt5784a@prism.gatech.EDU (Walter G. Reynolds (JJ)) writes:
> Regarding CDTV: does anyone else besides me think that it might not
> catch on because you can't pirate on it?  Many, many people (not including
> myself-I have a 1000 and don't pirate) bought their Amiga 500's because
> they knew someone who had lotsa games, and would give copies away.
> I don't like it as much as the next guy, but it *is* a possibility that
> CDTV will fail because people will, god forbid, have to actually BUY their
> software...
>
> W.Reynolds.

The game market has lots of rental places now for Nintendo,  if CDTV does
what it is supposed to, these same locations will rent Amiga CDTV games,  the
critical mass is very large for this to happen.  Nintendo is in 28% of homes
of 12 -17 year old males.

Terry LaGrone

iain.bennett@canremote.uucp (IAIN BENNETT) (07/03/90)

Don't mind me asking, but were these comercials you made up yourself, or
are they real?  Also, was this up here in Canada?  I sure hope it was!
---

pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com (Pierre Altamore) (09/20/90)

Does CDTV really have anything to fear from CD-I?  I don't really know what
CD-I is although I would believe it's a different format, like AmigaDOS and
MS-DOS formatted disks, right?  Does it have any advantages over the format
CDTV is using?  Why did Commodore pick whatever they're using and not CD-I?
The new Amiga+ has a nice (kinda smallish) pick of CDTV surrounded by it's
optional peripherals.  Looks pretty spiffy.  I wish a mouse like that came
with my Amiga!

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!pierre      |   Critical Mass Software
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!pierre@nosc.mil   |   P.O. Box 23
Internet: pierre@pro-graphics.cts.com    |   Short Hills, NJ 07078

R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) (09/21/90)

CDTV is based on the Amiga.. CD-I is not.  Need I say any more?
No, seriously, CD-I from what I have been hearing is going to be
more or less an interactive *player* of graphics.  I don't know
or think that such player would be as sophisticated or should I
say versatile as a full fledged computer with a developed operating
system and peripherals, software, etc.  There are so many more
possibilities.
Commodore chose the ISO-9660 file system so as to be file compatable
with most CD-ROMs; it is also better suited for a non-writable medium.

NOTE- All I have said about CD-I is pure speculation! I've never seen
a CD-I player... But I've seen alot of CDTV's!!! B-)

Adios!
Marc Rifkin , r38@psuvm
Amiga Consultant/Artist
"Amiga is better."

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/21/90)

I'm wondering....

Because CDTV has and actual computer in it, with RAM and everything,
and because we've seen numerous emulators on the Amiga so far...

Could Commodore not compete with CD-I by producing a CD-I emulator
for CDTV??

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

871579l@aucs.uucp (Todd Lowe) (09/23/90)

In article <90263.211202JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
>I'm wondering....
>
>Because CDTV has and actual computer in it, with RAM and everything,
>and because we've seen numerous emulators on the Amiga so far...
>
>Could Commodore not compete with CD-I by producing a CD-I emulator
>for CDTV??
>
>                                                            Kurt
>--
From my understanding of CD-I it is similar CD-V(compact disk with video),
but shows one fairly low resolution every 2 or three seconds along with music.
If this is correct then a special decoder and video modulator is needed for
CD-I and a software emmulator just wouldn't cut it.

(CD-V btw is a 5" music CD with 1 music video and 7 or so no video songs.)

- Todd
871579l@aucs