[comp.sys.amiga] Supra WordSync

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep20.213405.4773@agora.uucp> billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
(Stuff deleted)
>	BTW, Just heard from Supra that they're supposed to ship
>their A-Max II driver within the next couple of weeks... We'll see
>how long their weeks are RSN. :-)
>--
>     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
>=============================================================================
>Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
>(503) 281-8153    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

Can somebody give me a piece of information regarding Supra WordSync
Hard Disk Controller?

It was tested in a Swedish magazine and was very slow on a stock B2000.
They couldn't get it to work on a machine with an A2620 in it, so they
just supposed that it didn't work. (That's how things are around here)
In the Supra manual they say something about having to turn off DMA to
memory on "some accelerator cards, ask that company".
Is this necessary with the A2620?
How much will it affect system speed?
How fast is the WordSync compared to other popular controllers on an
A2620-equipped machine?
Is it necessary to reformat the hard disk after installing the WordSync?
(A normal A2090 has been used in the machine before, the hard disk is
a 45 MB Rodime SCSI)

Any Informatin will be appreciated

Tommy Petersson

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/25/90)

In article <2134@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
:
:Can somebody give me a piece of information regarding Supra WordSync
:Hard Disk Controller?
:
:It was tested in a Swedish magazine and was very slow on a stock B2000.
:They couldn't get it to work on a machine with an A2620 in it, so they
:just supposed that it didn't work. (That's how things are around here)
:In the Supra manual they say something about having to turn off DMA to
:memory on "some accelerator cards, ask that company".
:Is this necessary with the A2620?

	They must have been working with a *very* early WordSync and one
of the old DMA manuals. The WordSync is not a DMA coard, therefor you
don't need to woory about turning DMA off for accelerator cards. (BTW,
they were refering to cards with nonDMAable memory, outside the 24bit
address space.)

:How much will it affect system speed?
:How fast is the WordSync compared to other popular controllers on an
:A2620-equipped machine?

	Comparable with most cards. With a fairly fast drive (Quantum
maybe?) you should see speeds of about 600K/s. It probably would max
at 900K/s with a very fast drive. Not quite as fast as a Nexus, but good
enough for most people.

:Is it necessary to reformat the hard disk after installing the WordSync?
:(A normal A2090 has been used in the machine before, the hard disk is
:a 45 MB Rodime SCSI)

	You probably won't have to do a low level format, but you will
have to rewrite the rigid disk block partitioning information and the
devinit code. Just back everything up and partition with the SupraFormat
program.