[comp.sys.amiga] Ram Prices

U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) (10/08/88)

 #pragma flame

 As you  all know,  the American  govenment forced Japan to  export less
 electronic products to the USA.  As a result,  Japan produced much less
 256Kbit chips (among other things, of course).  The total production of
 these chips has  decreased so much,  that  there is a real  shortage of
 them. This leads to *much* *higher* ram prices.  If those higher prices
 were only in the USA,  it would not bother me too much,  but the prices
 have increased dramatically in the entire world.

 Now consider the following.

 A few weeks ago my Amiga 1000 (with 2M expansion) was at the University
 of Nijmegen  (the Netherlands)   because of  a programming  job that  I
 accepted.  They do not have any Amigas but the job required one.  While
 it was there, the ram expansion was stolen. Of course, I think that the
 university is responsible for repaying my damages,  but they don't seem
 to think so ("We don't have an obligation to guard your stuff" and "Why
 did you take it here, anyway?"). Even if I succeed in getting back what
 I originally paid for the expansion,  I still have a considerable loss.
 Just a bit of  calculation.  I paid (a bit more that  a year ago)  1300
 dutch guilders for the memory expansion.  (The current rate of exchange
 is about 2.10  guilders for a dollar).   But now the price  of RAMs has
 gone up so much,  the particular ram expansion (and the few others that
 are available in Europe) isn't even produced anymore because they would
 simply be too expensive. Almost nobody would buy one.   It is only with
 great difficulty that you can find a  2M ram expansion these days,  and
 then they are very expensive.  I heard about (dealer!)   prices of 2100
 guilders!! Not only have I been deprived of the use of my ram expansion
 (I can hardly do  without),  but even if I succeed  in getting my money
 back from someone,  I cannot even  buy a replacement because that would
 cost me an *extra* 800 guilders. I simply cannot afford that.

 Thank you, american government. Thank you very much.

 #pragma noflame

Freely_Distributable=Greetings(Not_For_Any_Commercial_Purpose)->
        Olaf.Seibert;
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    +++ Let me tell you that I disclaim anything you care to name +++
 --- Olaf Rhialto Seibert the Marvellous --- U211344@hnykun11.bitnet ---
                         7167 BYTES FREE
*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (09/27/90)

In article <1826@nemesis.stsci.edu> scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:
   At $57/chip for the 1Mx4 static column ZIPS (bank of
   8 to get 4MEG RAM) that's $110/MEG.  The 256x4 are even more per MEG
   (8 x $15 for a MEG, or $120).

If you're paying $15 per part for the 256Kx4 SCRAM ZIPS, you're being
screwed. I got mine for $6/part. That makes the price $48/Meg. I also
got quotes that beat your price for 1Mx4 SCRAMs, but by 20%, not 60%.
That still leaves the 4Mb parts nearly twice as expensive as the 1Mb
parts for each meg.

	<mike
--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

palmermg@infonode.ingr.com (Michael G. Palmer) (09/28/90)