[comp.sys.amiga] Fred Fish on CDROM....now being advertised

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) (09/05/90)

On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga CD-ROM system.
As part of the ad, they say they will include with the system a CD-ROM with the
Fred Fish library through #360.

The ad says the system reads ISO9660/High Sierra discs...Is this the standard
used in the CD-ROM data bases currently available?  Put another way, is this
reader good for anything today, or are we still some time away from putting
this tremendous resource to use on our Amigas?

Steve Masters    stevem@hal.CSS.GOV
ENSCO, Inc.
Melbourne, FL  USA  32940
(407) 254 4122

lupe@alanya.Central.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) (09/05/90)

stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:

>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga
>CD-ROM system.  As part of the ad, they say they will include with
>the system a CD-ROM with the Fred Fish library through #360.

Any pricing ?

>The ad says the system reads ISO9660/High Sierra discs...Is this the standard
>used in the CD-ROM data bases currently available?  Put another way, is this
>reader good for anything today, or are we still some time away from putting
>this tremendous resource to use on our Amigas?

Yes, ISO9660/High Sierra is the standard for CD-ROMs.
E.g. the Sun CD-ROM "player" (it *has* an audio output) plus SunOS SW
can deal with them. Would be interesting to try the CD-ROM on it.
Any clue if the CD-ROM is offered *without* the player anywhere ?
--
| lchristoph@Sun.COM     (Internet)              | 		Disclaimer: |
| ...!unido!sunmuc!lupe  (German EUNet, "bang")  | 	  My employer has a |

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (09/05/90)

In article <455@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga CD-ROM system.
>As part of the ad, they say they will include with the system a CD-ROM with the
>Fred Fish library through #360.

According to MacUser, March 90
" the first standard is High Sierra, named for a hotel in the California ski
country north of Lake Tahoe where the standardization meetings were held.  The
second standard, ISO 9660 is a slightly modified version of High Sierra that
was established by the International Standards Organization."

From this, I would assume that the Fish disk,(didn't they use a snappy name?)
will be readable on just about any CD Rom drive including Macs and IBMs.

Do they give any other details such as price and which drive mechanism is used?

Jerry J. Trantow          | I swear by my life and my love of it,
1560 A. East Irving Place | that I will never live for the sake of another man,
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | nor ask another man to live for mine.
(414) 289-0503            |                          Ayn Rand

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (09/05/90)

In article <lupe.652514356@alanya>, lupe@alanya.Central.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes...
^stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
^
^>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga
^>CD-ROM system.  As part of the ad, they say they will include with
^>the system a CD-ROM with the Fred Fish library through #360.
^
^Any pricing ?

$599 internal
$699 external

Model Number CDx-650i (CDx-650e for the external)

^
^>The ad says the system reads ISO9660/High Sierra discs...Is this the standard
^>used in the CD-ROM data bases currently available?  Put another way, is this
^>reader good for anything today, or are we still some time away from putting
^>this tremendous resource to use on our Amigas?
^
^Yes, ISO9660/High Sierra is the standard for CD-ROMs.
^E.g. the Sun CD-ROM "player" (it *has* an audio output) plus SunOS SW
^can deal with them. Would be interesting to try the CD-ROM on it.
^Any clue if the CD-ROM is offered *without* the player anywhere ?

I called xetec and they said they've been swamped with requests (small
surprise) and that no discs will be available seperately for 3-4 weeks.  I'm
willing to bet that they are selling the drives as fast as they can pick up the
phone ;-).

Well...less than 2 weeks since this thread said "If only someone would sell a
CD-Rom drive for under $1000 and include the Fish Collection with it...".

BTW The naming debate is over...it's called "Fish & More" Vol. 1 CD-ROM (tm).
The more part is some extra PD stuff gleaned from elsewhere.

NT

^--
^| lchristoph@Sun.COM     (Internet)              | 		Disclaimer: |
^| ...!unido!sunmuc!lupe  (German EUNet, "bang")  | 	  My employer has a |
^| lupe@sunmuc.UUCP       (German EUNet, domain)  |    non-exclusive license |
^| ...!suninfo!lchristoph (Sun Germany customers) | 	     to my opinion. |

PS For those who don't get A-Whirld the xetec order line is 800-445-0611.  It's
usually busy (at least when I tried yesterday and this morning).  You can kind
of circumvent this by going through the info line (913) 827-0685 where they
will queue you (plus you can ask questions ;-).  Evidently the 800 line has few
slots for waiting customers so is busy much of the time.  Nice staff...friendly
and fairly informative.

