[comp.sys.amiga] A3000 and a C compiler

scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) (09/26/90)

I folk-

	I read sometime ago here that the people at Manx got
the 2.0 WB specs for them to fool around with to make Aztec C
2.0 compatible.  Someone else posted saying that Lattice had
already gotten that and included it in Lattice C V5.10.
Is this true?  I am in need of a  C compiler for my new 3000
but want a compiler that's really going to work NOW on my
machine.  I've been holding off until I see a 2.0 compatible
sticker on  either Lattice or Manx...

	Question:  Is Lattice 5.10 REALLY running on a 3000 with
WB2.0?  Is any version of Aztec C?

	Second Question:  I'm leaning toward Lattice, since it
seems to be the current favorite.  But I'd welcome any E-mail
of personal preferences.
        I will mostly using it to do science, but I want to
fool around with my own nifty stuff for my Amiga.....

Thanks in Advance,
Jim Scott

jmeissen@ogicse.ogi.edu (John Meissen) (09/27/90)

In article <1816@nemesis.stsci.edu> scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:
>machine.  I've been holding off until I see a 2.0 compatible
>sticker on  either Lattice or Manx...
>
>	Question:  Is Lattice 5.10 REALLY running on a 3000 with
>WB2.0?  Is any version of Aztec C?

SAS/C (Lattice C) for the Amiga is shipping now with a little green
"2.0 compatible" sticker on it. It has Commodore include files for
both 1.3 and 2.0, and takes advantage of 2.0 features when running
under 2.0.

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

walker@unx.sas.com (Doug Walker) (09/27/90)

In article <1816@nemesis.stsci.edu> scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:
>machine.  I've been holding off until I see a 2.0 compatible
>sticker on  either Lattice or Manx...
>
>	Question:  Is Lattice 5.10 REALLY running on a 3000 with
>WB2.0?  Is any version of Aztec C?

SAS/C 5.10 (successor to Lattice C) does have the 2.0 compatibility
sticker.  In fact, any version 5.x Lattice compiler will run under
2.0, but 5.10 comes with the 2.0 include files.  The only 2.0 problems
the earlier version had was that LSE (the editor) didn't work properly
if the workbench had 8 or more colors, and CPR (the debugger) had
some cosmetic ugliness with its window borders.  The 2.0 include
files are important if you want to use the new 2.0 features, of
course, but the actual executables of the earlier version work
just fine.

I've had an A3000 at SAS since a month before the announcement, and
I've had one at home since a month after.  Commodore used the compiler
to compile Workbench 2.0 and various parts of hte system, and the
Software Distillery used it to compile the 2.0 DOS commands.  I'd have
to say it's pretty well tested on the configuration you will have :-).

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)460-7430 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) (09/28/90)

>Item:11559  About: A3000 and a C compiler
>Date: Tue Sep 25 21:52:02 1990
>

>I folk-
>
>	I read sometime ago here that the people at Manx got
>the 2.0 WB specs for them to fool around with to make Aztec C
>2.0 compatible.  Someone else posted saying that Lattice had
>already gotten that and included it in Lattice C V5.10.
>Is this true?  I am in need of a  C compiler for my new 3000
>but want a compiler that's really going to work NOW on my

Go with the Lattice stuff... I am looking at it here and it is a full 2.0
development system ( a lot better than just compatible ).

========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
=Also the mantra and spells, the obeah and the wanga; the work of the wand=
=and the work of the sword: these shall he learn and teach.               =
=       He must teach; but he may make severe the ordeals.                =
=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
=    NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by either         =
=    Xanadu Enterpises or its clients, AT&T Bell Labs or others.          =
=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

uphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (09/28/90)

[In "A3000 and a C compiler" <270253c0-2d27.2comp.sys.amiga-1@tronsbox.xei.com>,
      tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (HIM) said:]
:
: Go with the Lattice stuff... I am looking at it here and it is a full 2.0
: development system ( a lot better than just compatible ).
:
A "full development system"?  Sounds pretty impressive.  Aside from a
compiler, assembler, linker, editor, symbolic debugger, librarian, make,
includes, and a manual, what else do you get?  ;-)

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717