[comp.sys.amiga] AMAX file transfer

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (06/14/89)

[]
Okay, I give up. Where the hell is the "prepare Mini Transfer Disk" button
on the Amax Mac disk transfer program. According to the book, it's
supposed to be there, but I can't seem to find it.

There is something which alludes to actually transfering files,
but that didn't seem to do anything to my disks since the Amax can't read
any of the Mac disks I prepared. What gives?

mike

          *** mike (still looking for a publisher) smithwick ***

"Los Angeles : Where neon goes to die"
[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]

morris-ng@cup.portal.com (Yuklung Morris Ng) (06/16/89)

The file is call DiskTransfer on the A-Max Utilities disk.  You have to use
the disk on a Mac Drive as the program is in Mac Format of the MTD.

You can than make another MiniTransfer Disk to copy the DiskTransfer
program to your A-Max Format disk and use it.

+---------+----------------------------+----------------------------------+
|      ///| Morris Y. L. Ng            | Usenet: morris-ng@cup.portal.com |
|     /// | Computer Science & Finance | Portal: Yuklung Morris Ng        |
|    ///  | San Jose State University  | Home  : (###)###-#### (Guess?!)  |
|\\\///   +----------------------------+----------------------------------+
| \XX/    |          "Be my Amiga!  And I will be your Amigo!"            |
+---------+---------------------------------------------------------------+

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart: 215 354 7610 (8*747 7610)) (03/16/90)

I recently bought AMax (from Able; excellent response time).
  I've been able to get a mini-transfer disk made and succeeded
in building a virtual mac system disk using their software. However,
I find that the file transfer programs behave very flakily generally.
  I am not willing to spend the money on a mac drive for the thing,
since it's intended for very part-time use; I prefer native mode
Amiga utilities for most work.
  I find that when I try the full disk transfer software supplied on
a Mac II or a Mac IIcx (the two I have access to once in a while)
the Mac IIcx cannot make a minitransfer disk at all (the thing comes
back as a full 800k disk, not a 272k disk), and the Mac II succeeds
in making them; I'm not sure if this happens always or only
sometimes.
   Both mac ii's cannot do full disk transfers; the software
writes two transfer disks and stops. While I can read these from
the AMax side, since the third disk is missing, I wind up with
random broken applications and corrupt floppies. Not very
satisfactory. The Mac IIcx basically fails even to produce usable
two disk sets. The Mac II will produce two disk sets that at
least can be read on AMax. From the mac side, there's no indication
of trouble in any of this; the applications simply don't notice
that three disks are needed, and don't notice that the mini
transfer disks on the IIcx are NOT 272K format.
   Now, the Mac IIcx in question has a "superdrive", so I used
stuffit and apple file transfer to make PC format 720K disks,
hoping to use the file transfer program on amiga to move
files to the Amax side that way.
  No dice.
  The Amiga under AmigaDos reads the pc disks happily enough, but
the file transfer program (labelled V1.0 on the amax program disk)
gets errors (fffffaf) shortly after beginning to write the
file transfer disk. I was able to copy a VERY short file using
the FTP programs (startup-sequence), but anything longer fails.
So I'm stymied. And until my registration card makes it to Ontario
I can't call Readysoft.
   Anybody have any idea what could be wrong? Could it be
fast memory (I have an A1000 with 3.5MB including some at
C00000)? Could the 1.3.2 setpatch be needed? I've tried with
and without DeciGEL (68010 in my box), no difference. Can anyone
out there confirm that the amigados to amax file transfer
has worked on ANY configuration? If so, what? The Amiga and macs
are too far apart to make asynch transmission a pleasant prospect,
but there are several applications I want to move which are too
large for mini-transfer disks. [Lest I be flamed by pinheads,
I have a PD archive of mac software of about 138MB here. They don't
all fit in 272K.]
Glenn Everhart
Everhart@Arisia.dnet.ge.com

cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) (09/25/90)

I have heard that if you buy AMAX you get a file transfer program
to allow you to put Mac programs onto an Amiga disk using a Mac, but
you don't get a program to convert the Amiga files back to Mac files on
a Mac.

Has anybody written a Mac program to do this? Is it possible?
I am just thinking of using AMAX with Microsoft Exel at home with
files from a Mac at work and would like to save by not buying an
external drive.

Colin Adams         Life's funny but I don't laugh

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/25/90)

In article <982@iceman.jcu.oz> cpca@iceman.jcu.oz (C Adams) writes:

>I have heard that if you buy AMAX you get a file transfer program
>to allow you to put Mac programs onto an Amiga disk using a Mac, but
>you don't get a program to convert the Amiga files back to Mac files on
>a Mac.

The AMAX software allows you to go both ways, (for those of you who
want to go both ways).

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and