OBDis:  I have nothing to do with xetec other than reading their ads.

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (09/06/90)

lupe@alanya.Central.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph
                             - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes:

>stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>
>>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga
>>CD-ROM system.  As part of the ad, they say they will include with
>>the system a CD-ROM with the Fred Fish library through #360.
>
>Any pricing ?

External version is listed at $699 and the internal version
lists at $599.  The internal version works with the 2000 and
3000, and the external version works with all models.

>>The ad says the system reads ISO9660/High Sierra discs...Is this the standard
>>used in the CD-ROM data bases currently available?  Put another way, is this
>>reader good for anything today, or are we still some time away from putting
>>this tremendous resource to use on our Amigas?
>
>Yes, ISO9660/High Sierra is the standard for CD-ROMs.
>E.g. the Sun CD-ROM "player" (it *has* an audio output) plus SunOS SW
>can deal with them. Would be interesting to try the CD-ROM on it.

The ad says it has audio jacks for sound.  I wonder if you could
digitize sound directly off a CD?

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/06/90)

In article <3339@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <lupe.652514356@alanya>, lupe@alanya.Central.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes...
>BTW The naming debate is over...it's called "Fish & More" Vol. 1 CD-ROM (tm).
					      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>The more part is some extra PD stuff gleaned from elsewhere.

Waitaminnit..

I knew the 2 years I spent working at Long John Silvers would come in
handy some day ..

That's the name of one of the dinners at LJS!  :-)

(If I remember right, it's the one with 2 pieces of fish, hush puppies,
cole slaw, and fries).
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/06/90)

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:

> From this, I would assume that the Fish disk,(didn't they use a snappy name?)

The name was "Fish & More" (A TV dinner perhaps? :^)
> Jerry J. Trantow          | I swear by my life and my love of it,
> 1560 A. East Irving Place | that I will never live for the sake of another ma
> Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | nor ask another man to live for mine.
> (414) 289-0503            |                          Ayn Rand

 -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
! Just undesirable features!

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (09/07/90)

In article <90248.132524IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu> IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:
+lupe@alanya.Central.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph
+                             - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes:
+>
+
+External version is listed at $699 and the internal version
+lists at $599.  The internal version works with the 2000 and
+3000, and the external version works with all models.
+
[ stuff about formats deleted ]

How can a 5 1/4" form factor fit internally in a 3000?  I also didn't know
that there were any 1/2 height drives to fit in the 2000 5 1/4" slot.
Steve		email: Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM	803-791-7054
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (09/07/90)

In article <4au2o5w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) writes:
>

>> From this, I would assume that the Fish disk,(didn't they use a snappy name?)
>
>The name was "Fish & More" (A TV dinner perhaps? :^)
>> _____________________________________________________________________________
>> Jerry J. Trantow          | I swear by my life and my love of it,
>> 1560 A. East Irving Place | that I will never live for the sake of another ma
>> Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | nor ask another man to live for mine.
>> (414) 289-0503            |                          Ayn Rand
>> _____________________________________________________________________________
>

> -Joseph Hillenburg (Sultan of Asm)
>INET: joseph@valnet.uucp            |MAIL: 1709 West Gray
>UUCP: ...!iuvax!valnet!joseph       |MAIL: Bloomington, IN 47401
>AT&T: 1-812-336-2969                |MAIL: United States
>CompSci BBS: 3/12/24 1-812-876-4407 9:30 pm-7:30 am |Mail replies requested
>              Those aren't bugs! Just undesirable features!
>! Just undesirable features!

Note to everyone: This Fish and more contains the Fish Collection thru FF#360
and can be had Free with the Purchase of Xetec's new CD-ROM, which sells
for around $600 (according to the Amigaworld ad). This CDROM uses CDTV format
ISO9660/High Sierra format and can play audio.

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (09/07/90)

In article <455@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga CD-ROM system.
>As part of the ad, they say they will include with the system a CD-ROM with the
>Fred Fish library through #360.

Interesting!  I wonder how they deal with the copyright restrictions
on some of the pieces in the Fish library which can only be destributed
by Fred Fish.  Perhaps by including the entire library (to date) they
can get away with it.  We should be glad, I suppose, that most of the
people submitting software to Mr. Fish's library don't have schools
of piranha lawyers lurking in shallow pools waiting to sturr up
some trouble over whether this CD-ROM thing constitutes a profit-making
entity or whether it is still "distribution by Fred Fish" as spelled out
in several item's distribution restrictions.

