[comp.sys.amiga] Toaster shipped

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (09/26/90)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:

>Found this in comp.graphics:
>|From: straz@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Steve Strassmann)
>|Newsgroups: comp.graphics
>|Subject: NewTek Video Toaster has shipped
>|>
>|For those of you who've been waiting for a while, the NewTek Video
>|Toaster officially shipped to customers last Friday at 8pm.
>|
>|(Note: this is an add-on board (plus software) for the Amiga which
>|gives you broadcast-quality multichannel video mixing, editing,
>|switching, plus frame store/grab, character generator, plus a 3D
>|modeler, renderer, and animation software that does texture mapping,
>|shadows, and scads of other stuff all for $1600.)

Is anyone out there using the Amiga for producing broadcast quality video?
If so, what is the usual media accepted for broadcast?
What is the cheapest equipment (camera, recorder/player, sound) that can
be used for BROADCAST QUALITY productions?
If these are two different formats (cheapest one, and the one accepted by
broadcasters) then can the cheaper format be inepensively converted (transfered)?
Also, does anyone know about that show that they have every year where they try
and sell shows to stations (when, where, costs, registration procedures)??

I am assuming that I will be spending about:
~ $4000 on an Amiga 3000
~ $1600 on the toaster
~ $???? on additional software to make up for toaster defficiencies

Approximately how much more would I need to spend to achieve the cheapest
broadcast quality audio/video studio (minus the studio)?

If there are any low-budget independents out there, could you e-mail me any
miscellaneous tips (on any subject dealing with video production).

>|Disclaimer: I don't work for NewTek, I just go to their parties.
>|
>|Steve Strassmann
>|MIT Media Lab
>|straz@media-lab.media.mit.edu
>--
>J. Eric Townsend -- University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics (713) 749-2120
>Internet: jet@uh.edu
>Bitnet: jet@UHOU
>Skate UNIX(r)

Thanks for any and all help.
(Please pardon my naivete--I'm a Jamaati)
-hd

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (09/27/90)

In article <4460@prussian9.UUCP> dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) writes:

>Is anyone out there using the Amiga for producing broadcast quality video?
>If so, what is the usual media accepted for broadcast?
>What is the cheapest equipment (camera, recorder/player, sound) that can
>be used for BROADCAST QUALITY productions?
>If these are two different formats (cheapest one, and the one accepted by
>broadcasters) then can the cheaper format be inepensively converted (transfered)?

Well, it all boils down to the definition of "broadcast quality."
Network types use 1" tape and view anything else as inferior (and,
for the most part, rightfully so.)  Many stations use 3/4" tape
systems as it provides decent quality through multiple generations
copies/edits and the cost is quite a bit less than 1" (and it's
easier to work with.)

You can do decent "broadcast quality" work with high-grade Super VHS
equipment.  This can make network engineers cringe a bit but the fact
is that a LOT of small stations use Super-V for their ENG operations.
The only problem is that you lose quality FAST after a couple of
generations of copying. ("high-grade" does not mean "consumer grade".)

>I am assuming that I will be spending about:
>~ $4000 on an Amiga 3000
>~ $1600 on the toaster
>~ $???? on additional software to make up for toaster defficiencies
>
>Approximately how much more would I need to spend to achieve the cheapest
>broadcast quality audio/video studio (minus the studio)?

Quite a bit, actually. A camera, the actual editing decks (at least
two, one with full editing capability and both with full editor
controls.)  I'm assuming that the Toaster can give you the necessary
editing control (anyone??) so a switcher wouldn't be required.
A semi-educated guess would say at LEAST another $5000 - $7000.

>Thanks for any and all help.
>(Please pardon my naivete--I'm a Jamaati)
>-hd

bj - part owner of (and former master control operations chief for)
     a small, broadcast station is southern California.)

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer @ Commodore-Amiga Inc.                   |
 | bj@cbmvax.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj   GEnie: B.J. |
 | "Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons."                           |