[comp.sys.amiga] Noisetracker 2.0???

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) (09/13/90)

Hi. This is a nice simple short note:

                    WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?

                                                        Thankyou.

|         ///          a.k.a. NECR0SIS        faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |
|  \\\  ///_|                                             -or-                |
|    \XX/   |  M  I  G  A                      faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu    |

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (09/14/90)

In article <58200@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) writes:

>                     WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?

GGGRRREEEEEAAAT QUESTION. I've tried twice to get an answer where any of the
Soundtracker/Noisetracker versions are available and the best answer I've
got so far is that they are commercial products. I've never seen either
advertized or listed in mail-order listings, etc. Sortof wondering whether
they even exist. Maybe they are games from the Milton-Bradley project.

---Mike,

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/14/90)

faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) writes:

> Hi. This is a nice simple short note:
>

>                     WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?
>
>                                                         Thankyou.
>

> +----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |         ///          a.k.a. NECR0SIS        faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
> |  \\\  ///_|                                             -or-
> |    \XX/   |  M  I  G  A                      faheyr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu

NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
er 349.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
>will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
>er 349.

You know, the noisetracker story keeps changing every time I see it. I
got kind of fed up reading shit like the quote above, so I went looking
around BBS's to find noisetracker myself. I grabbed noisetracker 1.0 and
read thru the doc file. As far as I can see the authors of noisetracker
go to some lengths to claim that they ARE LEGAL!! Why would they bother
if they pirated it? Most pirates are proud of the fact and advertize it.

Here is an excerpt from the noisetracker 1.0 docs. I deleted most of it
because it is not relevant to the discussion (instructions for the program
and the like) Prove to me that it's commercial and I will delete it and
tell the BBS sysop where I got it from to delete it also.

----

- NoiseTracker V1.0 - An improved version of MnemoTroN's Soundtracker V2.3 -
-   Made by Mahoney & Kaktus - Northstar & Silents in July - August 1989   -

[instructions deleted]

-                Comments.              -
[some comments not relative to this issue deleted]

WE ARE LEGAL!!!! Fuck the police who keeps on checking our mail, just because
we were on Fairlights memberlist and they happened to get that when they
infiltrated an illegal Visa-card user. (Fairlight member, of course)

Message to Black Shadow (Fairlight): Sorry, but we got a better position as
headers of the NorthStar programming crew. Atom will go to the States soon.
We ARE NorthStar. NOT members of Fairlight.

(and all you lamers who keep on calling us to ask what group we're in,
here you got the answer!)

Special thanks to Glue Master, Zymox, Foetus, Jazze, Godbrain, Spexhane,
Starfire, Exolon, Celebrandbil, Ron & Sal/MegaKlopparna, Jessi, Jenny S.
and all those guys who made the Soundtracker before me.

                  Any problems? Call Germany 110.

Signed - Mahoney & Kaktus/HallonSoft 1989                Have a nice night!

------

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (geoffrey christopher wing) (09/22/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) writes:
>> Hi. This is a nice simple short note:
>>                     WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?
>>                                                         Thankyou.

>NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
>will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
>er 349.

NOISETRACKER 2.0(Is this the one written by Mahoney&Kaktus?)
By the way, I believe that SOUNDTRACKER is PD, so that Noisetracker, which is
an update version of this, is not `PIRATED'.
You can get Noisetracker from many Amiga users in Australia. Won't BBS's, like
`AMIGA AMERICA', have it over there?

Geoff.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/23/90)

gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (geoffrey christopher wing) writes:

> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
> >faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) writes:
> >> Hi. This is a nice simple short note:
> >>                     WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?
> >>                                                         Thankyou.
>
> >NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
> >will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
> >er 349.
>
> NOISETRACKER 2.0(Is this the one written by Mahoney&Kaktus?)
> By the way, I believe that SOUNDTRACKER is PD, so that Noisetracker, which is
> an update version of this, is not `PIRATED'.
> You can get Noisetracker from many Amiga users in Australia. Won't BBS's, lik
> `AMIGA AMERICA', have it over there?
>
> Geoff.