For the record, all my stuff on the Fish Disks is for free distribution.
I'm thinking of a new classification: Forced Distribution-- all users
will be _required_ to at least try to give at least one copy to
someone else, assuming that the recipient agrees to these terms.  There
will be an exemption for those computer nerds who's only friend is
their Amiga.

(Shudders on the first paragraph, smileys on the second.)

_____
  |      Todd M. Lewis            Disclaimer: If you want my employer's
  ||\/|  utoddl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu             ideas, you'll have to
  ||  || utoddl@ecsvax.bitnet, @unc.bitnet    _buy_ them.
   |  || utoddl@next1.mscre.unc.edu
       |___   ("Prgrms wtht cmmnts r lk sntncs wtht vwls." --TML)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/08/90)

The price in their ad for the CD-ROM was $599 for the internal A2x00/A3000
version, and $699 for the external version.

Not to bad when you consider how much Apple's CD drive costs...not to mention
getting Fish disks 1-360!!!

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep7.144544.17517@uncecs.edu>, utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
> In article <455@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
>>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga CD-ROM system.
>>As part of the ad, they say they will include with the system a CD-ROM with the
>>Fred Fish library through #360.
>
> Interesting!  I wonder how they deal with the copyright restrictions
> on some of the pieces in the Fish library which can only be destributed
> by Fred Fish.  Perhaps by including the entire library (to date) they
> can get away with it.  We should be glad, I suppose, that most of the
> people submitting software to Mr. Fish's library don't have schools
> of piranha lawyers lurking in shallow pools waiting to sturr up
> some trouble over whether this CD-ROM thing constitutes a profit-making
> entity or whether it is still "distribution by Fred Fish" as spelled out
> in several item's distribution restrictions.

As far as I am concerned, it seems that the price for the drive is so
reasonable that the CD is being included as an incentive to buy, and not
being sold for profit. I have no problems with this release.

Regards Alan

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/09/90)

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

}In article <1990Sep7.144544.17517@uncecs.edu>, utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) writes:
}> In article <455@hal.CSS.GOV> stevem@hal.CSS.GOV (Steve Masters) writes:
}>>On p.43 of the October AmigaWorld is an ad from Xetec for an Amiga CD-ROM system.
}>>As part of the ad, they say they will include with the system a CD-ROM with the
}>>Fred Fish library through #360.
}>
}> Interesting!  I wonder how they deal with the copyright restrictions
}> on some of the pieces in the Fish library which can only be destributed
}> by Fred Fish....

}As far as I am concerned, it seems that the price for the drive is so
}reasonable that the CD is being included as an incentive to buy, and not
}being sold for profit. I have no problems with this release.

As we have belabored endlessly here or elsewhere, if something is
copyrighted you can't *give* it away, either.  Only the copyright
holder can authorize _distribution_ of the work, regardless of the form
or cost.

   /Bernie\

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (09/12/90)

In article <12542@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>As far as I am concerned, it seems that the price for the drive is so
>reasonable that the CD is being included as an incentive to buy, and not
>being sold for profit. I have no problems with this release.

The key, in my understanding, to whether they could be considered to be
selling it for profit or not is whether it is available from them separately.
It is like the sweepstakes laws - you can't make someone buy anything to
enter a sweepstakes, so you always have to provide an address they can write
to or something which will get them the entry form without buying the whatever
it is.  They may put it in microscopic print but it has to be there someplace.
Same deal with Xetec - they may not be advertising the availability of the
Fish disk separately (understandable considering the small number of Amiga
CD ROM systems out so far) but if they are not offering it separately at all
(for "reasonable cost of duplication" etc.) it is the same as selling it.

Question: it is my understanding that these systems are sold "complete",
as in packaged with a SCSI interface.  I don't suppose Xetec sells them
without an interface?  Too much to ask.  But it would be annoing to have
to buy another SCSI interface if you already have one... unless, of course,
their drive does not conform to any known existing spec on the Amiga...
NAAAH - never happen, eh?

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (09/12/90)

In article <2072@nyx.UUCP> bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

   Same deal with Xetec - they may not be advertising the availability of the
   Fish disk separately (understandable considering the small number of Amiga
   CD ROM systems out so far) but if they are not offering it separately at all
   (for "reasonable cost of duplication" etc.) it is the same as selling it.

