[comp.sys.amiga] Post 1.1

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (05/26/90)

I've installed Post 1.1 and have some troubles with it:

I simply can't display (or print) any document I prepared with ProPage 1.3.
The Post screen stays white, except maybe for some graphic elements such as
lines or boxes. But there's never any text.
I suppose this is a font problem, but how can I solve it? I don't have the
additional CG Font Disks (but I'm planning to get them).

Very often, I get an error saying "unknown command - showpage" or something
like this. What is this?

Or what about these two:

post: error: limitcheck, command --setscreen--
post: error: limitcheck, file vd0:test.ps

Any help appreciated.

--
------------------------------------
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com

hakimian@CS2.CS.WSU.EDU (Karl Hakimian - staff) (06/12/90)

So where can I get post 1.1? I have not been able to find it.
Thanks

hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

" Seaman) (06/13/90)

hakimian@CS2.CS.WSU.EDU (Karl Hakimian - staff) writes:
> So where can I get post 1.1? I have not been able to find it.
> Thanks
>
> hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

I found it on the Radical Eye BBS (though I don't have the number with
me).  There were also a number of PostScript fonts available.

My problem isn't FINDING the thing, it's RUNNING the thing.  Every time
I try to use post 1.1, I either:

	a) Visit the Guru (various error types)
	b) Get garbage on my printer (HP Deskjet Plus)
	c) Get very frustrated and go work on something else...
	d) Go to step a.

When I try to print, I usually get a small rectangle (or a portion
thereof) on a page, but nothing else.  I've tried PS and EPS files,
many of which I was able to print using ghostscript.

Just for the record, I do have ConMan installed, and have set up the
required PSFonts: directory, as well as copying the appropriate
post2620.library to libs:post.library.  I can go through the motions
of loading fonts (no errors), but when I try to print a file I either
get one of the above symptoms or I get a rather cryptic error, and
no output.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Please?

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
cseaman@sequent <or>              |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (06/13/90)

2 questions answered (hopefully):

1)  Post1.1 is on xanth.cs.odu.edu, in the incoming/amiga
    directory.

2)  People with 2091 or 590 disk drives will need to (for the
    time being) manually clear location 0.  A "bug" in the
    post.library causes it to crash when $0 != 0.  The 2091/
    590 puts a nonzero value there.

    I won't waste the bandwidth of posting the code to clear
    0, but with Navas's nostartup code idea, it compiles
    down to ~300 bytes.

Post1.1 is a really great program once the initial hurdles are
passed.  Honestly, it sets the Amiga apart--no other machine I
know of has a _good_ PD PostScript interpreter.

dylan mcnamee

jean@pogo.hasler (06/14/90)

In article <9006120337.AA12695@cs2.cs.wsu.edu> hakimian@CS2.CS.WSU.EDU
(Karl Hakimian - staff) writes:
>So where can I get post 1.1? I have not been able to find it.
>Thanks
>
>hakimian@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

I am also very interested but I have no ftp access! Can somebody
put it on comp.sources.amiga? Thanks.

J-B.Boichat Ascom Hasler AG, CH-3000 Berne 14, Switzerland

mitchell@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Evan Mitchell) (07/25/90)

I'm having problems gettting Post 1.1 (the Postscript interpreter) to work.
I've installed Conman, I've installed the library, I've downloaded the fonts
on Xanth, I just can't get it to work.  I keep getting errors (the most common
being command not found!)  I've been trying to print postscript files
created with Professional page, but I just don't know what to do...

BTW, I have an A500, 1 meg, 2 drives, old agnes...

Can somebody help me?

-Evan Jay Mitchell
 mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (09/07/90)

    I just installed POST1.1, the postscript interpreter.  I have exactly
three postscript files, two of which were created with pagestream 1.8.
(The other is a picture of the Simpsons that HAS been printed on PS printers)
Anyway, I always get the same error:

"POST:ERROR: TYPECHECK --bind--"

The postscript commands that precede this error are:

/bdef {bind def} bind def
/xdef {exch def} bind def
/cmatrix matrix def
/omatrix matrix def

These seem to be standard, since they're present in all of my postscript files.

The error occurs on the next statement, which is "/sclm [0 0 0 0 0 0] bdef"

Finally, the answer is YES, I am running init.ps first.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide-
 Larry Augsburger

axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (09/11/90)

HEELPP....

I am trying to get some postscript printouts using Post 1.1 and I am having
severe difficulties.  My system is

A500P with 1 meg of Chip Ram
A590 Hard Drive 1 meg fast Ram
C= MPS 1250
(Epson X Compatible printer)

The problem is when Post 1.1 reads a postscript file created
with excellence 2.0.  I do have postscript fonts. When I try
to print it I get several line feeds..that's all...

I start post 1.1 by starting con-man..then starting post..
(I believe there is another stepI gothrough...)

I then use the shell tospecify init.ps as the first program, then
the name of my document as the second.
Heelp....I would really like to get this running..

