[comp.sys.amiga] Neat Shell 2.0 Feature!

dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (09/19/90)

I discovered today that from the shell in 2.0 if you can CD to a directory
without typing the command CD.  For example, the command ":" CD's to the
root directory.

(I suppose more neat stuff like this is in the Using System Software
manual which I will read cover to cover RSN).
--
-Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)

bjornk@bula.se (Bjorn Knutsson) (09/19/90)

In article <7747@milton.u.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:

>I discovered today that from the shell in 2.0 if you can CD to a directory
>without typing the command CD.  For example, the command ":" CD's to the
>root directory.

That's an OLD WShell feature. It seems to me that Commodore is trying
to catch up with WShell. Well, from what I've seen of the 2.0 shell,
they still have some catching up to do. And Bill Hawes isn't just
sitting around doing nothing from what I've heard...

>(I suppose more neat stuff like this is in the Using System Software
>manual which I will read cover to cover RSN).
>--
>-Dale Larson  (dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu)

---
Bjorn Knutsson        / USENET: bjornk@bula.se or sunic!sics!bula!bjornk
Stangholmsbacken 44  /  Phone : +46-8-710 7223
S-127 40 SKARHOLMEN /  "The first rule of intelligent tinkering is to
S W E D E N        /    save all the parts." - Paul Erlich

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (09/20/90)

In article <11472@bula.se> Bjorn Knutsson <bjornk@bula.se> writes:
>In article <7747@milton.u.washington.edu> dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>
>>I discovered today that from the shell in 2.0 if you can CD to a directory
>>without typing the command CD.  For example, the command ":" CD's to the
>>root directory.
>
>That's an OLD WShell feature. It seems to me that Commodore is trying
>to catch up with WShell. Well, from what I've seen of the 2.0 shell,

	One could even go so far as to say that it's an old MS-DOS feature!

	-- Matt

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (09/20/90)

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
< Bjorn Knutsson <bjornk@bula.se> writes:
< >dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
< >
< >>I discovered today that from the shell in 2.0 if you can CD to a directory
< >>without typing the command CD.  For example, the command ":" CD's to the
< >>root directory.
< >
< >That's an OLD WShell feature. It seems to me that Commodore is trying
< >to catch up with WShell. Well, from what I've seen of the 2.0 shell,
<
<  One could even go so far as to say that it's an old MS-DOS feature!

If I am interpreting this feature correctly, there is no counterpart in
MS-DOS.  You cannot type 'c:\mydir\stuff' and change to that directory
under MS-DOS.  You CAN type 'c:' and make that the active drive, but it
does NOT change you to the root directory unless that was the last active
directory on that drive.

Let's not confuse powerful NEW features of AmigaDOS with antiquated
'features' of MS-DOS.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /o  -- -- --
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |||    -- -- -     I'm Outta Here, Man!

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (09/22/90)

In article <42707@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:
>mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
>< Bjorn Knutsson <bjornk@bula.se> writes:
>< >dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>< >That's an OLD WShell feature. It seems to me that Commodore is trying
>< >to catch up with WShell. Well, from what I've seen of the 2.0 shell,
><
><  One could even go so far as to say that it's an old MS-DOS feature!
>
>If I am interpreting this feature correctly, there is no counterpart in

Actually, its an old SeaShell (by Randell Jesup) feature.  Randell convinced
me it was a good idea for 2.0.  He probably also convinced Bill Hawes
it was a good idea for Wshell :-)

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"If you don't open the manual, all features are undocumented."

jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) (09/28/90)

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) writes:

>In article <42707@sequent.UUCP> cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) writes:
>>mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
>>< Bjorn Knutsson <bjornk@bula.se> writes:
>>< >dlarson@blake.u.washington.edu (Dale Larson) writes:
>>< >That's an OLD WShell feature. It seems to me that Commodore is trying
>>< >to catch up with WShell. Well, from what I've seen of the 2.0 shell,
>><
>><  One could even go so far as to say that it's an old MS-DOS feature!
>>
>>If I am interpreting this feature correctly, there is no counterpart in

>Actually, its an old SeaShell (by Randell Jesup) feature.  Randell convinced
>me it was a good idea for 2.0.  He probably also convinced Bill Hawes
>it was a good idea for Wshell :-)

>		andy
>--
>andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
>Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Why not just use WShell under 2.0 and get all of WShell's features?  Does WShell
not run under v2.0?
--

Jeff
jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

Jeff
jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

stefanb@cip-s02.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Stefan Becker) (09/28/90)

jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Jeffrey B Nicholson) writes:
>Why not just use WShell under 2.0 and get all of WShell's features?  Does WShell
>not run under v2.0?

It runs just fine.....

	Stefan

Mail	: Stefan Becker, Holsteinstrasse 9, 5100 Aachen, West Germany +-------+