Considering how lax the phrase "reasonable cost of duplication" is,
they can probably get away by charging the cost of the CD-ROM drive
for it. After all, if they've allocated all they made to being given
away with the CD-ROM drives, then charging someone just the costs of a
second run of only 1 is going to be rather expensive.

As a second thought, is there anything in any of the of the licensing
that says that you have to give the software away to anyone who asks?
In other words, if I offered to give copies of the complete Fish
collection only to people who met whatever criterion I chose, is that
illegal? If not, then why should making that criterion "the first 1000
people who purchase CD-ROM drives from me after August 1, 1990"?

Of course, there's another reason why Xetec giving away that CD-ROM
may be illegal - whether they're selling it or not. There's software
which has it's distribution limited in some way, with an exception for
Fred Fish. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Xetec is violating
those restictions, even if they aren't violating the "no commercial
sale" clauses.

	<mike
--
And then I saw her...					Mike Meyer
She was a bright red '64 GTO				mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/12/90)

In article <MWM.90Sep11170548@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>.......... I wouldn't be surprised to find that Xetec is violating
>those restictions, even if they aren't violating the "no commercial
>sale" clauses.

Two points:
  1. The whole point of the Fish collection is to provide an organized
     distribution of PD, ShareWare, FreeWare, etc., software. If people
     didn't want their stuff to have wide distribution they wouldn't have
     given it to Fred in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to
     restrict free distribution to Fred.

  2. If you tell Xetec you DON'T want the Fish CD-ROM and they still
     charge you $599, then they are NOT selling the disc for profit.
     Plus, they aren't offering a collection of software originally
     found on the Fish discs, but rather they are offering the Fish
     discs themselves on CD-ROM, which I think maintains at least
     the spirit of the collection.

Personally, I applaud Xetec, and hope that they make the CD-ROM available
seperately for a reasonable price (less than $50). I don't understand
why everyone feels the need to pick on them for putting into practice
what everyone else could only talk about.
--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman - AmigaMan) (09/12/90)

My God!  Leave it to the people on C.S.A. to shoot the little white bird of
happiness!

Bitch about something not being available and then complain about it when it
does come out...

(half a smiley...)

AMH
* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!| "Somedays, you just
* Indiana University |   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |  can't get rid of a
*    //	 Amiga Man   |   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |  bomb!"
*  \X/	 At Large!   |        or just "Hey putz!"        | - Batman (original)

utoddl@uncecs.edu (Todd M. Lewis) (09/12/90)

In article <12058@ogicse.ogi.edu> jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) writes:
>Personally, I applaud Xetec, and hope that they make the CD-ROM available
>seperately for a reasonable price (less than $50). I don't understand
>why everyone feels the need to pick on them for putting into practice
>what everyone else could only talk about.

Nobody is picking on them.  We all wish them well.  We all hope
what they are doing is legal.  We all hope no swarms of former
Apple lawers swoop down on them and fill the headlines with
"Amiga-related Lawsuits rampant: Stick with MS-DOS and Macs".
We all wish we had a CD-ROM with the Fish library on it.

Strickly vegetarian opinions here -- we have no beef.

-- Todd (which "d" is silent anyway?) Lewis.

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (09/12/90)

In article <12695@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes...
^In article <2072@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:
^> In article <12542@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
^>>As far as I am concerned, it seems that the price for the drive is so
^>>reasonable that the CD is being included as an incentive to buy, and not
^>>being sold for profit. I have no problems with this release.
^>
[...]
^Hmmm. You have definately hit the nail on the head there. I suspect that to
^conform to my distibution conditions, that would have to be the case.
^Can someone post the Xetec address/email/snail/fax number?
^
^May as well get the ball rolling. Hang in there folks, we're in for a
^rough ride, but were gonna all get a CD out of this:-)
^
^Regards Alan

Look guys...chill out.  Not two months ago people were whining that there
wasn't a Fish collection or a CD-Rom drive for a reasonable price.  Now there
is and still people are upset.

Talking to xetec about purchasing a Fish CD sans drive the response was "We're
trying to meet our drive orders...there wont be any spares for a while..."
Worry about it then okay?

In the interest of providing useful information (rather than just a mild flame
;-) the xetec number is  (913) 827-0685.  Also the comment that someone else
made to the effect of charging for "cost of production" is interesting.  I
asked around and it seems that the ballpark for making a master (once you get
the data in the right format) is $2000.  Unit costs of course depend on number
of disks produced.

