[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 500 compatible monitors

dparting@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu (Malthus) (09/25/90)

I recently have come into the possession of an Amiga 500, without monitor.
Since the 1084s monitor is _somewhat_ expensive, I was wondering if anyone
out there in netland knows of any third-party monitors that will work with
the 500. (also, if it would require special cables and such.)  Any help on
the subject would be greatly appreciated.

--
______
\    /

jsevinsk@digi.lonestar.org (John Sevinsky) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep24.170239.2321@ecst.csuchico.edu> dparting@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu (Malthus) writes:

>I recently have come into the possession of an Amiga 500, without monitor.
>Since the 1084s monitor is _somewhat_ expensive, I was wondering if anyone
>out there in netland knows of any third-party monitors that will work with
>the 500. (also, if it would require special cables and such.)  Any help on
>the subject would be greatly appreciated.

You're right, they are somewhat expensive.  That's what inspired me to use
my Magnavox TTL RGB monitior that I was using with my C-128 before I got my
Amiga.  Of course I had to build a special cable, but that was easy.  But I got
tired of just 16 colors, so thought about converting my monitor into an analog
RGB monitor.  After taking it apart, I saw a small circuit board that takes
the TTL RGB outputs from the computer and converts them to an analog voltage
which goes to the rest of the monitor.  So, I built my own circuit board that
takes the Amiga's analog RGB outputs and bypasses the TTL to analog board in
the monitor.  Much to my surprise, it worked.  I have 4096 colors now.  And
I saved $250 - $300.