[comp.sys.amiga] 1.8 million Amiga sold?

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) (09/11/90)

	Dave H. wrote

> If we charged $2000 a copy and sold to every 7500 NeXT owners
> we'd make $15 million dollars.  To make the same as a $200 Amiga
> program, we'd have to sell to 75,000 Amiga owners.  That's only
> around 4% of Amiga owners...
> [rest deleted]

	If 75 000 Amiga owners represents about 4% of the Amiga
community, it means that there are approximately 1.8 million
Amiga sold, right?  How many Macs, PS2, Atari?

					Edouard

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/13/90)

In article <30013@nigel.ee.udel.edu> boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:
:
:	Dave H. wrote
:
:> If we charged $2000 a copy and sold to every 7500 NeXT owners
:> we'd make $15 million dollars.  To make the same as a $200 Amiga
:> program, we'd have to sell to 75,000 Amiga owners.  That's only
:> around 4% of Amiga owners...
:> [rest deleted]
:
:	If 75 000 Amiga owners represents about 4% of the Amiga
:community, it means that there are approximately 1.8 million
:Amiga sold, right?  How many Macs, PS2, Atari?

	Word I heard was that the 1.8 million figure was as of June 1990.
It'll be interesting to see how this Christmas season goes... :-}

:					Edouard

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.180543.19745@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:

> 	Word I heard was that the 1.8 million figure was as of June 1990.
> It'll be interesting to see how this Christmas season goes... :-}
>
>      -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey

In some information I just received from CBM they state that sales hit
1 million in mid-spring of this year. I would guess that sales have reached
maybe 1.2 - 1.3 million at the most by now.

---Mike,

P.S. How about if we all go out and order 5 or 6 A3000's each, just to
boost the sales figure. I'm sure CBM would find a way to increase production.
Pseudo-multiprocessing for the masses!

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

In article <2506@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:

>In some information I just received from CBM they state that sales hit
>1 million in mid-spring of this year. I would guess that sales have reached
>maybe 1.2 - 1.3 million at the most by now.
>
>---Mike,

	That info seems a little out of date, it seems that the
post office got things to you about a year late. Commodore (via
Gail Wellington) claimed that 1,000,000 machines had shipped as
of March 1989 at AmiExpo NYC. The official cbm figures are 1.8
million as of June 1990.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait;
NumCountries--;

and by popular demand...

free(Kuwait);

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.183632.15950@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> In article <2506@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>
>                                  . . . .        Commodore (via
> Gail Wellington) claimed that 1,000,000 machines had shipped as
> of March 1989 at AmiExpo NYC. The official cbm figures are 1.8
> million as of June 1990.
> 	-- Ethan

I can't believe your data. Remember the big sales push of Christmas 1989
( it wasn't that long ago). It was widely stated here and else where that
one of the goals was to get sales up to the magic figure of 1 million.
I remember somebody saying (possibly Gail Wellington) at AmiExpo-DC, March
1990, that this goal was NOT reached but they were very close.

---Mike,

P. S. Either way they need to sell more.

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center
"The fact has not created in me a          | Columbus, Ohio
sense of obligation."- Stephen Crane       | mfigg@dsac.dla.mil  CIS: 73777,360

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/16/90)

g3.dsac.dla.mil>

In article <2514@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
> I remember somebody saying (possibly Gail Wellington) at AmiExpo-DC, March
> 1990, that this goal [1 million] was NOT reached but they were very close.

Actually Gail said (at AmiExpo-DC) that 1.5 million Amigas had been shipped
(I don't know how many were actually sold to users at that time).
And (if I may offer some anecdotal evidence) most of the people I know
with Amigas bought them within the past few months.

-- Dan Babcock

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep13.183632.15950@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> 	That info seems a little out of date, it seems that the
> post office got things to you about a year late. Commodore (via
> Gail Wellington) claimed that 1,000,000 machines had shipped as
> of March 1989 at AmiExpo NYC. The official cbm figures are 1.8
> million as of June 1990.
> 	-- Ethan

I recently read that Commodore Australia has sold 10,000 C64s to China,
with another order of 30,000 excepted in a month.  They are going to be
used in schools.

Looks like Commodore Aust. will be making a profit this year....

> *Iraq += *Kuwait;
> NumCountries--;
>
> and by popular demand...
>
> free(Kuwait);

How about (for the poor Pascal programmers)

	if(War(America, Iraq)=TRUE) then
	begin
		dispose(millions_of_innocent_people);
		dispose(millions_of_soldiers);
		dispose(most_of_kuwait)
	end
	else
	begin
		LookStupid(America,Britain)
	end;

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh