[comp.sys.amiga] X-Ray Imigaing & the Amiga

simonse@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Kristine M. Simonsen) (09/24/90)

Hello all!  I am looking for some pointers and info about how it might
be possible to use the Amy to transfer high quality Radiological
images from a hospital to an Amy at home.

1)  What equipment would be necessary and/or useful?
2)  Any suggestions on cameras or other technology?
3)  What software would be necessary and/or useful?
4)  Is there anyone out there who is doing this sort of thing with the
    Amy?
5)  Also, I know that there are some people at Ohio State who are using
    Amy's for at least teaching purposes in radiology.  Anyone know any e-mail
    addresses?

My father is a radioligist and a company is trying to sell him a
$11000+ IBM-compatible set-up for this.  So hopefully, with your help,
it will be possible to get him a cheaper and/or better Amy system.
Thanks!

kjm100@csc.anu.oz.au (09/25/90)

--

I have written PAWS (the Personal Astronomical WorkStation) which is a
VT100_text/Tek4010_graphics/image display program for the Amiga.

If your data is in a digital format you can do image processing at home
via your modem.  This is not a joke.  There is an astronomer in Canada
who has been using PAWS to do NRAO AIPS image processing of his radio
astronomy observations from his home for over three years.

PAWS uses a run-length-encoding scheme to compress the image data which
dramatically decreases transfer times...  I have been able to do stellar
photometry from the European Southern Observatory in Garching bei Munchen
(West Germany) while logged on to a VAX 8650 at the Kapteyn Astronomical
Institute in Groningen (The Netherlands) --- of course it was not fast
(the data was being transmitted via the CERN VAX in Switzerland) ---
but the programming staff at ESO were impressed that it could be done
at all!

Markus Buchhorn ( internet: markus@mso.anu.oz.au ) has written a FORTRAN
program that takes digital image data on a VAX or Sun and displays it
on your Amiga.  All you have to do is get your image data in a FORTRAN
two dimensional array and off you go!  It really is that simple! :-)

So contact him and he will provide you the information how to get PAWS
and his program via anonymous ftp.

| Kenneth John Mighell                                                        |
| Mount Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories                               |
| Private Bag, Post Office Weston Creek, ACT 2611, AUSTRALIA                  |
| email: mighell@mso.anu.oz.au (INTERNET) phone: 06-249-0234 fax: 06-249-0233 |

quimbyjs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Quimby) (09/26/90)

Hey!  Can Amiga support X windows?  If so, where can I get it?

                                               -Jeff