[comp.sys.amiga] Power Glove for the Amiga?

akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andy Klingler) (09/25/90)

I know there was a discussion about the Power Glove from Mattel a few weeks
ago, but now I have seen this thing being connected to a Nintendo in a
TV-show over computers. They only telled about the joystick adapter for the
glove. As far as I remember there was some action going on on connecting this
thing like a 'real' data glove.
So my question is: when will it be available, for which computers, which
interface? (Uh, that was more the one question. Hope you don't mind ;-) )

Thanxs
--
Andreas Klingler
akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

greg@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (09/26/90)

In article <akk.0415@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andy Klingler) writes:
>I know there was a discussion about the Power Glove from Mattel a few weeks
>ago, but now I have seen this thing being connected to a Nintendo in a
>TV-show over computers. They only telled about the joystick adapter for the
>glove. As far as I remember there was some action going on on connecting this
>thing like a 'real' data glove.
>So my question is: when will it be available, for which computers, which
>interface? (Uh, that was more the one question. Hope you don't mind ;-) )

VPL (the makers of the Data Glove) sued Mattel for the rights of the Power
Glove (which IMNSHO is crap, since the Data Glove is fiberoptic and the
Power Glove works on a tension-sensitive variable resistance principle --
it appears that Apple's lawyers are moonlighting. :-) )

Anyway, VPL is supposed to be releasing a version of the Power Glove made to
connect to an RS232 serial port.  This is also supposed to use the "secret"
high resoilution mode of the Power Glove (the one the guy from BYTE promised).

Anyway, the price is rumored to be $200.  (This isn't bad since VPL's prices
are usually in the multi-thousand-dollar range.  Hey!  Maybe these guys
_ARE_ Apple! :-) :-) )

Anyway, since this isn't really Amiga material, I've changed the Followup-To
line to sci.virtual-worlds, which commonly contains threads about VPL,
the Power Glove, etc.  (BTW, this is a great group for VR junkies!  --
Check it out!)

>Thanxs
>--
>Andreas Klingler
>akk@trantor.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
>     A business is no business until you have shown the revenue office
>                            it was no business

Greg
             Disclaimer:  "Who me?  Surely you must be mistaken!"         _ _
"The lunatic is in the hall.  The lunatics are in my hall.        AMIGA! ////
 The paper holds their folded faces to the floor,                       ////
 And every day the paperboy brings more." -- Pink Floyd           _ _  ////
                                                                  \\\\////
        Greg Harp               greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu            \\XX//
Stolen from an idea by es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu [Ethan Solomita]:
      execute (Saddam_Hussein);                oil_prices++;