Most copies of SoundTracker and ALL copies of NoiseTracker are illegal.
Tell your SysOPs to delete them nowor they WILL lose their equipment if
the right people find out.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (09/25/90)

In article <5592@munnari.oz.au> gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (geoffrey christopher wing) writes:
>joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>>faheyr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Bob Fahey) writes:
>>> Hi. This is a nice simple short note:
>>>                     WHERE CAN I GET NOISETRACKER 2.0?
>>>                                                         Thankyou.
>
>>NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
>>will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
>>er 349.
>
>NOISETRACKER 2.0(Is this the one written by Mahoney&Kaktus?)
>By the way, I believe that SOUNDTRACKER is PD, so that Noisetracker, which is
>an update version of this, is not `PIRATED'.
>You can get Noisetracker from many Amiga users in Australia. Won't BBS's, like
>`AMIGA AMERICA', have it over there?
>
>Geoff.

NOISETRACKER 2.0 is pirated.
Mahoney&Kaktus will sell/have sold the program to a company which has
made a deal with the person/company that owned the original company.
The fact that a friend of a friend of the authors spreading the program may
mean that the deal is/was changed but I can't spare the time now to find out
since I have an imortant exam soon. ( Sorry )

Jorgen

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (09/25/90)

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (geoffrey christopher wing) writes:

>> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>>
>> >NOISETRACKER IS PIRATED! If the SDA knows you have it, then your Amiga
>> >will go bye=bye. A better choice would be MED on FF348.
>> >er 349.
>>
>> NOISETRACKER 2.0(Is this the one written by Mahoney&Kaktus?)
>> By the way, I believe that SOUNDTRACKER is PD, so that Noisetracker, which is
>> an update version of this, is not `PIRATED'.
>> You can get Noisetracker from many Amiga users in Australia. Won't BBS's, lik
>> `AMIGA AMERICA', have it over there?
>>
>> Geoff.

>Most copies of SoundTracker and ALL copies of NoiseTracker are illegal.
>Tell your SysOPs to delete them nowor they WILL lose their equipment if
>the right people find out.

>-Joseph Hillenburg

Hey big Joe, how about some PROOF of the copyright on SoundTracker?  You
haven't offered anything yet, just a lot of ranting and raving.  As -I-
understand the story, the original SoundTracker was placed in the public
domain BY THE AUTHOR, along with the source.  How do you think so many
versions were made of it?  Its kind of hard to do the enhancements I have
seen on SoundTracker without any source.  NoiseTracker is a subset program
of SoundTracker, so thus, it is also public domain.  On _all_ copies of
SoundTracker, including the original, I have seen no reference to it being
a commercial program.  In fact, its quite nice to see someone publish
source to their player program rather than charge $2K per license as an
unnamed author of another music program does.

So Joe, simply put, put-up or shut-up.  Your paranoid ranting is getting to
be quite annoying.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (09/25/90)

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:
> Hey big Joe, how about some PROOF of the copyright on SoundTracker?  You
> haven't offered anything yet, just a lot of ranting and raving.  As -I-
> understand the story, the original SoundTracker was placed in the public
> domain BY THE AUTHOR, along with the source.  ...
>
> So Joe, simply put, put-up or shut-up.  Your paranoid ranting is getting to
> be quite annoying.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

If you can document that SoundTracker is freely distributable, I'm
sure we'd all love to hear it.  But jumping up and down because
someone suggests being ``safe instead of sorry'' isn't productive...

	...tad

garrett@cs.rochester.edu (Bill Garrett) (09/25/90)

Lets get our definitions of public domain correct here people.  This is not a GNU copyleft
or anything like it.  If a program is public domain, then I have the write to do anything
I want to with it.  This includes lifting it whole, putting my name on it and selling it.
This is true public domain, public domain software has no copywrite or restrictions of any kind.

SO even if soundtracker was public domain, its very possible that noisetracker is not
in the public domain.
--
Bill Garrett			ARPA: garrett@cs.rochester.edu
University of Rochester		UUCP: {decvax,rutgers}!rochester!garrett