[comp.sys.amiga] EduCom

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (09/19/90)

Does anyone know if Commodore has a booth at this year's Educom show
which will be held this Oct. in Atlanta? I hear that Apple is really
going to try to push the Mac Classic at the show so it would be nice
if there were a few Amigas around to compare it to.

--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |  I'm not totally useless -
Integrated Library Systems        |  I can always serve as

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.153154.29795@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>Does anyone know if Commodore has a booth at this year's Educom show
>which will be held this Oct. in Atlanta? I hear that Apple is really
>going to try to push the Mac Classic at the show so it would be nice
>if there were a few Amigas around to compare it to.

There may well be some Amigas at Educom.  This month's Amazing Computing
has an article about Atlanta's demo used to get the 1996 Olympics.  The
demo was done by a Mike Sinclair from Georgia Tech, with lots of help from
the folks at Blue Ribbon Bakery.  It seems Mr. Sinclair did one demo on the
Mac, but found he couldn't do what he wanted to on a Mac.  The article
describes the creation of the final demo.  It sounds like it was a major
undertaking.  Blue Ribbon Bakery is releasing some new products that were
developed during their involvment with the creation of the demo.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (09/22/90)

>There may well be some Amigas at Educom.  This month's Amazing Computing
>has an article about Atlanta's demo used to get the 1996 Olympics.  The
>demo was done by a Mike Sinclair from Georgia Tech, with lots of help from
>the folks at Blue Ribbon Bakery.  It seems Mr. Sinclair did one demo on the
>Mac, but found he couldn't do what he wanted to on a Mac.  The article
>describes the creation of the final demo.  It sounds like it was a major
>undertaking.  Blue Ribbon Bakery is releasing some new products that were
>developed during their involvment with the creation of the demo.

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOO......... I smell a MAJOR marketing opportunity here.

"Amiga - Computers for the Olympic Mind"
"Amiga - Winner of the 1996 Olympics"
A case story of Mike Sinclair developing the demos in an ad.

    If we could secure the animations to be done during and FOR the 1996
Olympics, the publicity would be invaluble.

    So what will it be CBM??? Will we drop the ball on this one?? Or will
Mr. Copperman form a team to secure as much of the Olympics grpahics as
possible. (Sounds like a good way to get marketing off of its ___)

    A runner carrying a torch up to steps to light the Olympic flame, sounds
like a job for Animation Journeyman. A spinning textured Olympic logo zoooming
up from a map of Georgia, Toaster and Lightwave 3D territory.

 (If someone would ship me a fast Amiga with the above SW/HW I will design the
  above GRATIS and ship it all back )

    Commodore, pleeeeaseeeeee don't drop the ball on this one.

>Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,

--
 adam hill                                   Everybody lies about sex.
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu    BOING!4Ever     Rub HER feet!

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (09/24/90)

In article <413@epicb.com> jerry@epicb.UUCP (Jerry Thompson) writes:

>In article <1990Sep19.153154.29795@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know if Commodore has a booth at this year's Educom show
>>which will be held this Oct. in Atlanta? I hear that Apple is really
>>going to try to push the Mac Classic at the show so it would be nice
>>if there were a few Amigas around to compare it to.

Commodore has a formal suite at Educom this year (as we did last year in
Ann Arbor) AND has a booth.

>There may well be some Amigas at Educom.  This month's Amazing Computing
>has an article about Atlanta's demo used to get the 1996 Olympics.  The
>demo was done by a Mike Sinclair from Georgia Tech, with lots of help from
>the folks at Blue Ribbon Bakery.  It seems Mr. Sinclair did one demo on the
>Mac, but found he couldn't do what he wanted to on a Mac.  The article
>describes the creation of the final demo.  It sounds like it was a major
>undertaking.  Blue Ribbon Bakery is releasing some new products that were
>developed during their involvment with the creation of the demo.

We were very pleased that the Amiga's we made available for use with this
project, were put to such good use with such success.  The people who
developed the presentation did a GREAT job.

>Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
>"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
> you ever seen Claude Rains?"  |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep19.153154.29795@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>Does anyone know if Commodore has a booth at this year's Educom show
>which will be held this Oct. in Atlanta? I hear that Apple is really
>going to try to push the Mac Classic at the show so it would be nice
>if there were a few Amigas around to compare it to.

Don't know the answer to that one, but I spoke with Commodore last week
and they are HOSTING EduCom next year in Phoenix!!! They are very excited
about it. This means that they get to assign booths, etc. According to
the rep I spoke to, Commodore has a booth 3 times the size of IBM or
Apple.

Looking forward to that one.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (09/26/90)

In article <15121@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>In article <1990Sep19.153154.29795@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know if Commodore has a booth at this year's Educom show
>>which will be held this Oct. in Atlanta? I hear that Apple is really
>>going to try to push the Mac Classic at the show so it would be nice
>>if there were a few Amigas around to compare it to.

I have already answered that....yes we will be at EduCom, with a booth,
and a suite.

>Don't know the answer to that one, but I spoke with Commodore last week
>and they are HOSTING EduCom next year in Phoenix!!! They are very excited
>about it. This means that they get to assign booths, etc. According to
>the rep I spoke to, Commodore has a booth 3 times the size of IBM or
>Apple.

I don't want to "flame" an obvious supporter, but....

NONE of the above is true...(Who did you talk to??)  The facts are: what
you are referring to is NECC which is sort of, the K-12 version of Educom...
and we are NOT hosting it,(vendors don't host those shows..) tho we do have the
biggest booth (though NOT 3 times Apple's and IBM's...)  AND are probably
doing the opening key note.

The only thing you were right about, is that we are excited about it.

>Looking forward to that one.

See you there, I guess..