[comp.sys.amiga] Alternate news readers

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (09/23/90)

A few months ago I saw a posting for a news reader
"comming soon to a comp.binaries.amiga near you"  What happened to it?  I've
been using Dnews for a couple of months and my initial elation over being
able to read news on my Amiga is wearing thin.  This is partially because of
the following:

1) The kill feature of Dnews is rather Utopian.  For a kill to work in the
   real world I need to be able to kill subjects, not just Message ID's.

2) I rather like to use the mouse, in general, but after using the keyboard
   for all reading operations it is a pain to have to grab the mouse and
   move some windows arround just to get to the next newsgroup.

3) Dnews wants to write it's config file in s:  I don't let anybody write to
   s:  That's on my workbench disk and I keep it write protected.

4) The followup, include article doesn't seem to work.  All that gets included
   is >In message-ID blah ....
   I don't get the actual article.

5) Dnews won't add a newsgroup if the *.dnewsrc exists.

So, is there a good alternative to Dnews?  Has Dnews been updated since the
1.06D release of UUCP?

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

andrew@cuenews.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (09/24/90)

In <900923.015641.CDT.C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:

>A few months ago I saw a posting for a news reader
>"comming soon to a comp.binaries.amiga near you"  What happened to it?  I've
>been using Dnews for a couple of months and my initial elation over being
>able to read news on my Amiga is wearing thin.  This is partially because of
>the following:

This sounds like my YARN posting (Yet Another ReadNews).  I got all of four
wasn't even sure if anyone in the US saw it (until now).

I haven't done much with the program since then, and it's got some pretty
rough edges.  I'll take a shot at cleaning it up in the next few weeks, and
seeing as mail out of here is seemingly sucked into a net.black.hole, I
don't even know if I can mail the thing to c.b.a.  I don't want to do
individual mailing as that might piss off the nice people who provide my
newsfeed, so I'll fire it off to Fred Fish (along with ASat, my satellite
tracking program).

To address some of your concerns:

>1) The kill feature
>2) I rather like to use the mouse, in general, but after using the keyboard
>   for all reading operations it is a pain to have to grab the mouse and
>   move some windows arround just to get to the next newsgroup.
>3) Dnews wants to write it's config file in s:
>4) The followup, include article doesn't seem to work.
>5) Dnews won't add a newsgroup if the *.dnewsrc exists.

1. No 'kill' as such, but you can delete subject 'threads' on a per-session
   basis.  A real rn-type kill has been on the todo list since day 1, though.
2. Newsgroups wrap - you get to the end of one, you start the next.  The
   scan for subject lines is a bit of a pain, though.
3. "news:.newsrc".  Assign it where you will.
4. If you're reading this, (f/F)ollowups work.
5. Edit .newsrc and add it yourself.  Otherwise, YARN has the same problem.

--
  Andrew Folkins  ...!alberta!edm!cuenews!andrew   Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
                                  ^A1000^