BTW:  NSSDC (located at Goddard) has a CD collection that contains some of the
more popular star catalogs.  There are also collections of CD from indivdual
projects that contain images (say Voyager or Viking etc) but I have no idea how
to request those.  The data (if releasable at all) is the governmental PD which
I think the rules are that you may not resell the data unless you provide
"value added" to it.  I'd have to ask for sure.  If any are very interested I
can go ask for a address or phone number (meaning find someone willing to field
any largish volume of requests).  However I'd heard the normal volume is one
or two disks per month sent out so swamping them may not produce great results
;-).

NT

   // | Nigel Tzeng - STX Inc - NASA/GSFC COBE Project
 \X/  | xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov

Amiga | Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (09/12/90)

In article <12058@ogicse.ogi.edu> jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) writes:
   In article <MWM.90Sep11170548@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
   >.......... I wouldn't be surprised to find that Xetec is violating
   >those restictions, even if they aren't violating the "no commercial
   >sale" clauses.

   Two points:
     1. The whole point of the Fish collection is to provide an organized
	distribution of PD, ShareWare, FreeWare, etc., software. If people
	didn't want their stuff to have wide distribution they wouldn't have
	given it to Fred in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to
	restrict free distribution to Fred.

I basically agree with you, but I know I've seen packages go by that
had restrictions, along with exemptions for Fred Fish. I also had a
package that I was going to submit (never happened because the other
fellow was to busy to provide what I needed from him) that would have
been restricted to being distributed only via the Fish disks. The
reasons had to do with not wanting adultrated copies running around,
and worries about loss of copyright (all of which were caused by the
same other guy).

   Personally, I applaud Xetec, and hope that they make the CD-ROM available
   seperately for a reasonable price (less than $50). I don't understand
   why everyone feels the need to pick on them for putting into practice
   what everyone else could only talk about.

I agree. They are doing the Amiga community a service; anyone taking
legal action to get them to stop is doing the Amiga community a
disservice.

	<mike
--
[Our regularly scheduled .signature preempted.]		Mike Meyer
The Amiga 1000: Let's build _the_ hackers machine.	mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/13/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (09/13/90)

In article <MWM.90Sep12104408@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>In article <12058@ogicse.ogi.edu> jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) writes:
>   In article <MWM.90Sep11170548@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) writes:
>   >.......... I wouldn't be surprised to find that Xetec is violating
>   >those restictions, even if they aren't violating the "no commercial
>   >sale" clauses.
>
>   Two points:
>     1. The whole point of the Fish collection is to provide an organized
>	distribution of PD, ShareWare, FreeWare, etc., software. If people
>	didn't want their stuff to have wide distribution they wouldn't have
>	given it to Fred in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to
>	restrict free distribution to Fred.
>
>I basically agree with you, but I know I've seen packages go by that
>had restrictions, along with exemptions for Fred Fish.

What's different between Xetec redistributions of Fish disks and
the shareware disk-duplicators doing the same thing?  I know that
I've seen some of 'em offering Fish disks..  And I know that they
charge money for the disks.  Or, for that matter, most of the magazines
do the same thing -- sell the Fish disks for $5 a pop or so.

One difference is the medium.  The shareware disk-duplicators do it
only floppy, not CD-ROM.  But big deal.. as long as it's the same bits
then who should care?

Whah, I think y'all are makin' an ocean out've a fish pond... ;-)
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-
<- Sign me up for one "I survived Jaka's Story" T-shirt!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/14/90)

Essentially, what Xetec is doing is this:

"Look!  Elsewhere, the CHEAPEST you can get fish disks for is $2 apiece
if you buy in quantity.  We can beat that price!  We'll charge you $595
for disks 1-360, a $125 savings over the $720 you'd pay at $2 apiece.
And look!  We'll even throw in an internal CD-ROM drive for free!!"

I don't care what anyone says, that's one heckuva deal.  Let's not
hear any more whining, please?

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/14/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

> In article <MWM.90Sep12104408@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (M
> >In article <12058@ogicse.ogi.edu> jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) wri
> >   In article <MWM.90Sep11170548@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mik
> >   >.......... I wouldn't be surprised to find that Xetec is violating
> >   >those restictions, even if they aren't violating the "no commercial
> >   >sale" clauses.
> >
> >   Two points:
> >     1. The whole point of the Fish collection is to provide an organized
> >	distribution of PD, ShareWare, FreeWare, etc., software. If people
> >	didn't want their stuff to have wide distribution they wouldn't have
> >	given it to Fred in the first place. It doesn't make any sense to
> >	restrict free distribution to Fred.
> >
> >I basically agree with you, but I know I've seen packages go by that
> >had restrictions, along with exemptions for Fred Fish.
>

