[comp.sys.amiga] Multimedia platforms in Personal Workstation

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (09/23/90)

Sorry for the repost, but it seems that everybody seems to have missed
the post I made (maybe I set the domain to mi instead of na).  Anyways,
here is the thing:  If you flip through the latest issue of Personal
Workstation, they have an article on Multimedia, the present and future.
They pick what they think are the ideal multimedia platforms for today
and tommorrow.  The really interesting thing is that there is ABSOLUTELY
NO MENTION OF THE AMIGA.  Truly sad 8-(

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
565 South Zeeb Rd.         | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Ann Arbor, MI 48103        | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 662-1506

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (09/24/90)

Not only that, but the marketoids of I've Been Mugged have lately
been on a kick saying that IBM invented multi-media with its
PS/2 platform.  Sheesh, I guess we weren't REALLY multi-media-ing
back in the 80's on our Amigas...
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep23.144316.10200@zip.eecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>Sorry for the repost, but it seems that everybody seems to have missed
>the post I made (maybe I set the domain to mi instead of na).  Anyways,
>here is the thing:  If you flip through the latest issue of Personal
>Workstation, they have an article on Multimedia, the present and future.
>They pick what they think are the ideal multimedia platforms for today
>and tommorrow.  The really interesting thing is that there is ABSOLUTELY
>NO MENTION OF THE AMIGA.  Truly sad 8-(

Yah, I noticed that.  Frankly, I'm at a loss to explain it.  One of
the systems reviewed was an Intel box (I think).  I hardly think
ANY Intel box can compete on a price/performance basis (or even just
a performance basis given expenditures don't exceed $10K or so) with
the Amiga 3000 for Multimedia applications.  It is true that the Amiga
lacks software in some areas, but I wasn't aware that the multimedia
area was one of them.  I'm astonished at the A3000's absence.

>				See ya, Ralph

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (09/25/90)

In article <24543@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
> Not only that, but the marketoids of I've Been Mugged have lately
> been on a kick saying that IBM invented multi-media with its
> PS/2 platform.  Sheesh, I guess we weren't REALLY multi-media-ing
> back in the 80's on our Amigas...

I'm reminded of the "taming" of the west. Indians weren't really "civilized"...

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

|Sorry for the repost, but it seems that everybody seems to have missed
|the post I made (maybe I set the domain to mi instead of na).  Anyways,
|here is the thing:  If you flip through the latest issue of Personal
|Workstation, they have an article on Multimedia, the present and future.
|They pick what they think are the ideal multimedia platforms for today
|and tommorrow.  The really interesting thing is that there is ABSOLUTELY
|NO MENTION OF THE AMIGA.  Truly sad 8-(

No, it's just that YOU missed the discussion about this about a week or so
ago. We all talked about it then, and it was old news by the time you posted
it.

Sorry.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.142727.6368@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

>Yah, I noticed that.  Frankly, I'm at a loss to explain it.  One of
>the systems reviewed was an Intel box (I think).  I hardly think
>ANY Intel box can compete on a price/performance basis (or even just
>a performance basis given expenditures don't exceed $10K or so) with
>the Amiga 3000 for Multimedia applications.  It is true that the Amiga
>lacks software in some areas, but I wasn't aware that the multimedia
>area was one of them.  I'm astonished at the A3000's absence.

Well, Lehigh University has been an Intel/IBM DVI testsite for some time now.
I went and checked out the lab.  The have some sort of Intel boards inside a 286 which is connected to another monitor and the guy in charge showed me some demos.  Most of it was stuff playing of a laserdisk.  Then he turned on the camera and digitized in
 real time (with compression) to his hard drive.  The image was 512x512 and when he played it back there was a slight jerkiness to the video but it was ok.  Pretty bad for such an expensive system.

I think the reason they don't have Amigas up there is that it is lacking in some key parts.  There is no machine or machine with boards that Commodore can offer for developing multimedia.  I mean there is no multimedia board that one can buy and have a sy
stem similar to Intels.  They also want realtime digitizing (video and audio) with compression (very important!).  I couldn't find such a product!  Does it exist?

I also took a bunch of people from the above lab to the User's Fair.  They were really disappointed!  After all wasn't this the same fair that was called World of Commodore/Amiga last year.  Where were all the big companies.  Commodore also demo'd up at t
he lab for these folks.  This was during the summer.  I wasn't here (in Qatar near Kuwait) but I heard that forgot simple cables and software and ended up not be able to demo much!  The head of the dept. is really cautious of CBM and is pretty adamant abo
ut not dealing with them.  It's a pity because all the people under him want an Amiga/Toaster setup.  The multimedia lab has everything from MAC IICx to ps/2's to Techtronix (v. expensive) printers to expenisive cameras.

What do I do?
Bin (Amiga owner since 1986) but no guru!