[comp.sys.amiga] Need a FAST term program...

dg49+@andrew.cmu.edu (David A. Gillespie) (09/20/90)

I'm looking for a FAST term program with the following features:

VT100 compatibility (well, I can do without it, but something CLOSE would be
nice).
Speeds AT LEAST to 19200 baud, though it may respond to 38.4K.
AT LEAST Y-Modem, though a Z-Modem that can handle that kind of speed would
be nice.
Built-in phone book / dialing features not necessary.
Preferably PD, but...

What I have now just doesn't cut it.
Handshake is OK, but it lags behind the modem.  The terminal emulation, though
is nice.
JrComm also suffers from the speed problem.  (Is there some way I could set
something in JrComm to speed it up?  Maybe a two-color screen?)  The Z-Modem
on JrComm (well, at least on version .99) can't handle the speed -- it gets
caught up in itself.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

In article <way0WWG00WB9ICJ0Z_@andrew.cmu.edu> dg49+@andrew.cmu.edu (David A. Gillespie) writes:
>I'm looking for a FAST term program with the following features:

>Speeds AT LEAST to 19200 baud, though it may respond to 38.4K.

>AT LEAST Y-Modem, though a Z-Modem that can handle that kind of speed would
>be nice.

Ymodem at 19.2K should work with a LOT of terminal programs, including
JR-Comm and  A-talk III, since Y-modem is a "half duplex" protocol.
Even then, you'll need RTS/CTS handshaking to make sure that characters are
not dropped due to overruns, which will result in short packets and CRC errors.

At 34K you're really stretching the abilities of the serial.device. You'll
ALWAYS get some CRC errors with ZMODEM, since it uses streaming with no
ack/nak unless an error occurs.  With a large, say 18k, input buffer and
RTS/CTS it is feasable, but you CANNOT run anything in the background.

Things are better if you use another serial card like the ASDG DualSerial that
has a 2-byte buffer instead of the built-in 1-byte buffer of the AMiga serial
port.  The net result is less overruns.

Of course there is NO problem in SENDING at high speeds, only receiving.

>JrComm also suffers from the speed problem.  (Is there some way I could set
>something in JrComm to speed it up?  Maybe a two-color screen?)  The Z-Modem
>on JrComm (well, at least on version .99) can't handle the speed -- it gets
>caught up in itself.

Yes, lowering the number of colors will give more cycles to the serial device,
and this can be done in both JRComm and A-Talk III.

-- marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman