[comp.sys.amiga] NeXT has a newsgroup

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (09/21/90)

Not to jump on anyone's case here (I'm interested in the new NeXTs,
especially with regards to comparisons between Amigas).  I would just
like to point out that anyone with a desire to learn more about the
NeXT systems should check out comp.sys.next.  Perhaps we can avoid
non-productive postings of unverified information by first looking
in the "horses' mouth" (comp.sys.next).  Thanks.

--
John Lindwall			lindwall@ucsd.edu
"Oh look at me! I'm all flooby! I'll be a son of a gun!" -- Flaming Carrot

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) (09/21/90)

All this news about the 040 is great, except that Motorola has not put it
into full production yet.  They're sending samples to hardware developers,
and have been putting in fixes and changes even in the past month and a half.
I imagine it will be at least a couple of months before 040 stuff hits the
market.

There are things out there that *can* use an 040, but not any that *do* other
than protos and demo machines.  (I'd love to be corrected on this if I'm
wrong)

(Gratuitous Amiga remark:)  When will we see a 3rd party 040 board?  It
seems that the 3rd parties always come out with a board before C-A, so I
would expect the 040 to be the same.  The tricky part is designing from a
spec instead of having a final 040 in your hands.

John M. Olsen, Graphics Technology Division  (303)229-6746
olsen@hpfcjo.HP.COM, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM
Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/23/90)

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:

> All this news about the 040 is great, except that Motorola has not put it
> into full production yet.  They're sending samples to hardware developers,
> and have been putting in fixes and changes even in the past month and a half.
> I imagine it will be at least a couple of months before 040 stuff hits the
> market.
>
> There are things out there that *can* use an 040, but not any that *do* other
> than protos and demo machines.  (I'd love to be corrected on this if I'm
> wrong)
>
> (Gratuitous Amiga remark:)  When will we see a 3rd party 040 board?  It
> seems that the 3rd parties always come out with a board before C-A, so I
> would expect the 040 to be the same.  The tricky part is designing from a
> spec instead of having a final 040 in your hands.
>
> John M. Olsen, Graphics Technology Division  (303)229-6746
> olsen@hpfcjo.HP.COM, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM
> Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/23/90)

olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM (John Olsen) writes:

> All this news about the 040 is great, except that Motorola has not put it
> into full production yet.  They're sending samples to hardware developers,
> and have been putting in fixes and changes even in the past month and a half.
> I imagine it will be at least a couple of months before 040 stuff hits the
> market.
>
> There are things out there that *can* use an 040, but not any that *do* other
> than protos and demo machines.  (I'd love to be corrected on this if I'm
> wrong)
>
> (Gratuitous Amiga remark:)  When will we see a 3rd party 040 board?  It
> seems that the 3rd parties always come out with a board before C-A, so I
> would expect the 040 to be the same.  The tricky part is designing from a
> spec instead of having a final 040 in your hands.
>
> John M. Olsen, Graphics Technology Division  (303)229-6746
> olsen@hpfcjo.HP.COM, olsen@hpfcdq.HP.COM
> Hewlett-Packard, Mail Stop 73, 3404 E. Harmony Road, Ft Collins, CO 80525

Eeppp..sorry about that last message. You can bet Commodore has an
'040...

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (09/24/90)

This summer I had occasion to be at AmiExpo Chicago. Supra had a mock
version of their 040 (with something that looked very much like a real
beta chip) on a 200 pin CPU bus (no etchings on the card guys) mock up
in a glass window of their booth. I heard someone at the booth say
NOV-DEC for a time frame. This board did not require any ram, just the
040 chip (nice thing about having a 32bit bus).

I expect we will see at least one new player in the accelerator board
market.

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******