[comp.sys.amiga] Filling Archives Disk Space

detert@lognet2.hq.aflc.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) (09/26/90)

I've read with interest the recent postings about both (NewXanth and MDCNext
or whatever its called) archive sites filling their available disk space.
MRCNext did the smart thing and deleted some of the older Fish archives
to free space for the newer stuff.  I, for one, think that should continue
as Fred (Thanks Fred) releases new disks.  I'm not sure what I would do
with the incoming/amiga stuff on NewXanth.  I suppose 'I' would start
deleting stuff by date, oldest goes first.  I realize there are always new
folks coming onto the Net just like we all did once upon a time, but
it doesn't make much sense to keep OLD stuff and forego the NEW.  I suspect
something should also be done to limit stuff, but I'm not sure how to do that.
I do know that the hollywoodpoker data files take up a LOT of room.  I
want to get those some day (I've already got one), but I hate to miss
out on new, neat utilities, etc., for the sake of those data files.
I guess Tad and the others (thanks a bunch for your service) know what
they can handle and if/when they can get more space, but I think there is
NO end to the battle.  Any thoughts (besides Keep your opinions to yourself)???
Cheers, Dave

CMSgt David K Detert, USAF     MILNet:  detert@lognet2.af.mil

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/26/90)

Would it be reasonable for a dictator to selectively prune the disk?  Ther
are many cases of older, unneeded versions of software that are updated
later, for example.  There are probably lots of early example of "How to
X" which have been replaced by later, better examples.

This would have to be a FishDisk maven who has been closely watching the
contents since day one, of course.

lee

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (09/27/90)

In article <90269.111207UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>Would it be reasonable for a dictator to selectively prune the disk?  Ther
>are many cases of older, unneeded versions of software that are updated
>later, for example.  There are probably lots of early example of "How to
>X" which have been replaced by later, better examples.
>
>This would have to be a FishDisk maven who has been closely watching the
>contents since day one, of course.
I have been following the Fish collection since Day 1.  (I do remember
being amazed when I got the 30th disk, "How long can he go on?" I remember
asking myself...)

I would not ever dream of deleting any "outdated examples," even though
more current versions came around later.  I have _way_ more than once found
myself going back to a 2 digit fish disk for a reference on something
that probably was addressed later.  This is because often, if it works
now It Follows The Rules, and will work for A Long Time.

Not that I think that All fish files are sacred.  I would especially put
up for pruning the binary only shareware progs that had more recent
updates.  Crobots' older versions come to mind.  Of course, they could
be replaced by a blank file called "Crobots_is_on_ff297" or whatever...
Old versions of VT100, DME, Dmouse, etc. could also be similarly pruned.
I would say that unique programs should stay, faults and all.

This would have to be done judiciously, of course...

>lee

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee				"...I put the Mu in Mother Goose,
dylan@cs.washington.edu			 the Doc in Doctor Seuss..." Young MC