> What's different between Xetec redistributions of Fish disks and
> the shareware disk-duplicators doing the same thing?  I know that
> I've seen some of 'em offering Fish disks..  And I know that they
> charge money for the disks.  Or, for that matter, most of the magazines
> do the same thing -- sell the Fish disks for $5 a pop or so.
>
> One difference is the medium.  The shareware disk-duplicators do it
> only floppy, not CD-ROM.  But big deal.. as long as it's the same bits
> then who should care?
>
> Whah, I think y'all are makin' an ocean out've a fish pond... ;-)
> --
> <- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
> <- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>
> <-
> <- Sign me up for one "I survived Jaka's Story" T-shirt!

Well...the ad said 400 megs for 360 disks. This means that they did
dearchive the .arc, .zoo and .LZH files, but you decide whether that
counts. You an bet Xatec also modified the scripts so that the programs
run off the CD-ROM, as well.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/15/90)

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

> Essentially, what Xetec is doing is this:
>
> "Look!  Elsewhere, the CHEAPEST you can get fish disks for is $2 apiece
> if you buy in quantity.  We can beat that price!  We'll charge you $595
> for disks 1-360, a $125 savings over the $720 you'd pay at $2 apiece.
> And look!  We'll even throw in an internal CD-ROM drive for free!!"
>
> I don't care what anyone says, that's one heckuva deal.  Let's not
> hear any more whining, please?
>
>                                                             Kurt
> --
> || Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || Amigas, Macs, IBM's, C-64's, NeXTs, ||
> || 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       ||  Apple ]['s....  I use 'em all.     ||
> || Malvern, PA 19355-2214       ||  (and in that order too!   ;-)      ||
> ||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
> ||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

They even decompressed all those annoying archives too. Note thayt the ad
says 360 disks, but 400+ megs of software. This is a dead giveaway.
BTW...they also fooled around with the script files so that they would
work properly for the way the CD-ROM is set up. Does anyone know if the
CD-ROM is partitioned or if each disk has it's own dir?

In <27890@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, c150-ec@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Johnson Sieu) writes:
>  Why don't they sell other stuff on CD besides the Fred Fish?  How about
>  an encyclopeadia or a Thesaurus?

Because everything has to start somewhere. The longest journey starts with a
single CD.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

c150-ec@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Johnson Sieu) (09/17/90)

  Why don't they sell other stuff on CD besides the Fred Fish?  How about
  an encyclopeadia or a Thesaurus?

  Johnson
  email:  sieu@cory.berkeley.edu

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (09/17/90)

c150-ec@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Johnson Sieu) writes:

>   Why don't they sell other stuff on CD besides the Fred Fish?  How about
>   an encyclopeadia or a Thesaurus?
>

>   Johnson
>   email:  sieu@cory.berkeley.edu

Because thats not Fred's job. People are satisfied with a CD-ROM that
just has Fish disks on it. hell, I'm happey getting $700+ of free
software when I buy a cheap SCSI CD-ROM...what would be nice is a
"SysOp's Edition" that contained the entire collection LHArced so that it'd be
easy to put on a BBS...

huebner@aerospace.aero.org (Robert E. Huebner) (09/17/90)

In article <27890@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c150-ec@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Johnson Sieu) writes:

>  Why don't they sell other stuff on CD besides the Fred Fish?  How about
>  an encyclopeadia or a Thesaurus?

  I think the Fred Fish is just the "tip of the iceberg" in CD-ROM.  The
player being marketed now is the first Commodore CD-ROM drive available, so
they had to start somewhere (and I think F.F. was a great choice - something
uniquely Amigan).   Since this drive uses High Sierra standard format
(well, sort of standard), you will probably find things like Encyclopedias
very soon.  These sort of things are very popular on CD format (but not
cheap)

  BTW- Has anyone actually recieve/hooked-up one of these drives?  And
what are the possibilities using existing High-sierra disks with it.  I
assume the Amiga will need some sort of software to search these non-Amiga
disks?  Also, is the magazine ad true in claiming that it will read CDTV
disks?

+----
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org	@en.ecn.purdue.edu
			The Aerospace Corporation	Purdue University
+----

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

>Same deal with Xetec - they may not be advertising the availability of the
>Fish disk separately (understandable considering the small number of Amiga
>CD ROM systems out so far) but if they are not offering it separately at all
>(for "reasonable cost of duplication" etc.) it is the same as selling it.

