[comp.sys.amiga] Is it possible to change NTSC into PAL?

frankj@ifi.uio.no (Frank Tore Johansen) (09/05/90)

Is it possible to change a NTSC-amiga (american version) into PAL?
And what about the power supply?  Can it be changed?  (From 60 to 50 Hz)

-Frank Tore Johansen

--
(Argh, /dev/null ate my signature :-)

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) (09/06/90)

> Is it possible to change a NTSC-amiga (american version) into PAL?
> And what about the power supply?  Can it be changed?  (From 60
> to 50 Hz)
>
> -Frank Tore Johansen

	Yes it is possible.  **>>On the Amiga 2000<<**, there is an
internal jumper on the power supply that allow you to select the
Amirican or the European standard.

	Which monitor do you own?  The C= 1081 will aotomatically
adjust itself to the PAL or NTSC standard.  You can also manually
change the vertical size of the C= 1080 by an internal control.

	You also have to change two things on your 2000
motherboard.  The Agnus (8361) chip (I don't know about the fat
agnus), and the system clock.  NTSC' clock run at 28,63636 MHz and
the PAL' clock run at 28,37516.

	You should contack your C= service center for doing the
chip swap.  They will inform you about the part numbers of the
cristal and the Agnus(FatAgnus) chips.

	Good luck,

					Edouard Boily
					Dept. de Physique
					Universite Laval
					Quebec, CANADA

cl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chee Lee) (09/07/90)

>> Is it possible to change a NTSC-amiga (american version) into PAL?
>> And what about the power supply?  Can it be changed?  (From 60
>> to 50 Hz)
>>
>> -Frank Tore Johansen
>
>	Yes it is possible.  **>>On the Amiga 2000<<**, there is an
>internal jumper on the power supply that allow you to select the
>Amirican or the European standard.
>
>	Which monitor do you own?  The C= 1081 will aotomatically
>adjust itself to the PAL or NTSC standard.  You can also manually
>change the vertical size of the C= 1080 by an internal control.
>
>	You also have to change two things on your 2000
>motherboard.  The Agnus (8361) chip (I don't know about the fat
>agnus), and the system clock.  NTSC' clock run at 28,63636 MHz and
>the PAL' clock run at 28,37516.
>
>	You should contack your C= service center for doing the
>chip swap.  They will inform you about the part numbers of the
>cristal and the Agnus(FatAgnus) chips.

How about the A500?  Can it be done that way too?

William
\\\LCL///

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (09/28/90)

boily@phy.ulaval.ca (Edouard Boily) writes:

>> Is it possible to change a NTSC-amiga (american version) into PAL?
>> And what about the power supply?  Can it be changed?  (From 60
>> to 50 Hz)
>>
>> -Frank Tore Johansen

>	Yes it is possible.  **>>On the Amiga 2000<<**, there is an
>internal jumper on the power supply that allow you to select the
>Amirican or the European standard.

Well it isn't just on the 2000. Any Amiga (500's are being shipped w/ the 1 meg
Agnus chip) with the 1 meg Agnus chip can
switch into PAL mode. Using the program called PALBooter, you can boot as
if you were in PAL mode. There is a slight flicker (freq change?), but that is
all.

>	You also have to change two things on your 2000
>motherboard.  The Agnus (8361) chip (I don't know about the fat
>agnus), and the system clock.  NTSC' clock run at 28,63636 MHz and
>the PAL' clock run at 28,37516.

You do have to change to make sure you have the 1 meg Agnus chip. How do you
tell, you ask? Well you should have 1meg of chip ram if you have the fatter
Agnus (but not necessarily. I have the chip but 512k chip & 512k fast ram).
If you still don't know just try booting PALBooter. You will be able to tell
if it works.

>	You should contack your C= service center for doing the
>chip swap.  They will inform you about the part numbers of the
>cristal and the Agnus(FatAgnus) chips.

>	Good luck,

>					Edouard Boily
>					Dept. de Physique
>					Universite Laval
>					Quebec, CANADA
| Tabor Wells                        |  "Wherever you go, there are your   |
| twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu             |   -Pope Anastasius Sixtus Maximus I |