[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga3000 or Atari ??

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (09/18/90)

	I would like to know your opinions on these two machines (Atari
TT or a high end ST).  Please, no put-downs on either, just honest insights.
I am thinking of purchasing the A3000, but want to know more on the Atari
line and how it compares in any aspects.
	Any postings are appreciated, but please - anyone can bash, if
something sucks, say it, but no thoughtless degrading.

Thanx,
Doug Dyer

csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Claus Brod ) (09/20/90)

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:

>	I would like to know your opinions on these two machines (Atari
>TT or a high end ST).  Please, no put-downs on either, just honest insights.
>I am thinking of purchasing the A3000, but want to know more on the Atari
>line and how it compares in any aspects.

What do you want to do with your machine? How's your level of programming
skill and experience? Which machine have you worked with before? You
should carify these points before expecting to get advice from anyone
for your next computer.

Claus Brod, Am Felsenkeller 2,			Things. Take. Time.
D-8772 Marktheidenfeld, West Germany		(Piet Hein)
csbrod@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (09/20/90)

I have had over 20 EMAILS, many are several pages long, of people telling
me exactly what I want:  Disadvangades of owning an Amiga, Advantages
of owning an amiga and if the knew, tell me how it relates to the Atari.

The emails are GREAT, and if anyone wants a condensed (anonymous) list
of points, let me know.  I will admit that my decision is the A3000.

in fact, no one suggested an Atari who knew anything about an amiga. I
found that interesting.  No one flamed either machine.

I know the A500 (limited knowledge -- OK games! there, I said it) and
knew nothing of the ST.  The MAILINGS were very informative and
interesting on the ST.  Atari support was sited over and over as the
largest problem the authors had  with the ST.

ps. the same posting was made in comp.sys.atari.st too

Thanks a lot! a big help to me.

Doug Dyer
ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) (09/21/90)

I'm also considering which to buy, Amiga or Atari. Could you please
summarize what you found.  I would do this on e-mail, but I'm
impossible to mail to - please post.

My one special concern is laptops.  Does anyone know about the German
laptop Amiga and/or the Atari Stacy??

The info will be much appreciated.

	-Ed
--
------	Ed Gow 	------  uwm!mrsvr!gemed!sakari!gow  -----------

		My opinions are NOT those of GE.
  MGB - The most fun you can have in a car without a back seat

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (09/21/90)

gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) writes:

>I'm also considering which to buy, Amiga or Atari. Could you please
>summarize what you found.  I would do this on e-mail, but I'm
>impossible to mail to - please post.

>My one special concern is laptops.  Does anyone know about the German
>laptop Amiga and/or the Atari Stacy??

>The info will be much appreciated.

>	-Ed
>--
>------	Ed Gow 	------  uwm!mrsvr!gemed!sakari!gow  -----------

>		My opinions are NOT those of GE.
>  MGB - The most fun you can have in a car without a back seat

I'm not sure if posting this would agitate the group or not.
The intent was to get _real_ info on the machines, and not attacks.
BUT, the file is now 26k AND someone will surely start a stupid
thread because of such and such.  If you guys don't mind (especially
the authors who are now annymouse compilation of GREAT insights,)
I'll do it. Otherwise, find a friend who can get the email.

Good luck,
Doug
dyer@hubcap.clemson.edu

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/22/90)

In article <GOW.90Sep20134749@sakari.mrceg> gow@sakari.mrceg (Ed Gow) writes:
>My one special concern is laptops.  Does anyone know about the German
>laptop Amiga and/or the Atari Stacy??

Well, I saw a Commodore laptop at the Federal Computer
Conference.  It looked nice.  It was a 286 though.  I asked a Commodore
person about an Amiga laptop, and she just shrugged and looked sheepish.
I guess Commodore's not making much progress on an Amiga laptop
themselves.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) (09/22/90)

In article <10503@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:

>	I would like to know your opinions on these two machines (Atari
>TT or a high end ST).  Please, no put-downs on either, just honest insights.
>I am thinking of purchasing the A3000, but want to know more on the Atari
>line and how it compares in any aspects.

You can go out today and buy an Amiga 3000.

I can't really review vaporware, except to speculate that almost ALL
ST software will break on the TT, since 020 and 030 ST's have been almost
nonexistent in the ST's 5-year life.

-Vince

eaiu020@orion.oac.uci.edu (Internet Mail Daemon) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep21.232318.24012@agate.berkeley.edu> vincelee@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (Vincent H. Lee) writes:

>You can go out today and buy an Amiga 3000.

Apparently, the TT is available in Europe to the average consumer and
will be introduced in the States during Fall Comdex.

>I can't really review vaporware, except to speculate that almost ALL
>ST software will break on the TT, since 020 and 030 ST's have been almost
>nonexistent in the ST's 5-year life.

The official quote (from Sam Tramiel VP at Atari) made during the
Glendale Atari faire is that the TT will run between 85% and 90%
of all existing ST software and apparently they upped the 68030 to
32 mhz.  The type of software that usually breaks is games, not
surprisingly.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Amiga discussions.
--

cedman@lynx.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (09/24/90)

In article <26FD437A.7618@orion.oac.uci.edu> eaiu020@orion.oac.uci.edu (Internet Mail Daemon) writes:

   Apparently, the TT is available in Europe to the average consumer and
   will be introduced in the States during Fall Comdex.

I'm sorry to correct you but this is NOT true. I talked a few days
ago with an old friend and ST-software developer in Germany. The
story is that even a software-developer for atari only got to keep
his TT for the 2 weeks he needed to write the program. This should
dispel the idea that the TT is widely available to consumers in
Europe.

	Carl Edman

--

Theorectial Physicist,N.:A physicist whose   | Send mail
existence is postulated, to make the numbers |  to

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (09/24/90)

The one thing that irks me about my 3000/25 - with all the engineering that
went into the system, what do you think they used to restrain
the bar running from the switch on the front of the 3000 to the power supply
switch?  One of those cheap 25 cent platic holders for toothbrushes.  For
$3054, I'd expect a bit more than that, especially when the glue on the
toothbrush holder's backing gives out every 5 days to a week...  (a pretty
accurate figure for me...)

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "No matter how big a straw, you can't suck water up |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  more than 34 feet."                                |

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/26/90)

One question:

What packages, besides maybe DynaCADD, are there for the ST that even know
what an '030 is?

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)