Ben, you just said that if they aren't selling it then they are selling it.

There is nothing wrong with giving something away free, but not selling it
separately. How does that affect profitability? The only way they would
be guilty of trying to make a profit off of the disk would be if they said
"NEW! Fred Fish disk.....only $1000" or some other outrageous price. Giving
it away free is not making a profit. Call them up and ask if they will
sell you their drive cheaper if you don't want the fish disk, I don't think
they will. However, if they say "sure. we'll knock off $100" then you can
say they are trying to make a profit off of the fish disk. Maybe.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

>> Question: it is my understanding that these systems are sold "complete",
>> as in packaged with a SCSI interface.  I don't suppose Xetec sells them
>> without an interface?

I didn't read anything like that in the ad. It may come with a SCSI interface
but that is not the same as a SCSI controller. The controller sits in your
computer, the interface would be the part that sits on the the drive that
talks to your controller and the drive.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:

>Well...the ad said 400 megs for 360 disks. This means that they did
>dearchive the .arc, .zoo and .LZH files, but you decide whether that
>counts. You an bet Xatec also modified the scripts so that the programs
>run off the CD-ROM, as well.

Well, it contains more than just the fish disks the ad said, thats why it
was called Fish & More. I'll betcha that xetec DIDN't modify any of the
disks at all. That would have been a lot of trouble to go to. I think they
probably just made 360 directories and copied the disks verbatim to those
directories. The same for the rest of the software on the disc.

The root directory probably looks like this

Fish001/  Fish002/ Fish003/

..etc

--

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/19/90)

<
< > I don't care what anyone says, that's one heckuva deal.  Let's not
< > hear any more whining, please?
<
< They even decompressed all those annoying archives too. Note thayt the ad
< says 360 disks, but 400+ megs of software. This is a dead giveaway.
< BTW...they also fooled around with the script files so that they would
< work properly for the way the CD-ROM is set up. Does anyone know if the
< CD-ROM is partitioned or if each disk has it's own dir?
<
< -Joseph Hillenburg

There is no 'dead giveaway' that the contents of the Fish disks have
been decompressed.  The ad clearly states that the disk contains the
contents of Fish disks 1-360, *plus additional PD software*, totaling
over 400 megabytes.  There is also no reason to believe that any scripts
have been modified.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/20/90)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
< >> Question: it is my understanding that these systems are sold "complete",
< >> as in packaged with a SCSI interface.  I don't suppose Xetec sells them
< >> without an interface?
<
< I didn't read anything like that in the ad. It may come with a SCSI
< interface but that is not the same as a SCSI controller. The controller
< sits in your computer, the interface would be the part that sits on the
< the drive that talks to your controller and the drive.

Ummm, I don't want to pick nits, but the terminology here disagrees
with the way I learned SCSI technology.  The way I learned it, the
'interface' on the drive is actually the controller (it 'knows'
everything about that PARTICULAR drive, and how to efficiently
communicate with it), and the unit that sits on the Amiga's (or other
highly sophisticated, powerful computer :-) ) bus is a Host Adapter,
which communicates with the various controllers on the SCSI bus.

Am I totally off base here?

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!

In <42689@sequent.UUCP>, cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:

>Ummm, I don't want to pick nits, but the terminology here disagrees
>with the way I learned SCSI technology.  The way I learned it, the
>'interface' on the drive is actually the controller (it 'knows'
>everything about that PARTICULAR drive, and how to efficiently
>communicate with it), and the unit that sits on the Amiga's (or other
>highly sophisticated, powerful computer :-) ) bus is a Host Adapter,
>which communicates with the various controllers on the SCSI bus.
>
>Am I totally off base here?

No, you are absolutely right.

-larry

--

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/21/90)

c150-ec@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Johnson Sieu) writes:

}  Why don't they sell other stuff on CD besides the Fred Fish?  How about
}  an encyclopeadia or a Thesaurus?

Because most folks are more picky about their copyrights than the Fish
contributors are [or at least, than most of them are].  "An
encyclopaedia" is easy enough to say, but unless the folks at Xetec are
going to start hiring writers and researchers and editors, they're
going to have to find someone ELSE'S encylopaedia to release, and
that'll require paying those other folks for the rights to their
work.  That'll probably be a LOT more up-front money than Xetec is
willing to fork up, and result in a product that is probably a LOT more
expensive than most folk'd be willing to pay for the resulting CD.

