[comp.sys.amiga] Network Software

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/04/90)

Posted for a fellow worker with no UseNet access:

From ROLAND@CCFVAX.SWRI.EDU Sun Jun  3 22:27:29 1990
Date: Sun,  3 Jun 90 22:27:23 CDT
From: ROLAND@CCFVAX.SWRI.EDU
Subject: questions for the net
To: kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu

-------- I have questions for the Net. ---------

Short Questions: (1) Is NCSA-Telnet available for the Amiga-2000?  Using an
                     ethernet board?  using the serial lines?
                 (2) Is anyone out there using any of the ethernet boards
                     available for the Amiga?  How do you like them, what
                     sort of software have they come with, does it work,
                     and all that? (looking for first hand experience here)
                 (3) Is there a set of 'apple-talk' hardware and software
                     out there that would allow me to connect the laserwriter?

Background:

(1) I have a MAC-II I am using at my work site ($12,000.00!! the oppulence is
{explitive noun with 'ing' ending deleted} embarrising.  You could buy a
Dec-Station 3100 or Sun Sparcstation-1 for that kind of money, and have a
"real" machine, with a "real" operating system).

Some months  ago the Mac-II was dumped on my desk with a note to the effect
"we like the SE/30 better, and have taken it ...".  The Mac-II has an ethernet
card in it, and I was using some software they brought in from Standford (SU
Mac-IP).  This software has a fine implimentation of 'talk only' internet
tools: "telnet", "ftp", "finger", "whois", etc. (talk only in the sense that
you can initiate them only from the Mac itself, and not by remote login from
another host on the ethernet/internet).

I was using my Amiga-2000 in my other job (same organization, different
division) to connect to the VAX and Cray's.  I was using serial connections
thru a Gandalf switch with "middleman" -- a terminal program that provides
VT100/TEK4105 emulations. In this new division, there are no serial ports, and
no central hosts -- not even workstations.  Everybody here has a PS/2 or Mac
with Telnet/FTP Software for remote connections.  They have telnet and ftp, but
*NO* graphics terminal emulation capability (like TEK4010/4014/4105/4115 etc.).
Well, I was hired to do graphics, and it was frustrating not having TEK
emulation.

Then I ran accross NSCA-Telnet for the Mac and IBM-boxes.  Nice program. Nice
price (No money, but a funny kind of shareware, where you write them a letter
thanking them for the software they wrote, and they take a file of such letters
to their funding organization and say, in effect "see how many people we
helped!").  The Mac version is particularly neat, with scroll-back, vt100
emulation, TEK4014 emulation (what I needed badly [but still want 4105/4115]),
and *SURPRISE*, ftp server mode (you can leave your machine up at night, and
remote ftp what you forgot to bring home that night).

Question: Has anyone converted NCSA-telnet to run on the Amiga?  The source
code is available in the public domain from 'zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu'
(128.174.20.50 and 128.174.25.50).  Just curious.  Usually when I have a
problem, a dozen other people have been there before me.

(2) Ethernet boards in use out there?  I am waiting on documentation for
the GfxBase board and software, but am curious about experience with
the GfxBase board and other possible boards.  Any war stories?

(3) appletalk connections for Amiga.  Obviously I am stuck talking to the
laserwriter.  I could use the serial connection to the laserwriter, but that
pre-empts the appletalk connection -- and I have a bunch of people who would
not be happy about that.  Any appletalk/serial combo's out there?

Thanks for listening.

Roland

roland@ccfvax.ccf.swri.edu      (129.162.26.6)
roland@plasmasun.space.swri.edu (129.162.150.17)

ronald h martin / #20
southwest research institute
san antonio tx 78228
512-522-5541

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (06/06/90)

In article <26420@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
:
:Posted for a fellow worker with no UseNet access:
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------
:
:From ROLAND@CCFVAX.SWRI.EDU Sun Jun  3 22:27:29 1990
:Date: Sun,  3 Jun 90 22:27:23 CDT
:From: ROLAND@CCFVAX.SWRI.EDU
:To: kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
:
:-------- I have questions for the Net. ---------
:
:(3) appletalk connections for Amiga.  Obviously I am stuck talking to the
:laserwriter.  I could use the serial connection to the laserwriter, but that
:pre-empts the appletalk connection -- and I have a bunch of people who would
:not be happy about that.  Any appletalk/serial combo's out there?

	DigiFeX sells a multiport card with an Appletalk port on it. It also
has a 'regular' RS-232 port and a parallel port (not bi-directional...printer
only). I'm running their Appletalk software on our machines here at BEJED
and it works as advertised. I have a Mac IIcx and two Amiga 2000s sharing our
Fujitsu laser printer. There's even some support for the Amigas sharing a
hard drive partition (although Appletalk isn't a whole lot faster than a
floppy...)
	DigiFeX's phone number is (503) 656-8818, they can probably tell you
more stuff... Like pricing. :-)

:Thanks for listening.

	Hey, that's what we're here for! :-)

:Roland
:
:roland@ccfvax.ccf.swri.edu      (129.162.26.6)
:roland@plasmasun.space.swri.edu (129.162.150.17)
:
:ronald h martin / #20
:southwest research institute
:san antonio tx 78228
:512-522-5541

     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
(503) 281-8153    (503) 246-9311   (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (09/25/90)

Martin Hunt <martin@cbmvax.commodore.com> writes:

> The Commodore board is almost the same as the Ameristar board.  You cannot
> use the Commodore board with Ameristar 3.0 software.  However, the Commodore
> TCP/IP software will work with Ameristar boards.
>
> FTP and Telnet are included in the Commodore software.

How about SMTP and a mail server/spooler?

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*