[comp.sys.amiga] AMIX and X

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) (09/20/90)

Could some informed soul please post a response to the rumor of
AMIX being scrapped, and what possibilities of running X applications
?

Doug D.

scherb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Jeff Scherb - CATS) (09/20/90)

In article <10520@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:
>Could some informed soul please post a response to the rumor of
>AMIX being scrapped, and what possibilities of running X applications
>?
>
>Doug D.

Commodore has an active engineering project working on a AT&T UNIX V.4
for the Amiga.  That's not secret.  We have shown it at a number of
industry events over the past year or more.  That does not mean that
it will automatically become a released product, however.  Commodore
is evaluating the market potential for Amigas running UNIX, and the
costs of entering and competing in that market.  If and when we decide
that releasing Amiga UNIX is a good business decision for the company,
we will release the product.  As of yet, Commodore has not made a
formal announcement of the availability of the product.  Showing the
system at industry events helps us understand the market's reaction
to the product, and therefore contributes to the overal market
analysis, but does not indicate whether or not we'll actually release
the product.  So, stay tuned...

Jeff Scherb
Vice President, Applications & Technical Support (CATS)
(215) 431-9184 - Commodore Business Machines
FAX (215) 431-9184
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!scherb
Jeff Scherb
Vice President, Applications & Technical Support (CATS)
(215) 431-9184 - Commodore Business Machines
FAX (215) 431-9184
uucp: ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!scherb

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (09/22/90)

You can get Dale Luck's version of X/11 from GFX Base...retail is something
like $395, but it supports networking, Moniterm/A2024 hires display, and the
Boing! 3-button optical mouse.

Sean

PS> Amiga Unix is still around..."AMIX" doesn't exist anymore (the name I
mean).

Sean
  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       |
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil | " Fanatics have their
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                |   dreams, wherewith they
                                               |   weave a paradise for
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham                   |   a sect. "
      Voice: (512) 994-1602  PLINK: ce3k*      |                -Keats

  Call C.B.A.U.G. BBS (512) 883-8351 w/SkyPix  | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

FVEST@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU (Floyd Vest) (09/28/90)

Jeff Scherb - CATS <scherb@cbmvax.commodore.com> wrote:
>In article <10520@hubcap.clemson.edu> ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (douglas m dyer) writes:
>>Could some informed soul please post a response to the rumor of
>>AMIX being scrapped, and what possibilities of running X applications

>Commodore has an active engineering project working on a AT&T UNIX V.4
>for the Amiga.  That's not secret.  We have shown it at a number of
>industry events over the past year or more.  That does not mean that
>it will automatically become a released product, however.  Commodore
>is evaluating the market potential for Amigas running UNIX, and the
>costs of entering and competing in that market.  If and when we decide
>that releasing Amiga UNIX is a good business decision for the company,
>we will release the product.  As of yet, Commodore has not made a
>formal announcement of the availability of the product.  Showing the

Not to be a disagreeable sort, but I opened a magazine (Educom Review)
yesterday that advertised the "Unix v.4 platform" as available for the
Amiga 3000.  Sounds formally announced to me :-).  I realize advertising
lead-times and sliding dates make marketing a new product difficult, but
you make it sound like IF instead of WHEN.  This is, at this point, more of
a marketing question than a technical question anyway :-) Marketing, care
to comment about the ad?

--
Floyd Vest     Auburn University      ##### fvest@ducvax.auburn.edu #####