  /Bernie\

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (09/22/90)

All this discussion misses the only important point.  Does Xetec have
permission from Fred Fish to distribute his collection in this manner?
If so, they are not doing anything wrong.  If not, then even if Fred
does in fact approve of it, they are in the wrong and should get
permission as soon as possible.  If they were or are denied permission
then they should cease distribution immediately.

If they have Fred's permission, then I don't think the rights of any of
the authors whose material appears in the collection are being violated.
Many items prohibit certain types of distribution but give explicit
permission to Fred Fish.  If Xetec's disk is an officially
approved-by-Fred distribution method then it falls under the same
exemption granted to Fred.  Otherwise, Xetec is also violating the
rights of dozens of authors.

Personally, I would hope that Fred would approve, but the decision is
his.  I also really hope that Xetec approached him before distributing
the disk or the ads referring to it.  Not to have done so would indicate
an appalling lack of sensitivity and legal sense.

Perhaps Fred or a representative from Xetec can comment.

Bela Lubkin   * *   //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   Why do I mention CI$??
     @      * *    //  belal@sco.com  ...ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino   *  \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +1 408-476-4633, XBBS +1 408-476-4945

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (09/24/90)

In article <222.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela
Lubkin) says:

>If Xetec's disk is an officially
>approved-by-Fred distribution method then it falls under the same
>exemption granted to Fred.  Otherwise, Xetec is also violating the
>rights of dozens of authors.

1) You aren't saying anything that hasn't been said at least 6 times
so far already here in comp.sys.amiga.  Why does this topic keep
coming up?

2) If memory serves, the copyright statements in many of the software
packages on the Fish disks read close to "Permission is hereby granted
for this software to be distributed as part of the Fred Fish collection."
Well, as far as I'm concerned, this Xetec CD ROM is the Fred Fish
collection, and the spirit of the copyrights have been preserved.

3) Overall, I don't see Xetec as intentionally trying to cause any
trouble here.  In addition, I don't see that what they do is even CLOSE
to piracy, which is the way you seem to be treating it.

Overall, the posters here on c.s.a seem to be causing more trouble
than Xetec.  Xetec tries to do the Amiga community a favor, and they
get crap.  Please go read your law books and leave Xetec and those
who are thankful for their efforts alone.

fnf@riscokid.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/25/90)

In article <222.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>All this discussion misses the only important point.  Does Xetec have
>permission from Fred Fish to distribute his collection in this manner?

Even though it was not necessary (see below) then did ask permission.

>If so, they are not doing anything wrong.  If not, then even if Fred
>does in fact approve of it, they are in the wrong and should get
>permission as soon as possible.  If they were or are denied permission
>then they should cease distribution immediately.

I have always explicitly disclaimed any compilation copyright on
the library.  This means that anyone can do whatever they wish with
the library or its contents without even bothering to contact me.
Any additional restrictions placed on the contents by the authors
are still in effect, but that is between the distributor and the
author to resolve.

>If they have Fred's permission, then I don't think the rights of any of
>the authors whose material appears in the collection are being violated.
>Many items prohibit certain types of distribution but give explicit
>permission to Fred Fish.  If Xetec's disk is an officially
>approved-by-Fred distribution method then it falls under the same
>exemption granted to Fred.  Otherwise, Xetec is also violating the
>rights of dozens of authors.

I don't think my "permission" is relevant.  I have no authority to
change any of the conditions imposed by the authors.  I try to avoid
including overly restrictive material, and have sometimes rejected
material that included a long "shopping list" of do's and don'ts,
even when I doubted that they would be enforcable.  As was demonstrated
by the Tetris case, what is legally enforcable and what can just
cause a lot of hassle are two very different things.

>Perhaps Fred or a representative from Xetec can comment.

Done.  :-)

-Fred

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (09/25/90)

In article <222.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us>, filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
> All this discussion misses the only important point.  Does Xetec have
> permission from Fred Fish to distribute his collection in this manner?
> If so, they are not doing anything wrong.  If not, then even if Fred
> does in fact approve of it, they are in the wrong and should get
> permission as soon as possible.  If they were or are denied permission
> then they should cease distribution immediately.

I think this holds for anything after disk ?57, when Fred said that anything
not PD was sent directly to him with a request that it be widely distributed.
Under those conditions, you could consider Xetec as providing a service
(ie duplication) to Fred. To be fair, I think the CD's should really
be widely distributed and not part of a package deal. I suspect it won't
matter very much, because others are making compilation CD's anyway.

Regards Alan