[comp.sys.amiga] DOS 2.0 Miscellanea

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (09/03/90)

1. What is the difference between the process invoked by the icon labeled
Shell on the SYSTEM2.0 window and the process invoked by the icon labeled
cli on the system drawer of the SYSTEM2.0 window? If they call up the
same process then why are the icons labeled differently?
2. If from the workbench I do a R-e (right amiga-e), I get a requestor
that allows me to enter a cli command, for example: list ram:. This
causes a workbench output window to open, to display the outpt of the
command. Now the system allows me to type in this output window. But if
I type is a command, for example: list df0:c nothing appears to happen.
What I type seems to go into the bit bucket. Further a R-e does not open
a requestor for entering a cli command, but only puts an e in the workbench
output window. Is this the way this component is supposed to work?
rather than issue some error indication for improper procedure?
3. While in Amigashell, I entered the command:
list work:/uedit/uedit/private  where private is a directory, and got
the error message "no information for work:/uedit/uedit/private  : not
enough memory available" . I immediately checked memory with an avail
command and the system reported that I had 865000+ bytes of chip ram
and 133000+ bytes of fast ram available, with the largest pieces being
864000+ bytes of chip and 129000+ bytes of fast. Repeating the list
command again got the appropriate error message "no information ...
: object not found". ( I really wanted list work:uedit/uedit/private)
I believe this funny error message is a symptom of some addressing or
core overwriting problem in the system.
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-6501

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (09/04/90)

According to the glossy manual that came with the A3000, there are supposed
to be two hard disk backup programs that come with the DOS 2.0 system.
One is the HDBackup backup and restore utility described starting on page
6-14 in the manual, and the other is BRU described in appendix C. Both
are supposed to be on the DOS 2.0 Extras disk.
  * Only they aren't there on my A3000 ! *
There was a two page stapled addendum describing how to use the distribution
diskettes to reconstruct the hard disk to the original C= configuration
and how to boot DOS 1.3, but there were no errata sheets describing
missing features such as the HD backup facilities.
When I was picking up the machine at the dealers, I asked the salesperson
whether I needed to buy an HD backup program sush as Quarterback. He
specifically said that it wasn't necessary because a backup utility came
with the system!

I would like to hear from other A3000 owners, whether their systems came
with the promised HD backup programs. I would also like to hear from
anyone (preferably a C= source) about how I should go about getting
the missing pieces.

Oh and I'd like to hear from others what else might be missing.
             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
       tel.  (919)-962-6501

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (09/04/90)

I believe the story is that HDBackup is not FINISHED yet, and they simply includBRU to tide you over, I believe that was written on a typed "eratta" type sheet.

Duane

It seems to be in the tools directory.

1.Peter:elvis> which bru
System2.0:Tools/BRU

But it doesn't have an icon. Neither does "MakeFiles" or a couple of others.
Odd.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep4.023112.21016@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>According to the glossy manual that came with the A3000, there are supposed
>to be two hard disk backup programs that come with the DOS 2.0 system.
>One is the HDBackup backup and restore utility described starting on page
>6-14 in the manual, and the other is BRU described in appendix C. Both
>are supposed to be on the DOS 2.0 Extras disk.
>  * Only they aren't there on my A3000 ! *
>There was a two page stapled addendum describing how to use the distribution
>diskettes to reconstruct the hard disk to the original C= configuration
>and how to boot DOS 1.3, but there were no errata sheets describing
>missing features such as the HD backup facilities.
>When I was picking up the machine at the dealers, I asked the salesperson
>whether I needed to buy an HD backup program sush as Quarterback. He
>specifically said that it wasn't necessary because a backup utility came
>with the system!
>
>I would like to hear from other A3000 owners, whether their systems came
>with the promised HD backup programs. I would also like to hear from
>anyone (preferably a C= source) about how I should go about getting
>the missing pieces.
>
>Oh and I'd like to hear from others what else might be missing.
>             urjlew@ecsvax.UUCP ,  urjlew@unc.bitnet
>       or    urjlew@uncvm1.acs.unc.edu    (ARPA,SURA,NSF etc. internet)
>       tel.  (919)-962-6501

The two backup programs are in the TOOLS directory of your system partition
for AmigaDOS2.0 and probably cant be seen from 1.3OS.. The name is HDBackup
and BRU (from the Command line). HDBACKUP is actually a shell that uses
BRU (BackupRestoreUtility).
Are you sure this is missing, they may just not be where you expect to
find them..

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep4.023112.21016@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:

>According to the glossy manual that came with the A3000, there are supposed
>to be two hard disk backup programs that come with the DOS 2.0 system.
>One is the HDBackup backup and restore utility described starting on page
>6-14 in the manual, and the other is BRU described in appendix C. Both
>are supposed to be on the DOS 2.0 Extras disk.
>  * Only they aren't there on my A3000 ! *

If you read your documentation carefully that came with the machine, it
clearly states that the program BRU was not completed at the time of this
2.0 release and that HDBackup is meant to be used temporarily in it's place.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep4.023112.21016@uncecs.edu> urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) writes:
>According to the glossy manual that came with the A3000, there are supposed
>to be two hard disk backup programs that come with the DOS 2.0 system.
>One is the HDBackup backup and restore utility described starting on page
>6-14 in the manual, and the other is BRU described in appendix C. Both
>are supposed to be on the DOS 2.0 Extras disk.
>  * Only they aren't there on my A3000 ! *
>There was a two page stapled addendum describing how to use the distribution
>diskettes to reconstruct the hard disk to the original C= configuration
>and how to boot DOS 1.3, but there were no errata sheets describing
>missing features such as the HD backup facilities.

BRU is in Extras2.0:Tools/BRU.  It has no icon.
    BRU 94460 ----rwed 20-Jun-90 17:28:50
The disk I have is "Amiga Extras, Version 2.0", part 317235-02.

There is a one-page "Important Notice" that says "Although the HDBackup
program is documented in Chapter 6, it is not yet available.  A CLI-based
backup utility called BRU is included.  Please refer to Appendix C."  This
notice is "Part No. 318316-01, Printed June 1990".  This document also
mentions dragging icons from MonitorStore to Monitors as appropriate.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms