[comp.sys.amiga] More Marc stuff, but this time it's an answer!

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (09/13/90)

>>(As of now, all ofthe Amiga's OS enchancements -- including 2.0
  >> -- consist of large numbers of minor changes, with no really
  >> big changes)

  ( a bunch of paragraphs deleted of Marc Barrett whining and complaining
  about how 2.0 is only a minor upgrade, and that Intuition should
  be a device rather than how it is now)

  >>                                -MB-

  >I'm sorry you feel that 2.0 consists of "large numbers of minor changes".
  >Fortunately for the rest of us, you are in the minority.  There is a lot
  >of excitement about 2.0, precisely because it represents a very
  >significant improvement over 1.3.

  ( a bunch of paragraphs deleted of informative, insightful, and detailed
  information about many new programming features of 2.0 and how and why
  they were added for the programmer so that the AMiga is easier to program.)

  >Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  It is obvious that Marc Barrett knows little about computers.  He may know
  the latest buzzwords like "24 bit graphics" and "32 bit custom chip set",
  but I don't think he knows how 24 bits achieve the number of colors it
  does, or why a 32 bit chipset isn't made to fit into the 2000 and 500 like
  the 1 meg agnus was.  He comes up with ideas that he would like to see
  happen but does not know the theory behind them so he talk about them as
  if they can all be done *NOW*.  He doesn't understand that with a machine
  that has been out a while, one can't simply add every feature one wants
  and expect all software and hardware to continue to work.  For these
  reasons, Marc, certain limitations are put on and workarounds are sought
  after.  For those reading, please ignore Marc.  He does not understand
  computers in their technical sense.  This has caused his postings to be
  flamed because people who are in-the-know technically, know why certain
  features can not be implemented.  PLEASE IGNORE MARC BECAUSE HIS
  IGNORANCE OF COMPUTERS IS THE REASON HE POSTS IGNORANT MESSAGES.

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (09/15/90)

In message <4380@crash.cts.com> John Anderson <hawk@pnet01.cts.com> writes:

>  It is obvious that Marc Barrett knows little about computers.  He may know
>  the latest buzzwords like "24 bit graphics" and "32 bit custom chip set",
>  but I don't think he knows how 24 bits achieve the number of colors it
>  does, or why a 32 bit chipset isn't made to fit into the 2000 and 500 like
>  the 1 meg agnus was.  He comes up with ideas that he would like to see
>  happen but does not know the theory behind them so he talk about them as
>  if they can all be done *NOW*.  He doesn't understand that with a machine
>  that has been out a while, one can't simply add every feature one wants
>  and expect all software and hardware to continue to work.  For these
>  reasons, Marc, certain limitations are put on and workarounds are sought
>  after.  For those reading, please ignore Marc.  He does not understand
>  computers in their technical sense.  This has caused his postings to be
>  flamed because people who are in-the-know technically, know why certain
>  features can not be implemented.  PLEASE IGNORE MARC BECAUSE HIS
>  IGNORANCE OF COMPUTERS IS THE REASON HE POSTS IGNORANT MESSAGES.

   Did you ever actually read any of my postings, or did you only read the
insulting responses?  I never at any time said nor implied that I thought
a (hypothetical) 32-bit version of the Amiga's custom chipset could be
incorporated into the A500 or A2000.  Even being able to incorporate such
a chipset into the A3000 is in serious doubt.  Obviously, a totally new
machine (Amiga 5000?) would be needed.

   I also never at any time said nor implied that the same 32-bit
chipset could be developed "*NOW*".  It obviously can't, and will take
many years to develop.  I have only said that it is NEEDED now, which
is quite obvious if you (and other people) will only open your eyes
and look around.  There are video products available now for ISA- and EISA-
IBM compatibles based on the Texas Instruments and Western Digital
graphics coprocessor families.  Many of these video boards have extremely
high resolutions and have a price tag of less than $600.  Some do have
24-bit video capabilities.  There are also many comparitively inexpensive
high-speed 24-bit video boards available for the MAC.

   Now, obviously, companies developing video hardware for MACs and
IBM compatibles will continue to increase the resolutions, color
capability, and performances of their products.  By time Commodore
is finally finished with their 32-bit Amiga chipset, these hardware
developers will also be very far along in the designs of their video
products.  I happen to find it likely that they will be much further
along than Commodore at that time.

   Now, you and other people can insult me all you want.  If it makes
you feel good, go ahead.  I don't pay much attention to the insults
anyway.  But all the "Marc Barrett is ignorant and stupid" postings in
the world won't change the situation with the Amiga's color video
capabilities.

                               -MB-

jdege@ (Jeff Dege) (09/15/90)

   Just as an aside, how do you add a person to your kill file?  I've
figured out how to kill a thread, but handling individual "twits" would
be much more convenient (not to mention the reduction in stress-related
diseases ;)

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (09/16/90)

On 15 Sep 90 03:51:31 GMT you said:

>   Now, obviously, companies developing video hardware for MACs and
>IBM compatibles will continue to increase the resolutions, color
>capability, and performances of their products.  By time Commodore
>is finally finished with their 32-bit Amiga chipset, these hardware
>developers will also be very far along in the designs of their video
>products.  I happen to find it likely that they will be much further
>along than Commodore at that time.

How is it that WE as Amiga users have to RELY on Commodore for GRAPHICS? There
are products that will essentially give the Amiga NATIVE 24 bit color in
Hi Res.  Namely DCTV.  Yes this will be an external device.  But quite an in-
genius one.  It's cost will be fairly low too.  Try $495 List.  Much lower
than that in the store and mail order I am sure.  It is also a 24 bit digitzer/
framegrabber.  It will also allow FULL NTSC (24 bit equivilent) animations with
whatever limitations that standard Hi Res has.  The Animations being REAL-TIME
too.  Even if Amiga does get a 32 bit graphics chipset, will the machine be
fast enough for 24 bitplane 24 bit color REAL-TIME animations.  Possibly not.
Such a CHIPSET would most likely not work in the 500/1000/2000/2500s.  But
will most likely work on the 3000 on up.  DCTV will work on ALL Amigas.

It was stated at one time that the 3000's Zorro III slots would be fast enough
for any new chipsets that come along.  I wouldn't doubt it.  The Zorro III
bus's throughput is rated at some incredible rate.

>   Now, you and other people can insult me all you want.  If it makes
>you feel good, go ahead.  I don't pay much attention to the insults
>anyway.  But all the "Marc Barrett is ignorant and stupid" postings in
>the world won't change the situation with the Amiga's color video
>capabilities.

No it won't, but third party companies will.  Look at Mimitecs, Firecracker/24,
DCTV, Video Toaster, and Ham-e just to name the few that I know of....

>                               -MB-

||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
||                                   |      / /                        ||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

In article <30574@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>Marc Barrett writes:
>>   Now, you and other people can insult me all you want.  If it makes
>>you feel good, go ahead.  I don't pay much attention to the insults
>>anyway.  But all the "Marc Barrett is ignorant and stupid" postings in
>>the world won't change the situation with the Amiga's color video
>>capabilities.
>
>No it won't, but third party companies will.  Look at Mimitecs,
>Firecracker/24, >DCTV, Video Toaster, and Ham-e just to name the
>few that I know of....

	The problem with all of the devices listed above (except
possibly the video toaster, I don't know) is that none of them
allow programs to interactively draw on the screen in a 640x???
mode and at a reasonable pace. In general, I am referring to
using the workbench and standard screens.
	Programmers who are writing software for business apps,
word proc., DTP, etc. (ie non-video) will not start writing
windowing functions, etc. on their own. HAM-E is limited to
320x400 mode and no flicker-fixing. The Toaster, Firecracker and
Mimetics are all framebuffers which would require programmers to
work at the bitmap level. DCTV as I understand it doesn't support
the workbench and screens.
	Therefore, the <$200 800x600 w/ 256 out of 16.7M color
VGA board for the IBM, from the users perspective, is far better
than DCTV or HAM-E because at least their CAD program will
support it!
	Now, please don't remind me of all the benefits of the
Amiga system over VGA, I haven't forgotten them. The blitter
speeds up animation significantly, you have chip ram for easy
access to multiple frames, etc. 768x480 w/4 out of 4096 is good
for most uses, just not all!

>>                               -MB-

>||To steal from one is plagiarism.  To steal from many is research.    ||
>||___________________________________               ---UNKNOWN---      ||
>||                                   |      / /                        ||
>||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
>||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
>||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

*Iraq += *Kuwait;
NumCountries--;

and by popular demand...

free(Kuwait);

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (09/16/90)

	RE "improved" graphics

	I just have one question:  why do people keep saying that VGA gives
256 colors out of 16.7 million when it's really 256 colors out of 262,144?
Did they change it when I wasn't looking?

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

In article <1990Sep15.202651.8892@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <30574@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>>Marc Barrett writes:

>>No it won't, but third party companies will.  Look at Mimitecs,
>>Firecracker/24, >DCTV, Video Toaster, and Ham-e just to name the
>>few that I know of....

>	Programmers who are writing software for business apps,
>word proc., DTP, etc. (ie non-video) will not start writing
>windowing functions, etc. on their own.

Yet for VGA under MS-DOS, that's exactly what they do.  Well, there are some
3rd party windowing products a developer can buy, like the run-time MS Windows
package and several others, but the bottom line is, support for graphics on
the MS-DOS machines is done at the application level.  You get it at the
OS level on the Amiga, and what everyone who's used to that wants is the same
thing, only extended to arbitrary graphics boards.  Which would be wonderful,
I agree, but it's not here just yet.

>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

      Get that coffee outta my face, put a Margarita in its place!

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/18/90)

Well, it looks to me like Mark has summed it up the better than anyone
else so far.  The Amiga is losing (if not lost) it's position in the
video/computer graphics market.  Creative suggestions are in order,
not pointless flaming and complaing.  Once again, I ask for any comments
on the state of Amiga graphics and it's possible futures.  E-Mail me
directly please.  Oh yeah, I still haven't received any *REALLY GOOD*
flames. 8^)
--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (09/18/90)

>How is it that WE as Amiga users have to RELY on Commodore for GRAPHICS? There
>are products that will essentially give the Amiga NATIVE 24 bit color in
>Hi Res.  Namely DCTV.  Yes this will be an external device.  But quite an in-
>genius one.  It's cost will be fairly low too.  Try $495 List.  Much lower
>than that in the store and mail order I am sure.  It is also a 24 bit digitzer/
>framegrabber.  It will also allow FULL NTSC (24 bit equivilent) animations with
>whatever limitations that standard Hi Res has.  The Animations being REAL-TIME
>too.  Even if Amiga does get a 32 bit graphics chipset, will the machine be
>fast enough for 24 bitplane 24 bit color REAL-TIME animations.  Possibly not.
>Such a CHIPSET would most likely not work in the 500/1000/2000/2500s.  But
>will most likely work on the 3000 on up.  DCTV will work on ALL Amigas.

DCTV is fine for what it does.  Firecracker 24 will help.  The Toaster will
help a lot, but...  Mac 32 bit Quickdraw provides a device independent
interface for Mac programs.  You can drag a window onto any 24 bit Mac
framebuffer.  Even have multiple framebuffers for a HUGE virtual desktop
spread out over several monitors.  Not the kind of solution I would want.
I prefer one monitor - several screens.  But the integration is fairly
seamless.  And the Mac community is beginning to figure out what video is.
Windows 3.0 is threatening to do the same kind of thing for the PC world.
The Amiga's slide in the market is real, but it doesn't have to continue.
The interactive multimedia applications on the Amiga are knock-out type
stuff.  The Mac and PC worlds are going to have as good or better stuff
available next year.  Look at who Autodesk has hired (Dan Silva, of
DPaint III fame for one).  And this stuff works on 24 bit boards.  The
Amiga software will have to do the same *JUST TO KEEP UP*.  I'm not saying
the sky is falling, just don't bury your head in the sand.  <- Cute, no?

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and
 you ever seen Claude Rains?"  |  \X/ balances /_\   |   /_\  |  Mass Sarcasm."

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (09/19/90)

I have an application in mind for DCTV.  Most failure analysis labs
need to take color polaroids from microscopes of chip dies.
Replace this setup with a color camera and DCTV, convert to IFF
and print using a desktop publisher.  I'm not sure what quality
at what price color printing is though, this could be a problem.

The lab at work spends $10,000/year on color poloraids, if I can say
I can do this was a $5,000 dollar amiga, then they should give me the
other $5,000 as a bonus.

I would appreciate anyone framegrabbing video rather than taking polaroids
to email with their solutions.

krag@cup.portal.com

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>high-speed 24-bit video boards available for the MAC.

>   Now, obviously, companies developing video hardware for MACs and

MAC, MAC, MAC!! That's all we hear. sheesh.

But I do have an observation...:
If you add an 'R' to MAC, right before the 'C'.... you get MARC!!!

and Barrett is pretty close to 'berate' which means:
"To scold or **condemn** vehemently and at **length**" [emphasis by me]

So maybe there is truth that MB is an AI program sent over to bug us by
the Mac group?

C'mon MarcIntosh... admit it.. :-)

[BTW: Marc, why oh why are you **sooo*** worried about the state of the art
for Amiga when you only have an Amiga 500 anyway? (at least that's what you
told us you have in an earlier posting). Even if the Amiga did have 24 bit
HD TV quality video, surround sound, and a built in microwave oven, could
you afford it? Well neither can most of the rest of us, so how is CBM going
to make any money off of it if no one buys it?]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) writes:

>The lab at work spends $10,000/year on color poloraids, if I can say
>I can do this was a $5,000 dollar amiga, then they should give me the
>other $5,000 as a bonus.

HAHAHA! Hoo-Boy that's a good one! You've got a lot to learn about how
management thinks about such things. heheheheh. (I just had to take over
for the other electrical engineer here who quit, there were two of us now
only I am left. For some strange reason, they didn't give me his paycheck
too, even tho I have to do his job. Wierd huh?)

But on to your idea:
The Amiga won't have as high a resolution as the photographs do. So you will
lose a lot of detail by using the Amiga. and more when trying to print it out
on a color printer. Most printers only have 4 colors and they have to dither
the output to get the colors needed. This will lower the detail again.
To overcome these limitations would cost more than it would save you. Plus
add an additional layer of complexity that is not needed (why go thru the extra
step of digitizing then printing when all you need is a picture?). The only
reason to use an Amiga in such a situation would be if you need to manipulate
the picture before printing it (such as false coloring to bring out flaws, etc)

At least that's the way I see it from what you described. What you didn't say
is by what method they are taking these poloroids. If they are using a camera
mounted on a microscope, then you have the additional problem of getting a
video camera mounted on the m-scope in place of the poloroid.

[I can't see it costing $10000 a year for poloroids though. What did you leave
out?]

--

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (09/27/90)

In article <3190@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>The Amiga won't have as high a resolution as the photographs do.
>. Most printers only have 4 colors and they have to dither
>the output to get the colors needed.

The new Seiko color PostScript printer is Pantone *certified* and
it's only a four-color (or three-color, or one-color) printer.  If
you tell it to print Pantone #nnn, you get Pantone #nnn.

>[I can't see it costing $10000 a year for poloroids though. What did you leave
>out?]

The people down the hall from me pay $8-12 for each color poloroid they
make.  (I think they have a Matrix QCM, but don't quote me.) You should
realize there are a *lot* of different poloroid imaging compounds
out.  Everything from Mom-and-Dad's Poloroid, to instant+b/w negative
to outrageously expensive 8x10 and larger color prints.
--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (09/28/90)

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) writes:

>The lab at work spends $10,000/year on color poloraids, if I can say
>I can do this was a $5,000 dollar amiga, then they should give me the
>other $5,000 as a bonus.

HAHAHA! Hoo-Boy that's a good one! You've got a lot to learn about how
management thinks about such things. heheheheh. (I just had to take over
for the other electrical engineer here who quit, there were two of us now
only I am left. For some strange reason, they didn't give me his paycheck
too, even tho I have to do his job. Wierd huh?)

But on to your idea:
The Amiga won't have as high a resolution as the photographs do. So you will
lose a lot of detail by using the Amiga. and more when trying to print it out
on a color printer. Most printers only have 4 colors and they have to dither
the output to get the colors needed. This will lower the detail again.
To overcome these limitations would cost more than it would save you. Plus
add an additional layer of complexity that is not needed (why go thru the extra
step of digitizing then printing when all you need is a picture?). The only
reason to use an Amiga in such a situation would be if you need to manipulate
the picture before printing it (such as false coloring to bring out flaws, etc)

At least that's the way I see it from what you described. What you didn't say
is by what method they are taking these poloroids. If they are using a camera
mounted on a microscope, then you have the additional problem of getting a
video camera mounted on the m-scope in place of the poloroid.

[I can't see it costing $10000 a year for poloroids though. What did you leave
out?]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Emai
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|7 line Multi-User system.         | Downloads & more.
A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of----Ogden Nash

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (09/28/90)

polaroids.

Yeah, it would be nice if mmanagement thought that way, just wishful
thinking on my part.

We already have a four-point probe with a color camera, and a microscope
with BW video out.  I believe they make color video cameras with camera
mounts.  If I use DCTV I preserve the color space and video resolution.

You hit the nail on the head about printers.  Photographic quality
requires the use of a color Postscript laser or thermal printer,
maybe even reseperation software.  A bit much to replace a polaroid.

I suspect that a PaintJet does an acceptable job of dithering a HAM
picture.  The photos are to be included in reports in which the defects
are circled and pin numbers shown, with a sidebar explanation.  Since
I start with still video which is acceptable, the question is
whether the printout will be.  I think so for our purposes as
the photos are part of a routine documentation process (I work at a
military contractor).  30% of the photos end up in the wastebasket by
the time the final report is made.

Management decision is being made based on a sample inkjet printout
from the local dealer.  I hope they like blondes. :-)