[comp.sys.amiga] HAITEX

A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) (02/15/89)

hi,
  has anyone got any experince with the Haitex 3d glasses for the amy?
I think it is a nice gadget, but does it really work? how disturbing
is the flicker?

short:
DO YOU RECOMMEND THEM?

-konrad

p.s.: im only a poor student so i have to think before i buy.

bvk@hhb.UUCP (Brett Kuehner) (02/16/89)

In article <8902141850.AA28389@jade.berkeley.edu>, A4422DAE@AWIUNI11.BITNET (Konrad Neuwirth) writes:
> hi,
>   has anyone got any experince with the Haitex 3d glasses for the amy?
> I think it is a nice gadget, but does it really work? how disturbing
> is the flicker?
>
> short:
> DO YOU RECOMMEND THEM?
>
> -konrad
>
> p.s.: im only a poor student so i have to think before i buy.

They are quite a neat device. They come with five or so 3d
pictures, a 3d molecule display program, a program to take a 'Left' and a
'Right' IFF file and display them in stereo, a program that displays cubes
rotating and translating, and "Space Spuds", an arcade game.

The hardware is a box that plugs into joystick port 2 (with no passthrough,
so no 2 joystick 3d games) and the LCD shutter 'visor'. The visor is fairly
comfortable and looks good, but it isn't something you'd want to wear at a
business meeting.

The pictures include a 3d digitized cat, a bunch of propellors, and the
picture seen in their ads. There's also a 3d picture-ad for Perry Hoberman,
who did all of the pictures on the disk.

The molecule display program comes with a bunch of molecule data files, and
displays and rotates them (not under user control, though). The file format
isn't documented anywhere in the package, and I haven't looked at the data
files yet.

The program that allows you to make 3d pictures is pretty good. It lets you
load a left and right image separately or from a stereo image file, and
slide the images around with the cursor keys (increasing or decreasing the
stereo separation, for instance). The manual that comes with the XSpecs
gives tips on how to make images into 3d pictures. I managed to make the
Sachs fighter plane picture look like it was floating in front of the screen
without too much trouble. It still looked flat, though. Making something
look realistically 3d seems to be pretty tough, but between the manual and
the example pictures it should be possible to figure it out.

The cubes program has two cubes that start 'in' the screen and grow larger
and rotate until they are 'in front of' the screen. The program lets you
play with focal length and separation. Changing the focal length too much
will crash the system. This is documented in the manual, but it seems like a
really trivial thing to fix (bounds checking can't be that hard...).

Space Spuds is a really good game to show off the XSpecs' capabilities. John
Schultz did a great job. It would be good even without the 3d effects. Your
goal is to save the universe from calorie overload, while not gaining weight.
You are piloting a ship that you see from behind, with sights 'deeper' in the
screen. You have a choice of three weapons, Liposuction (like lasers in most
games), FatBombs, and Bolos (really neat. they revolve around, when they hit
something they wind up and explode). You cycle between the weapons with the
right mouse button, and fire with the left. Moving the mouse moves your ship
and sights. Mouse control is really good, unlike a lot of other mouse-based
games, and the sensitivity is adjustable.

You use the weapons to destroy assorted enemies, most of which are 'Spuds',
potatoes which come towards you from 'deep' in the screen. There are other
things like burgers, donuts, etc, which take more shots to kill (they change
into a lesser foe after being hit). There are also evil star things that
shoot at you, and are tough to kill. If you get hit by a Spud or a shot, you
gain weight, as shown on a picture at the bottom. If you gain too much
weight, you meltdown.

To help you lose weight, there are 'capsules' which activate a fat vacuum or
a diet pizza. If you lose too much weight, you become anorexic and die.
Other capsules give you more Lipo, FatBombs, or Bolos.
The game also has digitized stereo sounds, which are pretty good. I
especially like the one that says "Buyyyy Space Spuds!".

Haitex is almost done with their developer's package, including (from what
they say) a library that will make generating 3d graphics easy. They are
taking orders for it now, but as of last Monday, they weren't shipping (I
don't know the price). I'm planning on ordering it as soon as they start
shipping, but I wish they had included source to their Cubes program, or at
least something in the manual that gave a hint as to how to write programs
using the XSpecs. For now I can make static 3d pictures and play Space Spuds,
but I want to write programs!

Overall, great fun. The flicker is noticible, but it's easy to ignore. Not
nearly as annoying as interlace flicker. Many rendering programs (Forms In
Flight II, Opticks, CLight, and some others) are supporting X-Specs, so you
can make stereo ray-traces. Everyone that I've shown the X-Specs to has been
impressed.

In short: I recommend them.

		Brett

--
...!princeton!hhb!bvk
bvk%hhb@princeton.EDU

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/17/89)

In article <177@hhb.UUCP> bvk@hhb.UUCP (Brett Kuehner) writes:
<
<They are quite a neat device. They come with five or so 3d
<pictures, a 3d molecule display program, a program to take a 'Left' and a
<'Right' IFF file and display them in stereo, a program that displays cubes
<rotating and translating, and "Space Spuds", an arcade game.
<
(the rest deleted, for brevity)

THANK YOU FOR A VERY GOOD REVIEW ON AN INTERESTING PRODUCT!
I just called Germany and ordered one together with some other
things I was about to get anyway, and I think I got a good price
on them, $101.

Tommy P.

msg@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (09/24/90)

I know that this question has been asked before, but...

DOES HAITEX REALLY EXIST??

I have called Shawn Glisson (the PRES) in South Carolina twice in the past
week and have had no reply.  The phone is always answered by an answering
service.  The first time I called, they said that that they would page him
and he would call right back - no call.  I called a few days later, and
they waid they would FAX my message to him - no call.  We are in Toronto.
Maybe he doesn't want to make long distance calls.  Has anyone in SC been
able to reach him?

Some months back, after HAITEX moved to SC, we tried to order the
programmer's tool kit.  They took the order but nothing ever showed up.
Some time later, they actually called us and asked if we still wanted it.
We said yes, but still nothing.

Does this company actually exist and produce product?  Mose retail stores
up here think that they are out of business.

We have a great idea for a stereo product, but there is no point if we
can't get a reliable source of glasses.

If you have had recent experience or contact with HAITEX, let me know and
I'll summarize.  I'd be especially interested in knowing if anyone has
actually received the tool kit and what their experience has been.

Thanks.

jlange@oracle.com (Jim Lange) (09/27/90)

In article <3564@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> msg@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca writes:

   We have a great idea for a stereo product, but there is no point if we
   can't get a reliable source of glasses.

   If you have had recent experience or contact with HAITEX, let me know and
   I'll summarize.  I'd be especially interested in knowing if anyone has
   actually received the tool kit and what their experience has been.

   Thanks.

I don't have any experience with Haitex, but when Impulse introduced
Turbo Silver SV (SV = Stereo Vision), they developed their own
interface that works with the Sega 3D glasses for Sega's video game
system (available in toy stores everywhere) because availability of
the Haitex product was questionable.  Impulse's system is fully
compatible with the Haitex system.  Perhaps Impulse would be willing
to share their software secrets with you (I don't know if they will
sell their interface as a stand alone product, however).

NOTE: I didn't purchase their stereo interface, but I considered it.

Jim Lange
Oracle Corporation