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/14/90)

axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) writes:
< HEELPP....
<
< I am trying to get some postscript printouts using Post 1.1 and I am having
< severe difficulties...
<
< The problem is when Post 1.1 reads a postscript file created
< with excellence 2.0.  I do have postscript fonts. When I try
< to print it I get several line feeds..that's all...
<
< I start post 1.1 by starting con-man..then starting post..
< (I believe there is another stepI gothrough...)
<
< I then use the shell tospecify init.ps as the first program, then
< the name of my document as the second.
< Heelp....I would really like to get this running..

If anyone out there can help, I am having similar problems.  I have
conman loaded, specified all the required assigns, placed some
postscript fonts in the PSFonts: directory (I think that is what it was
called, anyway), and made sure that init.ps runs first (I tried relying
on POST to run it, and running it explicitly myself, with no
difference).  All I get is a few black bars/boxes on the output paper,
or no output at all (sometimes it just guru's).  Note that I do have a
2091, but address zero is clear.

If ANYONE can help, I'd really appreciate it.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |       ///        Make up your own

R_MCINTI%UNHH.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (09/17/90)

Could anybody tell me how to get a hold of the Postscript interperter
POST 1.1? Doesn't seem to be on any Fred Fish disks.

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (09/19/90)

In article <42367@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:
>axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) writes:
>< HEELPP....
><
>< I am trying to get some postscript printouts using Post 1.1 and I am having
>< severe difficulties...
><
>< The problem is when Post 1.1 reads a postscript file created
>< with excellence 2.0.  I do have postscript fonts. When I try
>< to print it I get several line feeds..that's all...
><

>If anyone out there can help, I am having similar problems.  I have
>conman loaded, specified all the required assigns, placed some
>postscript fonts in the PSFonts: directory (I think that is what it was

Be sure that you have modifyed INIT.PS to indicated the proper directory
and A DEFAULT FONT.  There are notes in the file about which lines to
delete/change to affect these paramters.  I was getting blank pages because
Pagestream specifyed fonts that did not come with POST, and I had not yet
set a default font.

BTW, if you get BIND errors, as I did running a pagestream file, it is because
of (and take it easy on me here - I don't know postscript) strict type
checking on the command "BIND DEF".  Evidently, pagestream used plain "DEF"
and "BIND DEF" (abbreviated as BDEF) carelessly.  I noticed that "BIND DEF"
should follow procedure-like declarations, while "DEF" is for variable
assignments and aliases and such.
I wrote a small program to go through and make appropriate changes.
It is available on AMIGABASE BBS at (301) 760-2483.

-Larry Augsburger

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/20/90)

For the last several months I have been trying (rather unsuccesfully)
to get Post 1.1 to work on my 2500.  I have had SEVERAL kind offers of
assistance, as well as many suggestions and words of advice.
Unfortunately, none of these people were able to solve my problem.
Until yesterday.

Many thanks to Georg Magschok (S_MAGSCHOK@IRAVCL.IRA.UKA.DE), who
advised me (actually the net at large) to double-check the pagesize for
the printer.  I don't know how I managed to screw it up, but I did.
Now Post is running very well.

However, I am still having a few problems.  Certain font files don't
work (I am running on a 5MB machine, so memory should not be the
problem).  I have found several fonts on BBS's, all of which appear (to
my limited postscript intelligence) to be valid fonts, but some just do
nothing.  By that I mean that I can load the font with no errors, or
use it in a document, but when I attempt to print the document, after
'Running...' for between 45 seconds and a minute, Post just goes back to
an idle state.  No errors, no output, no nothing.

Lastly, I have noticed that even some of the sample files included
with Post don't print.  One gives a dictfull error (I believe it was
escher.ps), but I can't remember the specific errors the others gave.

Any ideas as to what I'm overlooking?  I thought about tweaking the
memory parameters, but it seems that that should not be a problem on
such small files (and multipage text files print with no problem).

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!
                                  |   \____/      to a newsgroup near you!

zinkv@azu22.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Volker Zink) (09/24/90)

	Hello,

i've read the articles about post1.1 and have decided to get this post1.1 .
But on my Amiga it gurus all the time. I used several possible options
(IFF) e.g. "post init.ps IFF test?.iff SIZE x640y400d75b"
and varied them (no Size, other Size, with a postscript demo, ...)
it gurus. When i use the option 'PRINTER' it types out  that the
file isn't a postscript-file. But i have used Postscript-demos which i
viewed with xps on a sun. Although Lharc uncompressed the File without Errors
i reloaded post11.lzh, but nothing changed.
So i don't know which fault it is i am making. If someone could imagine
the fault it would be nice if he could email to me.

Thanx
		Volker
Volker Zink               Email: zinkv@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
Student                   local: zinkv@azu
Universitaet Stuttgart

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (09/28/90)

In article <42633@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:
>...I have found several fonts on BBS's, all of which appear (to
>my limited postscript intelligence) to be valid fonts, but some just do
>nothing.

Has anyone tried the GhostScript .gsf files with Post?  I'd like to
hear of success before I go to the hassle of transferring all those
kilobytes of stuff over a serial line to my Amiga...

kEITHe