[comp.sys.amiga] Using PAL Amigas in the USA

cl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chee Lee) (09/22/90)

This is just a note to dispel some myths about using PAL (UK Versions)
Amiga in the USA:

	I brought my PAL (not NTSC) Amiga from Singapore and intended to get a
RGB Analog Monitor and a Power Supply to connect to the machine.  The
Power Supply I had back home accepts the Commonwealth Standard of 220V,
which is apparently different from the 110V being used here in the USA.

	Since what the Amiga 500 requires is an input voltage of +5V, -5V and
+12V DC, I would expect a power supply purchased here would work fine on
my machine.  I was told by several people (vendors, Amiga-users) that
this is not the case.  I can't use a PAL 500 with the Power Supply or
RGB Monitor here.  I was told that in order for my machine to work, I
would have to change the crystal, and replace the custom chips to turn
my PAL machine into an NTSC one.

	I almost resorted to changing the chips, till I found a A500 user who
was kind enough to let me try my PAL CPU with his Commodore Power Supply
and Commodore Analog Monitor.  At this stage, I had no choice but to
take the risk of destroying both my Amiga and my friend's power supply.

	When I turn it on, bingo! My PAL machine works perfectly with the 110V
PS and the output to the (presumably NTSC) Monitor was PAL!

	So,...  the moral of the story is that PAL Amigas does work in the USA,
we just have to get a decent RGB Analog monitor and a Power Supply.

	The only drawback for this configuration, perhaps, is the inability to
output the PAL Amiga Graphics produced into NTSC Video.

-William
\\\LCL///
|            ///             Make Up Your Own Mind! Amiga!         |
|           ///              =========================          |
|    \\\   ///               Send mail to: cl3a@andrew.cmu.edu       |
|      \\\///                =========================          |
|            ///             Make Up Your Own Mind! Amiga!         |
|           ///              =========================          |

lupe@alanya.Germany.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) (09/27/90)

cl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chee Lee) writes:

>This is just a note to dispel some myths about using PAL (UK Versions)
>Amiga in the USA:

>	I brought my PAL (not NTSC) Amiga from Singapore and intended to get a
>RGB Analog Monitor and a Power Supply to connect to the machine.  The
>Power Supply I had back home accepts the Commonwealth Standard of 220V,
>which is apparently different from the 110V being used here in the USA.
I thought UK is using 240 V, so that ought to be "Commonwealth Standard".
220V is used in most countries all over the world. I believe it has
advantages to use a higher voltage from the perspective of the supplier.

>	Since what the Amiga 500 requires is an input voltage of +5V, -5V and
>+12V DC, I would expect a power supply purchased here would work fine on
>my machine.  I was told by several people (vendors, Amiga-users) that
>this is not the case.  I can't use a PAL 500 with the Power Supply or
>RGB Monitor here.  I was told that in order for my machine to work, I
>would have to change the crystal, and replace the custom chips to turn
>my PAL machine into an NTSC one.
You can also use a step-down transformer. A friend of mine in Phoenix
is running his German Atari (boo, hiss) from the supply voltage
for his washing machine, which is 220 V. I was surprise to hear this,
as I always thought that there is only 110 V. (Comments, Americans ?)

The other rarely mentioned side-effect of the 110V/220V issue is
that the US net is running at 60 Hertz, while most of the rest of the world
is using 50 Hertz. This applies to synchronous motors, like they are
used in mechanical digital clocks to use the very stable frequency
to get an exact time base. Or in older disk motors.  I believe newer
ones use DC motors.

This frequency difference is probably what makes people think that
they have to change the timing base of their video. This is not true.
In fact, the crystal they told you to change provides this timing base.
And the timing provided on the horizontal and vertical synch lines
of the Amiga must be matched by the monitor.

You can use any monitor able to match this timing and display analog
RGB. Like a VGA monitor with flexible timing (avoiding a trademark
here, can you guess it ? :-). So if you *have* a monitor that
runs with the Amiga, why should it change it's timing when it's
run off 110V/60Hz ? I would *hope* it does not derive it's time base
from the line frequency.

>	I almost resorted to changing the chips, till I found a A500 user who
>was kind enough to let me try my PAL CPU with his Commodore Power Supply
>and Commodore Analog Monitor.  At this stage, I had no choice but to
>take the risk of destroying both my Amiga and my friend's power supply.
While it's true that you *can* destroy some flexsync (hope this is
not somebody's trademark ;-) monitors with wrong timing, or a synch
AC monitor, you can't do this to a computer. At least not one I know.

Supply voltages are dictated by the chips, and chips are chips, where
ever you go. You will even find 5V chips in the USSR.

This leaves the pin assigment of the power connector. Now, I'm *extremely*
paranoid about connector pin assigments changing quietly. I would have
measured the voltage on the pins before connecting and compared them.

>	When I turn it on, bingo! My PAL machine works perfectly with the 110V
>PS and the output to the (presumably NTSC) Monitor was PAL!
Happens that NTSC and PAL are not that different in timing, so many
monitors might synch up, even if not labled XyzSynch.

>	So,...  the moral of the story is that PAL Amigas does work in the USA,
>we just have to get a decent RGB Analog monitor and a Power Supply.
Maybe you should mention the type of the monitor. Standard CBM ?

--
| lchristoph@Sun.COM     (Internet)              | 		Disclaimer: |
| ...!unido!sunmuc!lupe  (German EUNet, "bang")  | 	  My employer has a |

p554mve@mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Michael van Elst) (09/27/90)

In article <lupe.654380558@alanya> lupe@alanya.Germany.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes:
>run off 110V/60Hz ? I would *hope* it does not derive it's time base
>from the line frequency.

It does :-). The timer routines are sophisticated enough to see if
it is 50Hz or 60Hz and adjust accordingly.

Regards,
--
Michael van Elst
UUCP:     universe!local-cluster!milky-way!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve

lupe@alanya.Germany.Sun.COM (Lupe Christoph - Sun Germany Consulting - Munich) writes:
>as I always thought that there is only 110 V. (Comments, Americans ?)

Oh, heck no! We Americans have all sorts of voltages over here.
208V and 480V 3 phase, 120V and 220V single phase, and more!
The nominal voltage in American homes is 120V (but it varies from
110 to 130, depending on power company loads and how far out in the
boondocks you are, etc). 220V is also available in most homes for running
heavy duty appliances such as clothes dryers, heaters and air conditioners.
The 220V is nominal also and varies from time to time and place to place.

Basically they (the power company) bring 2 powerlines and a neutral into
a distrubution panel outside a home. Between the two power lines you have
your 220V, between either line and the neutral wire you have your 110V.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,