[comp.sys.amiga] Programming Languages..?

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (09/27/90)

Hallo again.  I've just a few more questions for you all who are "in the
know," if you know what I mean...

A friend of mine and myself are becoming very, very interested in the
prospect of doing a bit of programming of my beautiful new A500, but have
come up against one big stumbling block: the choice of programming
language.  It's not so much that we can't decide on one as that we can't
seem to afford one.  So, keeping this in mind, I pose my question to you:

What, if any, public-domain language compilers exist that are suitable for
the production of Amiga programs, including, but not limited to, graphics
and sound?  I have considered PDC, except that it lacks, apparently the
libraries necessary for producing (easily, anyway) the aforementioned G&S
effects that we are looking for.  We have also looked into Amiga BASIC, and
dismissed it for its lack of speed.

I am well-acquainted with C and Pascal (yuck!) and have a minimal knowledge
of assembly, albeit on an 8088, and my friend is a BASIC wizard.

So!  Can anybody help me out?  I suppose that if worst comes to worst, I can
wait a LONG time, scrape together $400 or so, and buy a professional C
compiler, but, of course, I'd rather not.

Thanks for your time!

--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

In article <2042@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:
>What, if any, public-domain language compilers exist that are suitable for
>the production of Amiga programs, including, but not limited to, graphics
>and sound?  I have considered PDC, except that it lacks, apparently the
>libraries necessary for producing (easily, anyway) the aforementioned G&S
>effects that we are looking for.  We have also looked into Amiga BASIC, and
>dismissed it for its lack of speed.

Well, some already know that I'm a Basic fanatic (only using C when it
is ABSOLUTELY necessary for speed :-). If you want to spend money then
look into the various compilers for Basic: AC/Basic or Hisoft Basic, both
compatible to AmigaBasic. And there is that fast GFA Basic that has only
one disadvantage in my eyes, it only allows one statement per line
(reminds me of Fortran, yuck).

>I am well-acquainted with C and Pascal (yuck!) and have a minimal knowledge
>of assembly, albeit on an 8088, and my friend is a BASIC wizard.

If you're literate with Pascal, how about the next step to Modula 2? There
are good implementations for Amiga (at least 3, I think). And one also
exists in a PD version on Fish, only moderately stripped down.

And C is available in about 3 or 4 dialects as PD (PDC, Sozobon C,...)
and there's DICE, the new Matt Dillon version (will become Shareware,
I think, Matt?).

d6b@psuecl.bitnet (09/27/90)

In article <2042@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:
> I am well-acquainted with C and Pascal (yuck!) and have a minimal knowledge
> of assembly, albeit on an 8088, and my friend is a BASIC wizard.

My recommendations are as follows:

Assembly: Macro68
BASIC: AMOS
Pascal: Kick-Pascal
C: SAS C

I don't have (strong) opinions about the various other languages.
By the way, messages such as these should be posted to comp.sys.amiga.tech,
not here (in theory, anyway. I realize that not everyone gets all of the
Amiga newsgroups).

-- Dan Babcock

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/27/90)

In article <2042@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU>, niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W.
Carlson) says:

>What, if any, public-domain language compilers exist that are suitable for
>the production of Amiga programs, including, but not limited to, graphics
>and sound?  I have considered PDC, except that it lacks, apparently the

It sounds like you might be interested in Draco.  This language has a
fine academic pedigree from the Software Engineering Gurus, and is very
C-like in many regards.  I think it is available on a Fish Disk, no?